Tuesday, August 30

House Update!

Well, there's good news and there's.. not-so-good news.

The good news is that late this morning the Sellers faxed "closing instructions" to Amazing Realtor. She said that's the same thing as a signed contract - they just send the signed contract to the title company (or someone in Birmingham with some authority to receive such precious documents, I assume) and from there, it's a go.

A go. That's -- that's good. Right? So... why doesn't she sound happy? (I ask through gritted teeth, using my best Special Ed Teacher Voice.)

WELL, yeah. Let's back up, first. Yesterday, Amazing Realtor and Nice Mortgage Man had to draw lots to see who would call with news from the underwriters (hereafter known as The Hounds.) The Hounds have decided, after reviewing the paperwork, that while the contract states that we'll buy the house "as-is", and the property appraisal was for the property "as-is", and it appraises above the loan value "as-is", they... how you say? Well, they have just a few things to request before they will accept said "as-is" property as security for the loan.

Namely, that it's not "as-is". Isn't that handy? They want the HVAC system repaired before closing (the one that needs to be redone entirely and was going to wait until Spring, you know, when we had extra cash to do it right), they want gravel put on the driveway (the one they don't think exists) before closing, and they want a fresh, spiffy new survey just to prove that the driveway they're making us put gravel on actually does, in fact exist (surveys, I discovered after speaking with 17 different County offices today, aren't part of the recorded material in Alabama, so while there may be a Santa Claus, there is no recorded proof of it - you have to get new proof each time).

We can't get in there to make the repairs on a property we don't own, and the Sellers won't give us access to the property before closing. We're not particularly keen on putting money into making such large-scale repairs to a property we don't have a guarantee that we'll own when all is said and done. But our agreement with The Sellers was that we would buy the house "as-is", and we let the Mortgage Company know that upfront. Now we have your quintissential Catch-22: we can't close on the house without the loan; we can't get the loan without making the repairs; we can't make the repairs without closing on the house.

Sooooo, taking yesterday's news into consideration, I could not for the life of me figure out this morning, when Amazing Realtor sounded so down, what could have gone wrong in addition to yesterday's news? Well, as it turns out, when Amazing Realtor called Nice Mortgage Man this morning to figure out the next step, she was informed that he no longer works there. Yep, just like that. As of yesterday at five-thirty, he hadn't mentioned anything about this. This morning, aliens might as well have taken him, for all the good it'll do us. (I tracked him down - he got a job as branch manager of another mortgage company in Fayetteville, TN! Isn't that great? I'll have to remember to be happy for him someday.) The Mortgage Man we inherited, while I am assuming is competent and capable, is also just abrupt and abrasive and mean enough to push this pregnant lady

RIGHT

OVER

THE

EDGE.

I have to say I'm proud of myself. This is the first time I've cried in the process of buying this particular home. Considering the pregnancy hormones and the exhaustion and being trapped like a little rat in a cage with small rat-babies gnawing at my ankles, I've held up ok. But this afternoon, the floodgates opened and I just sobbed.

Poor Zorak called while I was mid-sob. Men don't like that sound - it makes them uneasy, as if they should do something about it. Thankfully, at that point, both cell phone and land line died. That was my cue to just go sit with the boys for a while and remember how good we truly have it. It helped that later on, Aunt B also called and talked me down a bit.

Tomorrow I will try to track down a surveyor who can do it immediately, for only the cost of one or two of our children. Then I meet with the HVAC Guy at the property to see if he can just slap a band-aid onto the HVAC system that'll last long enough to get the appraisal through, and not kill us financially, since the Surveyor deal will leave us with only one starter child and that's cutting it a mite-bit-short. Then I am off to the Realtor's office to arrange the rest of the whatever-it-is-that-needs-arranging. The boys will be thrilled, I'm sure. The upside? I get to drive around in the car like one of the Big People. That part will be fun, at least.

So there ya have it - the latest on our Forever Home. It should be very, very worth it in the end. Because if I have anything to say about it, I will never buy another home as long as I live. This is plenty, thanks.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Thom said...

Oh, my.

I am SO sorry you guys are having to go through all of this.You are one amazingly strong chick not to have cried before now. It sounds so lame, but just keep hanging on--the Forever Home *IS* almost within your grasp! I'm still praying for you!

Amy said...

Dy,

I am so sorry for you and Zorak. You have been so strong, they would have had to have me on anti-psychotic drugs by now.

{{Hugs}}

Amy in Apex

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Ack! Oh, that just bites!

We'll be praying, too. ((hugs)) I'm so sorry. :( I would have cried and thrown things way before now, even not pregnant.

Staci Eastin said...

I may have to report this blog. Did you know that underwriter is a CURSE word. As in, "That guy? Oh, he's a total underwriter."

Dh has to deal with underwriters in his work all the time. He usually has to spit after saying it. I'll let him know he can just say The Hounds from now on.

(((((Dy)))))

Laney said...

(((Dy)))

At least your sense of humor is in tact, that's one of the things I appreciate about you, your ability to laugh.

I would have cried long ago and I would probably be kicking doors in and yelling at a lot of people.

Praying for you today!

Bob and Claire said...

Oh Dy!!! How frustrating! I truly can't imagine. I am sure I would be locked into an insane asylum by now, if I were you. I will be praying for God's "peace that passes understanding" to surround you today, and really until this is all sorted out! Can I just say you're my hero?!!

Jersey Girl said...

I can only say "I'm praying that this will end up well for you and the home", but I realize that says all you need to have.

Dy said...

Thanks, guys. Today the main thought was "do the next thing". It took a bit to figure what the next thing was, but *deep breath* we did that, and will do the next and the next. At some point we'll either accomplish our goal, or we'll go insane and won't care anymore! Will someone watch the boys if this doesn't pan out and we take the insanity route?? ;-)

Dy

Jules said...

LOL! I'll take your boys for you- but promise to bring them to visit you in your padded cells!

I am also sorry you are dealing with this right now. You deserve a good cry- I hope you made the most of it and cried for all it was worth! ;)

I will continue to pray for your peace and now your sanity as well. Keep the faith, girl! Your Forever Home is still within reach- just a little looonngger reach is all.