Saturday, September 17

This just might work!

Mr. Newest Appraisal Guy gave the Forever Home an all-clear, except for... Mold. Well, yes. It has mold. It probably had mold when the previous owners lived in it, and we knew it had Mold, but planned to remove anything Moldy and improve (or create, as the case may be) proper drainage once we were in. However, Fannie Mae says we can't have it if it has Mold now. OK, this is a hurdle we can leap. We don't mind that. We imagined the mold had become worse since Katrina swept through, anyway (and as we cannot convince the listing agent to turn off the water to the leaking water heater!!!) We were told Friday that if we could treat for that problem, the appraiser would give a clean bill of health and we could maybe kinda sorta possibly make it for our scheduled closing on Friday. This coming Friday. (I probably don't need to tell you how exciting the mere prospect of closing on this place is to us!)

Zorak did the legwork, discovered that bleach is a serious no-no in treating mold, ran through a number of searches and phone calls that make folks nervous about The Patriot Act, and found The Chemical Guru who helped hammer out the details. Yay! He left on his hunt this morning and returned bearing large quantities of stuff I didn't know you could buy without some kind of Federal licensing. Very cool.

We were all going to trek out together, but Smidge has An Alien hatching from his nostrils and John's digestive system rebelled violently to some unknown aggressor. By the time I contained the various HazMat issues, we decided the boys and I would stay home and Zorak would venture forth to conquer and destroy The Mold.

While the boys and I stayed home battling various unseen contaminants, Zorak stealthily began his recon mission. The Mold is, well, yeah. We can't blame Mr. Appraiser for marking it down. Zorak called me four hours after he left and whispered into the phone, "It's gotten worse. Way worse. Every internal door is hairy, and they're nothing compared to the baseboards. This is gross!" Um. Ew. (It was at this point that I quit feeling a wee bit put out that domestic duties prevented me from going on the excursion.) Zorak was glad the boys and I weren't there. I can only imagine how bad it must be by now.

Anyhow, several hours and a gallon of Mold-Be-Gone later, the house is decontaminating overnight. Zorak disturbed some kind of legless reptile (aka - unidentified, but angry snake) that was nestled happily between the window panes in the kitchen (and he killed it quite valiently, with a cafe curtain rod!) He came down with two or three cases of The Willies from all the Mold (and the realization that the Jacob's Ladder bathroom in the master suite is actually in better condition than the main bathroom, which is funny because I will. not. set foot in that back bathroom, and I now doubt my ability to accurately assess a situation for potential dangers. Do you take the back alley at midnight or cut through the biker bar? Normally, I'd take my chances in the biker bar... now, I don't know...) The high point of his trip came after he had the fans going. He stepped outside and said, "Oh, good. It smells like Mold outside the house now. I hope that means it's working." Poor guy. It was a noble mission, but probably rather nasty, as well.

Sorry, I ramble.

We'll go out tomorrow to open windows, put fans in all the rooms, and let it air out all day. (Please, please don't let it rain tomorrow.) We'll go back and vacuum/sweep out the ickies in the evening, and then meet the appraiser Monday morning for a final perspective check. WOOHOO! Now why couldn't it have been this easy from the beginning, eh? *snicker*

Lots of other stuff to write about, but I need to go do laundry, so it'll have to wait.

Kiss those babies,
~Dy

8 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Poor, poor Zorak! I'm so glad you and the boys stayed home! I'm sure in a really icky weird way it was still nice to be working on a house that will be yours. ;-)

I'm ROFL@him with the curtain rod and the snake!!!

({({({({(hugs)})})}) Hope everyone is feeling better and that from here on out things go smoothly. Have a great day in the house today!

Amber said...

All I have to say is "EWWWW!!" *grin*

Amazing how fast mold grows, isn't it? I hope that the gallon of mold-be-gone does the trick and you're able to satisfy the appraiser & Fannie Mae.

I'm just quivering in vicarious excitement over here, and wishing you all the best! :-)

Crissy said...

Goodness, woman! What is it with the critters in the places you live?
I still get the heeby-jeebies when I think of the spiders you had to contend with in Arizona. Now snakes in your kitchen?
You are one brave mommy!

Crissy

Gem said...

Why is bleach a no-no? That's what we've always used, but then again it wasn't on every vertical surface of the house, either. Someone once told me that Deuteronomy (I think) had a good remedy for mold, but I've never looked it up, lol!

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Ewwww is the only word. Zorak gets a SuperHero classification on this one. Mostly for the snake. But he would have anyway for the mold.

I'm glad there is *movement* (hahaha) on the house, but sorry there is movement IN it.

Stephanie not in TX said...

WHY does Fannie Mae care if the house has mold?

Dy said...

ROFL, the snake and the curtain rod were priceless. I still laugh at the imagery. But if it'd been me in the house, it'd still have a live snake in the kitchen. Or I'd have wasted all the mold-be-gone, dousing it until it left. *shudder*

Crissy, you should have SEEN the spiders today, too! ACCCKKKKK. Not just quantity (although nothing like the hatching, thankfully) but size and blatant "who needs camouflage when you're a badass like me" coloring. It was vile. I am thinking there are not enough bug bombs in stock at Costco to get me through this remodel! LOL.

Gem, bleach, even straight from the bottle, is only about 6% bleach. The rest is water. So while bleach will kill (or seriously weaken) the mold right at the very top, enough water seeps into surfaces to feed the mold beneath. Evidently, repeated use of bleach also trains the mold to pretty much just stay inside the walls and not venture to the surface anymore. But it doesn't kill it. How's that for EWWWW, huh? And here, I've always used bleach for killing pretty much anything!

Steph, don't you know the gov't has to set standards b/c the rest of us are just too darned incapable of making good decisions on our own? Informed consent just isn't good enough. We couldn't possibly understand what we're getting into, or we wouldn't be doing it. ;-) And we should all live by gov't standards, or by golly we just don't have the right to live! (Kind of like the fact that we don't have three children and I'm not pregnant or we'd be in violation of Health Dept. standards for living in this apartment, LOL!) Not that I have an opinion about these things, mind you...

Dy

Stephanie not in TX said...

Obviously it's been too long since I bought a house ... I'm going to crawl back into my cave now where I can pretend that if I want to BUY something, all I have to do is PAY for it ...

:::::shudder:::::