Wednesday, June 20

Birthday Countdown Time

*whispering*

Hi. It's me. It's almost three, and I've got to get some sleep, but I wanted to blog anyway. I'm so excited! My JohnBaby turns seven today. Seven! This is the child who keeps getting caught in age-warps. I swear he was two for almost three years. Five for only a month or two, and now *poof*, he's seven. I'll wax philosophic after I've had a little sleep.

In the meantime, we've got all the ingredients for John's birthday breakfast (he requested pizza - insert nauseated, confused Mom look here). I didn't think the rest of us could stomach pepperoni before noon, so I tweaked the plan to make a fruit pizza, instead. I think they'll all get a kick out of that. Zorak had a Very Cool Idea to pick up a Pirates t-shirt for him while I was at the store, so it's now wrapped and laid at the foot of his bed. It'll be his birthday suit. *grin* We may start a new tradition. It's not like any of them are going to stop growing anytime soon, so a new t-shirt is pretty much a necessity at any time. But this can be something we wouldn't normally buy, something a little different, something they've expressed an interest in. Just a little something. Sometimes that can bring the biggest smiles.

Today, we go bowling with two of our favorite Big People in the world, Me-Wa and Me-Tae. It should be a lot of fun, and a nice, low-key way to enjoy the day. James and Smidge and EmBaby bought him the Pirates of the Caribbean chest with three action-figures set, and he'll have that to open at the bowling alley.

The party itself is scheduled for Saturday. I have no clue how that's going to go. I have no clue if any of the children will be able to make it -- this is the week when everybody always seems to be going out of town for their Big Summer Trip. Well, whoever can come will have fun. Zorak's been making a Pirate Ship Pinata this week, and it's looking really good. I'll post pictures of the process once it's done.

We didn't make the mark of having it all done and ready well ahead of time, but at least this year it didn't sneak up on us. That's some improvement.

Ok, too tired to think. Talk to you later!
Kiss those great, big, growing babies!
~Dy

16 comments:

andie said...

Aww, happy birthday, John! Sounds like a great day coming up. It's funny, but without much thought our John has gotten a tee shirt of some sort like that for his past few birthdays, from his sisters. Last year was a pirate shirt.

Twice recently I've told Lydia (who, fortunately, keeps track on her own) that she's nearly 12. She'll be 11 next month. Two years ago, I had her a year too young for months. *sigh*

Jennie C. said...

Well happy birthday!

melissa said...

AWWWWW.....John is seven??!! HAppy Birthday Big guy!! What a big year this has been for him.

WTG on the birthday celebration preparations. It all sounds like so much fun. And I LOVE the Pirates t-shirt idea.

Happy Birthday John. Soak it all in. The family, the friends and the fun!!

Melora said...

Oh my! Seven? I would have guessed six!
I love the birthday t-shirt -- I may steal that idea from T.'s b-day next month!

Zorak makes pirate pinatas? Wow. I'm a little afraid to ask, but is that a Terribly difficult and messy project? We always have pinatas and, if it weren't too, Too hard, making one might be interesting.

I hope you get a good turn out. We have had parties where the guests all couldn't make it. K.'s 3rd (I think), particularly. Ed went out and rounded up neighborhood kids, and it was good. Very stressful for parents, though.

mere said...

Happy Birthday John!

From the ugly trunk family!

Crissy said...

Happy Birthday, John!

Dy, I just cannot believe your boys are not toddling around any more!
The birthday plans sound wonderful. Have a happy, happy day!

Crissy

Amber said...

Wow, 7! Happy Birthday, John! It sounds like a lovely day and I love your idea of a fruit pizza. Matt thought he should get a real one, but he's one of those weird people who can eat pizza at any time of day. Bleech! *grin*

Needleroozer said...

Yay for John! What a loving family he has. Today is sure to be full of many good memories.
We will call to surprise him with a birthday song tonight!
LB, who would have gone down to the basement with you to cry over how fast they grow up!

Jenni said...

Happy birthday, John!

Oh, I remember 7 and pirates before they were quite so popular. That picture of Danny as a pirate that I posted recently is from Caleb's 6th birthday. We used to do birthdays up big around here with themed parties, cakes, costumes, and weeks of planning and preparation for me. I'm a little bit glad that's over for at least the oldest three, but a little sad, too. The oldest two don't even want parties any more.

Ah well. Enjoy each stage as you come to it. I love having teenagers, but I think I might just go scan old photos and cry a little now.

H said...

Happy Birthday John!

Enjoy that birthday suit!

Hugs,
Mrs. H.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with pizza for breakfast? You've got a solid carbohydrate base and some vegetable, protein and dairy. It's all wrapped up in a nice convenient form factor and can be consumed either hot or cold (according to taste). :-)

Jules said...

Happy Birthday John!!

They grow way too fast, don't they?

It sounds like he will be having a great day. Good luck with the party too. You are a brave woman. ;)

Bridget said...

Happy Birthday John. How exciting, a new shirt, pizza for breakfast (I'm all for the real kind of pizza for breakfast, I'm one of those that can eat pizza any time of the day or night) and a homemade pinata. I can't wait to see the pictures. Have a great day!!

Claudia said...

Happy Birthday, John!!

Heidicrafts said...

I'm halfway through a four-day camp for Cub Scouts and we have a pirate theme this year. Arrrrr...

Have a great week, John.

Emily said...

Happy birthday John!! (Today is The Dude's bday, too.)

The wee ones are not so wee anymore!

Hope it was a wonderful day. Can't wait to see the pics.