Wednesday, September 21

Happy 7th Birthday, Sweet Baby James!

Well, not a baby anymore. He curled up in my lap this evening, and had to sort of fold, accordian-style, to fit. There's a lot of limb to that boy!

He Who Normally Sleeps Late awoke this morning before six-thirty and came bounding into our room, whispering, "I'm seven! I've been seven for almost seven hours! Want to sing to me?" We sang. We talked. We told stories. We stole the covers from Zorak. We giggled and made plans for the day.

He loves life. He loves learning and growing and loving and sharing. What more could we ask for?
He loves his brothers and adores his parents.
He thinks "family" is the ultimate God-ordained gift given to man to enjoy on this earth.





He's funny. I mean honest-to-goodness funny. His jokes make sense now, and his wit is pretty sharp. The twinkle in his eye is a dead giveaway that he's just laid out a good one, too, and knows it.

He still laughs with the abandon of childhood, ending with the gasping breath of exhaustion and a giggly comment about laughing so hard he's weak.
He appreciates beauty. Strength. Friends. Sunshine. Chemistry.

He believes in ends of rainbows and making wishes on any occasion.

He thinks relighting the candle will give it an extra wish for his brother to share.

He takes disappointments with the kind of grace I can only dream of having. But he still hurts with his whole Big-As-Texas heart. He forgives quickly, and seeks forgiveness when he's wronged someone. Little joys make him smile. Little losses make him cry.
He's there. He's in the game, and there's no stopping it.

He's still a little guy in so many ways. He still can't keep his hands to himself in the car, and he still would rather wear his pajamas and cowboy boots to church than have to wear clothes. He still tackles Zorak in the doorway at the end of each day and hangs on him as if he hasn't seen him in years. He questions everything, accepts very little for face value, and yet will gladly obey his parents simply because they've asked him to (but he would still kinda like to know what's up *grin*.)



I know it won't be long before he stops bringing his blanket to the couch to snuggle and watch a movie by my side. There may not be many more nights where he asks me to scale to the top bunk to read stories by the glow of his reading lamp. Someday he won't need my help opening a fresh jar of olives, or getting the laundry done so he has fresh clothes.


All the ways I have to show him how much I love him will someday be the ways he knows he was loved and can take care of himself. And I will have to find new ways to show him how much I love him. Well, no. I will get to find new ways to show him I love him. They will come as I get to know him in each new season of his life, as long as I take the time to get to know him in each new season.


In the meantime, words of encouragement, spontaneous laughter, time together, and shared joys will help bridge that gap. They might even fill the gap so there simply isn't one and we'll journey together even as he explores at his own pace. That's exciting. He's exciting.

And to think it all started just seven short years ago, with the birth of one tiny baby boy, and the birth of two new parents. He made us parents, and we will cherish that gift, always.

HAPPY SEVENTH BIRTHDAY, JAMES!

Love, Mom

10 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

That's beautiful. Happy Birthday to your "baby".

Staci

Amy said...

Happy Birthday James!!

Mamabird said...

What a wonderful boy. What a lucky mom! Happy birthday,James!

J-Lynn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY James!!!

I still can't believe he's 7. And mine is 8. Loved what you wrote.

Jules said...

Happy Birthday James!

Dy, you have such a way with words- I loved this post! It brought tears to my eyes. What a great gift to James- a window into his childhood and who he was (is) as a child. It will be great for him to read this when he's thirty!

Bob and Claire said...

Sounds like a precious boy, Dy! I hope you all have a wonderful day celebrating him! : )

Gem said...

Happy Birthday, James!

Dy, we are going through so many of the same stages at the same time (well, those that aren't gender-specific)! Dd6 will be 7 in December, and my Baby Boy will be 2 in October. I have one in the middle, also, but don't know how she lines up with your littles!

Thom said...

Happy Birthday (belated!), James! Hope it was a great day!

Laney said...

Checking in late to say, Happy Birthday James!!

Great pictures, sweet boy, happy day!

Spinneretta said...

Hi Dy,
Strangest of co-incidences... now it is MY James' birthday :)... mine is six, and these times are so precious aren't they?
I Hope your James had the best day!