Saturday, September 24

Wow, that was weird.

I fell asleep at a really early hour last night. Unfortunately, I fell asleep sitting upright, reading a book. Ow. It must have been good rest, though, because I was up bright 'n early this morning, before the sky grew light. How wonderful to sit on the porch, sipping coffee, reading a book (different book), and listening to the birds.

Oh, a PSA for this morning: JANET!! Calling JANET!! Can you email me? I saw your note to me on Donna's blog, but I can't find your email.

Let's see. Well, tonight we're going to see *squeal* *giggle* *jump up and down* Don Williams perform at the Big Spring Jam downtown. I'm not big on "seeing celebrities", and generally concerts aren't something I enjoy, but oh! This is Don Williams! This man sang in the background (8-track and cassette tape!) for almost every family gathering I can remember. In the Lefty Frizell/Kenny Rogers/Hank Williams Sr./Dolly Parton mix, Don Williams made appearances at a ratio of 3:1 for each other performer. I don't know who was the fan in the family was, but he was heavily represented in the soundtrack of my childhood. And he's playing here!!! *swoon*

If Zorak were the squealing, giggling, swooning type (which, of course, he's not, and I'm sure he'd like me to make that implicitly clear), he'd be right here with me, because after Don Williams plays, Dwight Yokam takes the stage. I'm pretty sure that although Zorak isn't visibly reacting, he's doing it on the inside...

So, yes, we are keeping our children out until the wee hours of the night to see these men play. To dance on the grass. To sing out of key along with the masters. To laugh as James shrieks, "I LOVE THIS SONG!" for the hundredth time in one evening. To watch Smidge smile and spin in circles with his arms outstretched. To sit with John on my lap, swaying to the ballads and hear his happy humming along with the tune. (The only thing that would make this event perfect would be a set by Freddy Fender as a nightcap. Like Zorak said, "Our children have impeccable taste in music.") To smile at each other and maybe slip in a waltz or two on the lawn.

I finished the biography of Ayn Rand, and the last chapter touched on her critics and followers. That was, perhaps, the best chapter of the entire book. It included quotes and reasoning both for and against. It highlighted the actual issues her critics took, both against her as a person and against her philosophy and fiction. I'm glad I finished the book.

And now, I'm going to go kiss my babies and enjoy a lovely Saturday morning. Hopefully our last one for a while without any work to be done!

~Dy

10 comments:

J-Lynn said...

The concert sounds heavenly! Just how I'd feel if Davy Jones would come to town. ;-)

Have a WONDERFUL day and night, you guys deserve it!!!

Laney said...

I have to be honest, I don't know the name, Don Williams, but I know all the others. If I heard his songs, I would probably know who he is. I come from a family that has bumper stickers that say, "If you don't like Hank Williams, you can kiss my @$$." LOL! My grandparents loved Dolly, Kenny and Roy.

I hope Dwight is wearing his tight pants, *snort* Honestly, how does that man sing in those skin tight Levi's? Have a great time!

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Don Williams sang, "But I Believe in You" about 25 years ago, right? (HA! Like you'd know about 25 years ago...) But if that's him, his voice could melt steel. What fun!

melissa said...

DWIGHT YOAKUM!?!?!!! WE Loooove Dwight! Have a blast! O.K. and I resisted posting this before when you mentioned Freddy Fender, but a second mention demands comment. Let's just say that a certain sister of mine became quite well known for a little personally choreographed number that she used to thrill visitors (ALL visitors) to our home with when she was about 7. This infamous jig was was danced to the jiving sounds of none other than, Freddy Fender singin' "Little Mama". BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! She's still got the moves..

Dy said...

Oh, Laney, Patty's right, his voice *could* melt steel. Don Williams sang, among others, "Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good", "I Believe In You", "Tulsa Time", "If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do)", "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend", and "You're My Best Friend". :-) There were others, but those are running around in my head right now.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the tight pants on Dwight are Wranglers. You would be amazed what men can still manage to do in those things. I've even seen them riding bulls in pants that would've had me passed out on the floor in far less than 8 seconds. LOL. I've tried many a time (unsuccessfully, might I add) to get Zorak to wear his Wranglers like that. He points at the boys and says, "You want more like that, you leave my pants alone, ok?" LOL.

Patty, you crack me up.

Oh, MELISSA!! Your mother has got to have a picture somewhere. You must get it. And blog it. I think I know which sister it was, and I've gotta see that! She and Smidge could do a little dance next time we're out your way. :-)

Dy, blowing time til it's time to go...

Kim said...

Oh, Dy, you're taking me down memory lane. In the early years of my marriage, my husband and I listened to a lot of Don Williams. What a smooooth voice!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Love, love, love Don Williams! :) Not sure who Dwight What's-His-Name is. Heard of him, of course, but no more than that. Slightly offended that Don Williams is opening for HIM, instead of vice-versa. ;) Hope y'all had a blast.

Dy said...

LOL! No, he didn't open for Dwight Yokam. It was just a series of performances at the Big Spring Park downtown. They had four stages going with performers nonstop from noon til around midnight this weekend. We lucked out in that those two were scheduled back-to-back. (And it was WONDERFUL!)

Dwight Yokam is not-quite-new-country. He's been performing for decades, does some *amazing* Elvis covers and his own work, as well. He's hard to describe - twangy, rockabilly, old-style, with a wee bit of rock (but not the soft-core pop rock country artists seem to do today, ew.) A good intro is his cover of "Little Sister", and you've probably heard his "Guitars & Cadillacs" before.

But, oh, what fun we had! :-)

Dy

Ernest said...

Last week, walking the mean streets of Kansas City, Missouri ... I saw a marquee that said, "Allman Brothers - Tonight". There was a line out front of suitably old people that made me suspect these might be the real Allman brothers.

I almost went.

And no, I don't know what this had to do with Don Williams.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Yes, I have heard that one before. :) He's no Don Williams, but he's not bad. ;)