Sunday, September 11

Semi-Intentional Education

Limbo has been good for the boys in some ways. I don't know what they are just yet, but that's okay. Someday, one of them will stun us all with some characteristic that's quite unique and handy, and we will be able to trace it to this time. Then, it will be good. For now, however, enough, already!

It started out innocently enough. We kept up the basic three: math, Latin, language arts. During the move, over the summer, we didn't stop. But when I needed the math blocks and couldn't find them, I thought, "Well, we'll pull them out when we get moved into the big house. A short break won't hurt, really."

What I didn't realize at the time was that math is the foundation to beginning our school day. The boys would dive into their math while I fixed breakfast, and that set the tone for the rest of the morning: Latin, reading, snack time follow math. When math stops, it all comes to a grinding, screeching, train-wreck like halt. Zorak of the Hunting & Engineering Tribesmen may think it is a grand thing to have all learning tied directly to math, of course. I (of the Reading & Baking Tribe) am not entirely convinced. (Next Blog: tribal intermarriage and the priorities it confuses.)

Each week, for the past four or five weeks, I've been thinking, "We'll be moving soon, so I don't really want to pull out more things... we can hold off a little longer... well, then we'll be remodeling..." From there, it became a little pathetic, and while I had convinced myself I was OKAY with the lack of structure and aim to our days, it's not working out so well for the boys. That structure and aim is our lifestyle. It's who we are, and we feel a wee bit adrift without its comforting, guiding presence in our daily rituals.

*dum-da-daaaa!* (This is where we stand erect, with our hands on our hips and our chins thrust forward.) WE CAN CHANGE THIS!

Ahhh, see? That felt good, didn't it? I know it did for me, although it also reminded me that my posture has gone the way of Quasimodo. It hurts to stand too erect.

Uh, *ahem.* OK, so. ANYway...

Following some pretty great talks with the boys about hurricanes and dikes and levees and such, I ran smack into a wonderful spark of serendipity when I found Of Dikes and Windmills, by Peter Spier, at the library last week. Oooooo. This is neat. So, I thought to myself, I'll read it first, then read aloud with the boys and we can learn about the process of protecting the land. This is good stuff to know. (This is not a unit study. This is not a unit study.)

And then I found The Story of Numbers, by Patricia Lauber. Oh, what a delightful book! Oh what fun! We need to take the time to read this a chapter a day and explore it more fully. (This is not a unit study!) Yes, we'll do this, too.

Then I managed, through truly poor financial estimation on my part, end up with a little left over cash...

and an internet connection...

and we now have our first ever order from Veritas Press winging its wild little way to our doorstep! I've never ordered like that before. It was exhilerating. It was addicting. First, I ordered Famous Men of Rome, but then noticed that they have a hardback edition of Henty's The Cat of Bubastes and I really didn't want to skip a good Henty read aloud... Oh! And Jill has mentioned Ancient Rhymes so many times! And look, it's right there! That'll be fun! Oh, hey! While I've got it all going in (presumably) one box, they also have Drawing With Children! And... and...AND...

*muffled voice wafts in from the other room* "Honey, what are you doing?"

*stifling my manaical laughter* Uhhh... *clears throat* Ordering books?

*sighs from other room* "Ok." *then, more quietly* "You are so weird sometimes."

And so it is, that with renewed enthusiasm (although I've still gotta go dig up the blocks, but somehow the issue of bringing in two small math boxes seems pretty silly compared to the package en route, doesn't it?) We will begin our schooling for the year. James begins second grade officially tomorrow. John begins Kindergarten. And I'm so excited! What FUN! What fun we'll have together, doing the things we love, instead of living in a self-imposed limbo, waiting for some intangible (and increasingly questionable) "when" to arrive.

If it gets interrupted, so be it. We'll modify. The boys can take their sketch pads to the property and practice their newfound drawing skills. We might need to add binoculars and a good classification text, too. (But none of these are unit studies! I swear it!) It's all good.

And on that note, I must get to bed. John has the training wheels off his bike now, and we need to get out there in the morning to ride - before it gets warm and all we want to do is sip tea and read books (because, let's face it, like I need a lot of arm twisting to sit down and read!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny! That's like me in any bookstore or at home ordering books.

Julie

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Jack loves Famous Men of Rome. We're doing Memoria Press' Classical Studies, and it's part of that. Recently, I told him that we were having a light school day, and the bottom lip came out as he asked, "Can we at least do Classical Studies?" :D

Amy said...

What you are not supposed to become giddy when you realize that you have extra money and an internet connection available to many book/audio distributors. Must add that to my master notebook as a reminder.

And you are right - those are not unit studies. They are platforms of introduction for the boys to leap off and explore from, for them to follow theire own rabbit trails of discovery while you scramble to keep up in their wake.

Amy in Apex

pilgrimama said...

Dy,I suppose it's time for me to introduce myself considering I read your blog one of the first things every morning!I suppose I should link it to my blog as soon as I can figure out how to do that!I knew we were awfully like-minded when I read the post on the "eleven bookshelves" and of course lots of other things!We have been living the "limbo life" for over a year now with a few more months on the horizon with our three little ones,ds 4 next month,ds 3 next month and dd 1 yo in Nov. I really feel for you and admire your courage.And I so liked this last post of yours-inspired learning is so exciting! Good-luck! Marcella

Dy said...

Julie, you make me feel so normal! I love it!

KathyJo, You're going to have to let me know how the Classical Studies is working out. I eyed that, and contemplated, but decided to hold off in case the boys were a) too young, and b) it would require more than I could give while we floated about. I'd love to hear more thoughts!

Amy, *I* think we're supposed to get giddy - that's good. But I think it makes the menfolk a wee bit nervous because they can hear their paychecks whirring out the door.

Marcella, Hi! Thanks for introducing yourself. (psst - your name links to your profile and we can read your blog from there - no need to link!) {{{hugs}}} on the limbo. There's just nothing for it sometimes but to "go a little lower now" and sing the song in your head when things get frustrating. Hang in there!

Dy

pilgrimama said...

Oh,Dy, I meant have a link on my blog to yours:) I want to make a favorite blogs list,just haven't had the mental energy to figure it out. Soon,I hope! Marcella

Bob and Claire said...

I love the VP catalog too! I've often almost ordered Ancient Rhymes because it looks so good--let me know how your boys like it. I wasn't a big fan of Drawing With Children though. That was before I had discovered the WTM boards, however, so I just didn't have a clue how to actually go about teaching it. Since then, I've seen some good lesson plans based on it there, so hopefully you will have more success than me! Also, I am terribly art-challenged, so it was a stretch to begin with! I think your (non) unit studies sound absolutely wonderful and fun--I bet when your boys are grown, they will remember this time of limbo as a time of great fun and adventures, and they will remember tons more from it than from when you are super-organized! : )