Wednesday, June 20

Fruit Pizza

 


As you can see, it ends up looking better than it starts out. We were too impatient to wait for the crust to cool completely before adding the toppings. This was so easy to make, and the boys enjoyed both the making and the eating.

The crust recipes I found in my searches were, of course, all useless for a wheat-free crust (pre-made pie crust, cookie dough, etc.), so we used the Breakfast Foccacia recipe in The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. This recipe also makes a delightful danish!

The "sauce" is actually the cheese - equal parts cream cheese and whipped cream, beaten until smooth.

Top with your favorite fruits. In this case, I went with canned fruit - pineapples, mandarin oranges, and triple cherry fruit cocktail. This is the one and only time my children have willingly eaten fruit cocktail. (Our Wonderful Neighbors in MD would be so proud! *sniff* *sniff*) The oranges didn't make it onto the pizza. We fell to temptation. So good!

And in going with the whole cheese-as-sauce, sauce-as-cheese theme, the final product got drizzled with your basic, cooked, sugar-water-oj-vanilla sauce. There's some left over. We may have to make doughnuts tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, that sounds yummy! I was rather hoping you'd post something about it, because I was really curious about how such a thing would be made and how it would taste!

I am intrigued, I think I'll have to do it myself one of these days. :-)

Melora said...

Wow! That sounds Delicious! My little people aren't big on fruit, but maybe that would convince them. (And if not, all the more for the grown-ups!)

J-Lynn said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

Thom said...

That sounds and looks absolutely deeee-lish!!! I may have to give this one a try! :o)

Stephanie not in TX said...

So, how would you make this dairy-free? LOL