Thursday, September 1

Cool Kids and Pregnancy Updates

Guess what? I'm 21 weeks pregnant! The sad thing is that I know this only because I am three weeks behind Jess and I just checked her ticker on her blog. 21 weeks. More than halfway. Wow. Normally pregnancies only go quickly when it's someone else who's pregnant, but this one is really flying!

I finally managed to make contact with our midwife so we can have a consultation. It's scheduled for next Wednesday. Um, yes, I know. Well, let's see... what goes on in the first few months of a pregnancy? They remind you to drink water, eat right, get rest, and not exert yourself. Well, ok. This is my fourth child. I'm not too concerned about the water and the food. I've never rested well, although I do pass out on the couch when I need it, so no worries there. And not exert myself? *snort* Reference the part about this being my fourth child. Moot point, if ever there was one. Um, take prenatals? Check. Had our Wonderful Family Doctor send me some of her Bunny-Hugging-Uber-Digestible-Iron-Vegetarian-Vitamins as soon as we found out. Check.

AFP test? Declined, thanks. Iron? That can be tested non-invasively. Really, the only thing a medical practitioner can do for us that we haven't done for ourselves is the protein check. So I don't feel too badly about not having formal prenatal care the first few months of this pregnancy. However, it will sure be nice to know that when it's time, we'll have backup. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

The boys still kiss the baby good morning. And call it Jorge. They've been so snuggly lately, even James, who is normally not quite as ready to snuggle.

We ate at the Waffle House yesterday after meeting with Cool HVAC Guy, and we had the best time. (Don't laugh, it's true.) The boys wondered if the ladies working at the Waffle House had Stay-At-Home Daddies taking care of the children. We talked about how Mommy worked before she was a Mommy. They thought that was a pretty neat concept, and they asked all kinds of questions about what I did. Then John said, "But now you have a new job, right?" Right. And James said, "And do you know how you get paid?" I smiled, "Well, I have an idea..." He leaned into me and giggled, "With happy children!" Oh! What a wonderful pay scale!!

The boys told jokes, sang songs, and visited with the amazing waitress we had. Smidge laughed hard and came very near giving himself the obligatory head-slam into the edge of the Waffle House table. Every child of ours has spent at least a week with that linear bruise on his forehead from doing that. Smidge's time will come, I'm sure.

Zorak has moved our loan packet. We'll see if this works.

Share some humor today, enjoy your family, and kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Mamabird said...

Yet another reason to love Dy... her affinity for the WH! We, too, are a WH family. Before we moved, we went to this one WH every Sunday morning so consistently that after a while, the manager started calling in our order when he saw us pull into the parking lot! Sure made Sunday breakfast go fast!

Glad your pregnancy is going well. I'm with you on the wait-a-little theory of prenatal visits. If you're eating, sleeping, and taking vitamins, you're doing everything you oughta be.

Congrats on happy children!

Stephanie not in TX said...

You know, you can even buy sticks to pee on to test your protein yourself, if you want to.

I don't hurry in for early prenatals either ... I've read all my midwife's textbooks and have them for reference, anyway ;-)

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, looks like I'm with you as far as early prenatal care with this one! I guess I would actually have to figure out what my options are before I can even think about seeing someone! Not too worried though--if it does turn out we can only get seen an hour away, then I just won't be seen very often at all. Even the military can't do much about that! : ) Glad you're feeling so good!

Laney said...

Doctors? We don't need no stinkin' doctors!

A literary classic,The Three Amigos!LOL

Hey, if worse comes to worse, Stephanie can deliver the baby, she's got all of the books! ;-)

Jersey Girl said...

That is the best stress reliever - counting your blessings when it seems like you've got anything but blessings at the time. We've done that in our home and it always surprises me (although it shouldn't) just how many things there are in a bad day/situation to be thankful for. Especially your well mannered/behaved children.

J-Lynn said...

OH the boys are awesome Dy, but you knew that. ;-) I'm glad the HVAC guy was great too, and your waitress. It's amazing how they can make or break your meal. :-)

And you know my stance on the prenatal stuff. BTW, I haven't had a single test yet besides the sono to be sure everything was OK after the preterm. ;0) I've been wondering if the DR has forgotten me...hehe

Jess

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I've never had early prenatal care. It was never intentional, but there was something weird going on each time. With Jack, I didn't even KNOW I was pregnant until I was 3.5 months along. With Sam, we were in the process of moving. And with Jed, we'd just moved again and it took me quite a while to find a midwife.