Tuesday, September 20

Drawing With Children - some thoughts

I am not an artist.

I cannot draw realistically.

(Admittedly, there are times I cannot even draw recognizable stick figures.)

My family has "an artist".

I am not it.

So why bother?


These are the thoughts that implanted themselves in the dark recesses of my brain by the time I was an adult. Some of them had pretty much proven themselves as fact, if you go by observation and tangible evidence. I loved to draw as a child, and tried my best to continue to draw well into adolescence. But there was already an artist in the family who had "natural ability". We also had a Beauty Queen and The Smart One. I was The Smart One. That was my path, and those were the avenues made available to me (whether I took them or not is a different entry altogether.)

Now, did this scar me for life? Do I no longer consider drawing an enjoyable way to spend time? Am I incapable of enjoying art because of it? Will I end up flaying small animals and using their hides for decorative furnishings? Not really. No, I don't. No. Possibly, if it's a nice fur-bearer. In that order.

But... the point is that my attitude toward drawing, art, sketching, is affected by the influences of my life. The mere thought of "exploring art mediums" made me cringe. I just didn't really care until now. For people who love art and incorporate it into their daily existence, this may sound like sacrilege. If I were to switch out "art" for "reading", then yes, I'd be equally aghast. I cannot imagine a life without books! Egads! But art? Eh. No big loss.

So when I read the (painfully misleading) description for Drawing With Children in Veritas Press' catalog, I thought, "Oh, now this would be perfect for the boys!" (Translation: This is a no-brainer, step-by-step guide I can just throw together a couple days a week and satisfy that pesky niggling sensation that we must "do art". YAY!)

They lie.

Drawing With Children puts forth an entire philosophy toward art, drawing, creating, and ability. It will not permit you to proceed until you've convinced yourself that most of what the average person believes about art is, in fact, a myth. Then, and only then, can you proceed.

You work with your child.

You learn the tools to creating art.
You learn the process of creating art.
You learn that it's okay to say you really aren't satisfied with something you've done. It's no different than writing an essay and critiquing it when you've finished.
You learn that art is fluid, and creating art is an ongoing process.
You learn how to adapt.
Adjust.
Keep going.

One of the things I truly like about Ms. Brookes' philosophy is that is closely matches my philosophy about teaching reading, writing or math. (I'm going to paraphrase, here.) There is no magic lamp to rub in order to learn to create, whether it be art, writing, or mathematical models. There are tools and guidelines you must learn in order to be successful. We need structure and creativity in order to be successful. You can be as creative as ever, but without the proper structure and tools, you won't know where you want to take your creativity. Yet don't get so hung up on the technical aspects that you forget about the fluid, revealing and exciting nature of things. Remember, you need both.

Oh, how I love that. But I have never, ever, ever seen it applied to art. For some reason, everyone I've encountered treated art as though it was the one immaculate exception to this rule.

She does get a little Doe-Eyed Utopian-Liberal If-only-every-child-had-this-program-there-would-be-no-more-suffering-or-crime-or-shattered-children-bad-bad-feds-for-cutting-art-funding. I pretty much just take a sip of coffee, grab more bean dip, and move on. It's her book. If she wants to propagandize, well, that's between her and her publishers. I bought it for the art instruction, and it's in there.

I'm going to wait to begin using Drawing With Children. I want to be able to do it right, rather than just sling paper at the boys and call it good. They deserve better, and I can give it to them. It's going to take a lot more time, material and effort than I anticipated when I purchased it, but I'm very glad I did. And I look forward to exploring realistic drawing with the boys. Even Zorak said he might like to work through the book with us.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

J-Lynn said...

I've had similiar attitudes about things in my life, art being one of them. Singing another. I thought you either had it or you don't. And I didn't. But, I'm learning with great eagerness and joy what you are, that you can *learn* these things with the right tools and of course, the right attitude.

How fun!

Spinneretta said...

OK I snitched DH's account to post this :)

I actually tried the first lesson last week... it had taken me ages to get the 'perfect moment' to take part in the first lesson... and I still didn't have ALL the equipment for it... but I went ahead and did it anyway :) It went really well... I posted DS' picture on my blog:
http://homeschoolblogger.com/spinneretta/

~Rachel~

Unknown said...

It is sad because dh and his sister were raised the same way and are struggling with this now. Dh was the smart one and sister was the artistic one. They are both resentful to dad for encouraging them this way. Now dh has to get over that to realize that he is very artistic and creative it just doesn't come as naturally.

As for me, I love art but I am glad that there is a monart school close by that I hope to put the dc in!

Julie

Staci Eastin said...

At least you got to be The Smart One.

I wasn't The Smart One, The Pretty One, or The Talented One. I was The Short One.

::sigh::

Not that I'm bitter or anything. ;o)

H said...

BWAHAHAHA!!!

I was thoughfully contemplating Dy's post today, until I read your comment, Stacy, and burst out laughing. Thanks for a reminder to at least give my kids *positive* labels, if I'm going to label them at all.

LOL! :)

Bob and Claire said...

Well, I am glad that someone else also thinks that VP's description of it is "painfully deceptive"! I have no artistic talent, but I really wanted to give my boys a shot at being able to have their hands draw what their eyes are seeing,the way mine never did, lol, but I just couldn't make heads or tails out of the book to know what I should be showing them to do! I was very impressed with the pictures that the kids drew that are featured in the book, however. So yesterday Nathan and Luke started an art class at a friend's house. I think she might be able to help them where I couldn't! But I am really looking forward to seeing how your lessons go when you get started, and exactly *what* you'll be telling them to do, in what order!

L said...

Hey! That sounds like my family: The Smart One, The Artist, The Beauty Queen (that would be me, my brother, and my other brother, respectively.)

It used to be that I thought you had to have inborn talent to be an artist, but now I realize it's all about learning the techniques and practicing the skills. It's just vocational training (which to me means: any monkey could do it.)

Only this monkey lacks the discipline to sit down and practice...

Laney said...

LOL! From one stick figure mom to another!! I have no artistic ability whatsoever.Seriously.Deadly serious. That is why I send my boys to art lessons, this girl, she knows her limits! Teach them how to use a wrench, paint a ceiling, change a tire, I'm their girl. Just don't ask me to draw!

I just caught up, Congrats!!! So excited about the Forever Home!

Staci Eastin said...

::sputter, sputter::

You mean being The Short One isn't considered positive? And all this time I thought it was a compliment.

Just kidding.

I AM taller than my mother, though, so that counts for something.

Dy said...

ROFL Stacy. Yes, it can be positive. ;-) Although, we've had to stop saying that James "got my genes", which is a translation for, "He is going to have to hem every pair of pants he will ever own. Ever." He started thinking there was something defective in the gene pool. FWIW, I think you're considered The Witty, Fun One With The Really Great Dream Of Owning ALL THOSE BOOKS! (Does that help?)

OMGosh, guys, you have to check out Spinneretta's son's drawing! It's great! Thanks for sharing that with me - how encouraging.

Laney, I'm SO with you on that. I look at transmission jacks and dream of the day I can show the boys how to use one. This, though, I admit, still scares me a bit. I'm going to try to work through it first, like she suggests.

Ooohhh, Julie, you have a Monart school nearby? LUCKY!!!! No mocking the rest of us who have to muddle through this, ok? ;-) But I would love to hear about it when they start going, ok?

L, I'm sorry. I hit "monkey" and I lost it. That's funny. Not only does it not fit the inside joke we have here about monkeys, but you, of all people, are not among those I would think of as lacking discipline. Have you looked at your schedule lately?!?! I get tired just thinking about it.