Thursday, September 8

Overheard & A Day of Joy

The boys are fascinated with my maternity clothes. They think someone was just an absolute genius to design clothing that stretches only in the tummy, or is cut to hang properly when filled out with a big ol' belly. Maternity wear is a highly prized invention in our home.

This morning, I lumbered out of the closet, fastening the straps to my Old Navy overalls, and both boys looked a little confused (they both stopped talking and struck the RCA puppy pose). Shortly, James asked, "Those aren't maternity... are they?"

"No," I laughed, "they're just overalls, but they still fit and I thought they'd be comfy today."

"WOOOOOOOW!" Says James, his voice filled with awe, "Those must be HUGE!"

****

Today we ran like the wind. Not actually r-a-n, you know. I leave that for things like fleeing burning buildings or evading angry dogs. But we ran errands and accomplished so much. We hit the market to get the pregnancy tea herbs, some yogurt and wf granola. Evidently, I didn't eat enough at breakfast, though, because on the way to check out, I felt a little queasy. I grabbed a smoothie from the impulse-buy rack and threw it in the basket. By the time I'd written out the check, I was sweating, dizzy, and trembling. Then I couldn't stand up! ACK! The cashier wasn't terribly observant, and she got a little testy with me when I handed her the check without my driver's license. "Ok, ok, hang on. I just. Have. To. Sit. Forasecond." *I slid down the wall to crouch near the floor (it's a concrete floor and I didn't want to have far to fall if I did pass out.)* The nice lady behind me noticed the sweat pouring down my face and that I was trembling so badly I couldn't get my license out of its completely impenetrable hiding place in my wallet. Bless her heart, she loaded the bags in the basket and called the manager over. I was able to explain that I was just very hot and needed to get outside, sit down, and have a drink and I'd be fine. Then the cashier took her hands off her hips and realized I wasn't being a pain in the butt, here. LOL. The manager tried to get a stockboy to push the cart out, but the boys said they would do it and would take good care of their mama.

The stockboy followed me out, anyway, fawning over the boys the whole way. He helped load the boys and the bags into the Suburban while I sucked down the smoothie and ate a ginger snap. He lectured me for parking "so far away", and made it quite clear that "with all you have to haul, people can just get used to you parking wherever you need to, okay?" That gave me a good chuckle. He stayed until I could show him I was okay. Just a little case of poor judgement on my part, but we'll be fine. *sigh* How embarrassing. But also, what a great, wonderful gift to have a market where the folks are so kind and helpful. Even the cashier was nice once she realized what was going on. I am really thankful for where we live!

****

Once the soy protein and fructose rush kicked in, I felt much better, so we headed off to the library, where I made my monthly depost to the Fund for Wayward Books, renewed the few that had somehow avoided our big recon plan back at the house, and then we...

Trekked to the third floor!

There is nothing on the third floor, really. It's where they store the historical archives (OK, I'd love to be given an afternoon of free reading up there, but this wasn't the boys' main goal)... No. They just wanted to stand on the balcony of the third floor and look down at the circulation desk from Way. Up. High. That was kinda fun, really.

After that, we got down to business, rounded up the next batch of books to mysteriously disappear somewhere in the boys' room, and spent a few hours reading books there at the library. We love the library. :-)

****

The rest of the day was quiet. Nice. Cool and breezy. Fresh summer watermelon and silly stories. Relay races in the living room and dancing to Freddy Fender. More dreaming on the house. More great Daddy stories.

And now, more quiet. I can hear the rustle of pages floating from James' bed. Zorak is immersed in the Home Depot book and the Wolf ranges and ovens catalogs. I hear my latest edition of America's First Freedom calling to me. And fresh coffee brewing.

Have a truly beautiful evening with your loved ones, and as always,
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

Jules said...

Oh wow! What a day! It is so easy to forget to take care of ourselves when we have three(or four!)other people demanding our attention.
This is me with my bossy voice-- Take some time to relax, young lady. Make sure you eat right and get plenty of rest. You're taking care of two now, you understand? ;)
I am glad the day ended with a trip to the library. That always makes my day too.

J-Lynn said...

I remember being pregnant with #4 and something similiar happening. I was overheated, felt like the baby was falling out, and like my legs would give out. I was standing at the deli counter resting my head on the shopping cart bar when a kind elderly woman who has been-there-done-that touched me on the shoulder gently. I started and she asked me if I was OK. "Yes" I told her, "Just pregnant". She gave me a knowing nod and smile and went her way.

Hugs to you Dy, carry glucose tablets or an energy bar in your purse and you'll be good-to-go!

Jess

H said...

Ooooh!! Good idea, Jess! Carrying something with you! *Planning ahead!*

I had a couple of episodes like this while pregnant, and a couple of close calls. How sad is it that it never occured to me to plan ahead and put a granola bar or something in my purse! LOL!

Your boys sound so sweet! Taking care of their mama..... awwwww....!

Randi said...

Sounds like quite a day! During my pregnancies I always had to make sure that I ate frequently or I would get dizzy and light-headed. Lucky for me it never happened in public! ;)

Dy said...

Wow, that seems like such an obvious solution, doesn't it? *smacks forehead* I will have to do that, definitely. Thanks for the tip.

I am also somewhat glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to. *sheepish grin*

And yes, the boys are the joy of my life. They are so loving and gentle. :-)

Dy

Treasured Grace said...

I am so glad you are ok, nothing more embarrassing than doing that in public. I love that your boys take such good care of you, they sound sooo sweet.
Hope your day today is UN-eventful
Hugs to you
SA

hornblower said...

I fainted in our skytrain (a small commuter train). I was pregnant with #1 but not really showing yet & didn't have a seat. I would have landed right onto someone's lap but I felt it happening & mumbled "excuse me, I'm going to faint" & he quickly got me seated, head down & fanned me. Then some other guy gave me a juice from his lunch.

After that I didn't get on the train unless I could get a seat. It was easier once I was showing because people will usually give up their seats if you make eye contact. Once I stepped into a train & saw all the seats were taken & I was just too tired to do anything about it & just turned to step off & wait for the next one, when a guy who was also standing, bellowed out "excuse me people, this lady needs a seat!" & so I got a seat :-)

It is nice to know that most people are still nice and decent & will help.

Donna Boucher said...

Oh the boys are going to love when your tummy gets really big and they can see and feel movement!
What absolute joy!

Donna

Amber said...

Wow, what a day! I'm glad that your incident happened somewhere where you could easily get some food - much better to have that happen at the market than at the library! I've had that sort of thing happen too, but luckily only at home and never when we are out. I always try to travel with some sort of snack in my purse and some water at least reasonably nearby and I have definitely had to use it to stave off falling over.

Emma loves my maternity clothes too - especially the couple summer dresses I picked up on sale a couple weeks ago! Whenever i wear overalls she checks to make sure I am wearing a maternity shirt under them and not a regular one - for some reason this is very important! *grin*

BTW, Shannon, thanks for the tip about the protein bars! I'll have to look for those. I could really use an easy source for a nice, large chunk of protein.

Crissy said...

Oh my goodness! You take care of yourself, dear.

How comforting to know that you have such helpful folks in your neighborhood.

Crissy

Laney said...

See, now, in New Jersey, someone would have just pushed you over and stolen your checkbook. How many bedrooms did you say were in the Forever Home? Enough for an extra family of five, LOL. I wish I had your neighbors.

Glad you did not suffer permanent damage!!:-)

Emily said...

UGH! The pregnancy-passout! I passed out sooo many times while carrying Walker. Once in the shower, I fell out and woke up naked and wet on the floor. That was embarassing even though no one was around!! It also happened at almost every doctor appointment when they insisted I lay on my back. No fun!!

Take it easy and dream of your new house!!

~Em

L said...

The water delivery at the botanical gardens and now the grocery store aid... Lucky? Blessed? You are, certainly, Dy. Just waiting to hear something wonderful on your closing date.

Jess, I remember wheeling myself through the supermarket, slumped over and hanging onto my cart, and embarrassing my two older girls who couldn't understand why Mommy was chugging one of their small orange juice cartons right there in the store. You gotta do what you gotta do. :)