Monday, September 12

Hodgepodge: House, Bikes, General Stuff

KathyJo kindly inquired as to the status of closing on our Forever Home. The last I'd blogged about it was my He Said/She Said post. At the time, Houdini was adamant that he could get it done, (I cringe even using this phrase now) as-is. Of course, he also said we'd be closing by the 13th (aka- tomorrow) "at the latest". Yeah. *breathe in... breathe out...*

Houdini called this morning to have us come sign the disclosure papers again. Said he needed driver's licenses, but had "everything else". Scheduled for eleven. We arrived. He was nowhere in sight. We met Jill. Jill is very hip. Very nice. Very unaware of what Houdini is going around telling his customers. *sigh* Turns out there is a new appraisal being done (but not done yet). Turns out they won't do it as-is, "if there are any major repairs that need to be done". Um... like HVAC, perhaps? "Right. We'll just get it fixed as cheaply as possible before we can close. Oh, and I need your most recent two months' bank statements" (you know, because this has been going on so long that the old ones are obsolete). Jill smiles. She has no idea why we are alternately wilting and seething under our pasted on smiles. It's not her fault.

But... *sigh* Of course.

I don't think this is going to happen. And I'm not sure how I feel about that. If it was a normal seller we were dealing with, it would be no problem to just meet with them and say, "Hey, here's what's going on," and work something out. But with the company that owns the property, it's not that simple. And if this broker insists that we have the same repairs made before going to closing, it's not going to happen. I hate to put that out there, but I just don't see any other way to make it a go. I did, but now this... We'll see, I suppose. I'm known for my pessimism, but I tend to see it as "justifiable realism" most of the time. It'd be really nice to be dead wrong this time around.

Today's theme at home: Boys on Bikes. All day long! Now that John's training wheels are off, he's a whole new critter. He's a mobile critter! And he really is doing great. He was up, dressed, fed and out the door by seven thirty. When James and Smidge finally got out there, he'd mastered a lot of his demons and was ready to explore. I let the boys drive "the loop" (around a block of garages in the middle of the parking lot). While the boys did lap after lap, Smidge hopped on his Big Wheels trike and made one very long, very strenuous, very diligent lap (mind you, his feet don't reach the pedals, so this was an inch-at-a-time process). Then it was time for snacks, because that took about an hour. He's like the world's most determined land tortoise! It's amazing. After we ran errands, got stranded (turned out we just needed a new battery for the Suburban, yippee!! Nothing big!), and then got home, the boys swarmed the front porch, strapped on their helmets and headed back out for another two hours' riding fun! I had to drag them in to eat supper. I had to bribe them with stories and munchy foods during the after work inundation of vehilces. (Well, okay, that was just for fun, but they kept eyeing the parking lot wistfully and making offhand comments about how the traffic was slowing and how it looked like everyone was already home...) I am terrified to think what time they'll be up in the morning, helmets and shoes over jammies, ready to ride!

However, we wanted them outside more. We got what we wished! I'm thankful they shrugged off the multi-media addiction so quickly. It's good to see how resilient kids are.

****

And for the rest of the stuff, well, it's pretty mundane today. I was wondering if my VP order might be in today... yeah, then I did the math. It's fun, though, to have something to look forward to which might actually arrive!

The boys enjoyed reading poems from Side-by-Side: Poems to Read Aloud - it's a delightful anthology of fun poetry from all manner of sources. The ever endearing Edward Lear, Rudyard Kipling, and James' favorite, A. Nonymous. LOL. He's convinced there's a story there somewhere.

The house is tidy. The boys are fed. The nights are cool, and the beds are warm. Really, what more can we ask for?

Oh, I know. Another day like that. Another day that ends with us all together, under one roof, fed and warm. With another morning to anticipate and savor all over again. Yep, we've got a lot.

Well, Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Amy said...

You are so much more steady and calm than I would be in the same position. I would be camped out on the manager's doorstep wanting to know exactly what was happening. Not that it would probably do much good - but it would make me feel better. Reading your experience makes my blood pressure go up, and makes me eye our house with a much fonder eye.

I am rooting for you!!

Amy in Apex

Dy said...

Oh, Amy, I'm not calm. Zorak said my calm demeanor at the broker's office helped keep him from going ballistic. Then I explained that it was a paralyzing trauma, not calm. He laughed, "Oh, well, it looked like calm. It helped."

I wept last night. I feel small. I am sad. I know we have so very much to be thankful for, but it's difficult to run the hurdles when the hurdles are on wheels and can be added at any point in the race, and get moved just as you try to leap them. My shins hurt from smacking into them each time.

Zorak is going to try to go w/ the appraiser and explain what we're talking about. I am going to talk to the realtor. We might try to schedule a meeting with everyone Houdini said he'd talked to about this and get everything on the table. Somebody's been less than truthful, and it hasn't been us, but we get to deal with it.

I told Zorak that if I can get my hormones under control, I plan to go Ayn Rand on their sorry butts. This is a wise investment, and that's what they're in business for!! We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the rooting and the prayers, guys. It helps.
Dy

Bob and Claire said...

Dy, we're praying here too. I thought our last house-closing was close and down-to-the-wire, but I'm seeing now that it was really a walk in the park compared to all your trials and tribulations. At least the boys have something new to keep themselves occupied--I loved hearing about the laps. Smidge sounds like Jonathan because he can't touch the pedals either. : )

J-Lynn said...

({({({({({({({(hugs)})})})})})})} Dy. Think about how much you'll appreciate the ForeverHome you get. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this on top of the pregnancy and all the other daily stresses of life, I really am. :-( All I can feebly say is it's worth it. Even though it doesn't feel like it is, it will be. Even if your ForeverHome has a different face.

About the bikes, how neat! My kids love their bikes too and it's below 90 today, I may actually load them all in the van for the park later. They'll be so excited...lol I can picture Smidge! He's so determined and cute. Isabelle would have given up and taken off running after the first minute I think...lol Probably begging for one of them to take her "uppie" on their bikes. *shudder*

Hugs! Jess

Jules said...

(((Dy)))

I am sorry about the house frustrations! That really stinks and I hope it is all figured out one way or another for you soon.
I know what it is like to get your heart set on a home that you really feel is the perfect place only to have it all fall apart at the last minute. But in our experience, we forced the situation and then found out that it wasn't the perfect place after all. We learned that sometimes it's better to let things take their natural course. I hope that is not what happens to you, but if it does, you have to trust that it's for a reason.

The boys on bikes are so exciting aren't they? I was thrilled last summer when all of my kids finally learned the two-wheeler. It's so much fun to watch them buzzing around on those things- acting just like...well... kids!

Dy said...

Wendy, yes, we are so very thankful for what we do have. And we'll keep working toward attaining what we want for the boys, for ourselves, and for our home. But even in the frustrations, we don't feel unthankful for what we do have, which is a whole lot! :-)

Jules, YES! They're KIDS. They're not babies now. They're kids. Growing, becoming more self-sufficient, turning into Big Kids. One day, they will be Young Men. Wow. I'm loving the adventure.

Dy