Thursday, September 22

Rather Anti-Climactic Week, Here

Hey.

Quiet tonight.

Boys are in bed. House is looking gorgeous. Caught up on laundry and seriously considering some kind of clothing moratorium for fall. You can change (must change, actually) skivvies daily, but everything else gets three days' wear or you go nekkid until the three days is up. We produce too much laundry. It's amazing. Then I think of Mel Gibson's poor mother and feel pretty footloose about our piles. Still, there's probably room for improvement in here somewhere.

I'm reading a biography of Ayn Rand (and why didn't anyone tell me it rhymes with mine not payne?!? Thanks, y'all! Sheesh. At least I can pronounce Goethe, even if I can't do the little doppleganger doohickies on top of my vowels when I type. What are those, again?) Anyway. Wow. It must be time for an early night. The words are flowing, but not in any one direction.

SO. *ahem* *sips coffee* Yes. I'm reading this biography, in which the author claims to be "neither a disciple nor a critic" of Rand's. He comes across as just a wee bit schizophrenic, to be honest. I'm toolin' along, reading pretty basic discourse and then out of nowhere he throws out, at the end of a paragraph, "Obviously, she missed the point of the complexity of the issue." Then he moves on, and the reader is left thinking, "What the hell is he talking about?" (Pardon the swearing, but that is EXACTLY the word that comes to mind 98 pages into this book, after he pulls that weird segue for the umpteenth time.) He makes a number of random judgement calls out of nowhere, but does nothing to back them up or expound on them, leaving the reader going back time and again in a futile attempt to figure out what she missed. (Futile because you did not miss anything. His comments are just There. Alone. With nothing to hold them up or tell you where they came from. They're like mental orphans.) At this point, I'm finishing the book because I'd like to see if this continues, and if I ever grow accustomed to it. Still better than Huxley, but man I miss O'Brian, and as far as non-fiction goes, this guy has nothing on Forrester. *smile*

Let's see... what else? It's only mid-August. Or that's what you'd think if you woke from a coma and wandered outside today. Hot. Too hot for late September. It's hot. Yuck.

Oh! And did I TELL YOU that our library is going to be adding the ability to put books on hold?!?!? This is better than Christmas for me. Well, it might be Christmas before it kicks in, so that's probably not a good description. Anyway, I made a pathetic attempt to hit the library sans children one night after supper, before they closed. (Have you seen those shopping game shows, where contestants fly down the aisles, indiscriminately throwing items into their carts, careening around corners to beat the clock to the checkout stand? There's your image. I still have no idea what I checked out.) I asked at the counter if they had *pant, pant* considered adding that *wheeze, pant* feature. You know, since iBistro was *gassssspp* developed here... it would make sense to *pant* use the features incorporated into it... and... I had to stop talking or risk passing out from hyperventilation. It's hard to run down stairs carrying a basket of books when you're out-to-here pregnant! The nice man waited for my gasping to subside so I could hear him over the sound of my own inhalations and said yes, they've actually been trying to get it up and running for a while and it's just taken a lot longer than anyone anticipated. He does expect it to kick in soon, though. WOOHOO!!! I'm so psyched!! HOLD! HOLD! A beautiful word. It is the blessing of mothers in libraries everywhere to be able to pick up preselected titles and then spend the library time snuggling, teaching and guiding their children through the Library Experience. Yay for the Madison County Library System!!

Ah, and on that note, I'd better get some rest. I promise not to be so random with tomorrow's blog.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Kim said...

I like your random blogs; it feels like we're sitting together in a porch swing just talking.

Staci Eastin said...

LOL. You should write book reviews. Great post!

Thom said...

I enjoy your random blogs,too.

I'm currently in the middle of "Atlas Shrugged" and enjoying it ,thoroughly. Great book! Ayn Rand is amazing. I wish the biography you describe was a better read. I'd love to know some of the experiences in her life that brought her to write the book. And, no, I didn't know it rhymed with mine, either! ;0)

Donna Boucher said...

Me too! (About the ramdomness of the blog)

Three outfits. A very good thing.

Dy said...

Thanks, guys. I like that you come have coffee (or your beverage of choice) and visit.

James, you crack me up. We are getting old. Someday we will have earned the right to be as crotchety as we are. It will be good.

Stacey, I, um, don't think anybody would pay me for my opinion and thoughts on books. LOL. Good thing I can do this for free, eh?

Thom, I think, I think just maybe, you helped me hit a very elusive nail on the head!! I'm SO EXCITED!! Thank you. (And get your sister to read it when you're done, okay? I need more research before I can make my thesis!) How exciting!!

Dy

Spinneretta said...

So how DO you pronounce Goethe? ;)

Amber said...

No hold at your library system?? GACK! I would go nuts, nuts, I tell you! I hope they get it up and running ASAP.

And I totally agree with you about the laundry thing. Right now my daughter is doing this 2-3 outfits a day thing sometimes and it is piling up way too fast. I'm trying to explain that just because it was on her body for an hour it does not mean it needs to go through the laundry, but so far I've only had limited success.

Gem said...

Wow, Dy, our littles are almost EXACTLY the same ages!!! You're right, 3 is a lot of fun -- I can't imagine 4, though. Several lately have asked if we're done. I replied that I am, I think I'd lose my mind with 4. But of course, whatever God wants will prevail.

Unknown said...

Awwww....I love that quiet in the night! There really is nothing nicer than that after a long day with the kiddos.