Monday, August 1

What Makes You Laugh?

Our humor standards are admitedly pretty low around here. If you want a guaranteed laugh out of four of the five of us, just ask a question - any question - and then fart as the answer. It's shameful, I know. (If it helps my reputation any, I willingly point out that Smidge laughs at these things, not me. He's the fourth gunman.) The boys make us laugh. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes just by being themselves. It's fun to watch them become aware of the intricacies of humor and how it works, too.

Since just about anything is funny, there is a LOT of laughter in our home. It isn't all along the base quality of bodily functions, although those do seem innately part of the territory when you have a house full of boys. (I swear, nobody taught them to high-five each other when one of them does something loudly, or uniquely, or spontaneously.) Also, puns and word plays are huge hits here. We try to steer dinner table conversation toward the more cerebral humor, which sometimes works, sometimes not. The boys really enjoy rhyming games, made-up stories, and riddles. Zorak and I really enjoy watching the boys enjoy these things.

Tonight, Smidge came to the table covered in black and blue woolen Indian blanket lint. I didn't know they had lint, nor did I know it would stick to a toddler. It seems that if the toddler is first coated in whistle-pop drool and then wrapped in the blanket, he comes out looking a little like a bruised, mangy teddy bear. The boys found this hilarious. Smidge found their good humor infectous. "Why did he do that, Dad?" Well, that's just what babies do...

Then they wanted to know what funny things they'd done when they were Smidge's age...

So we told them "when you were Smidge's age" stories, and oh, how they laughed. John's stealth attack on the pinata head; the year and a half he spent with the Toddler Inquisition - just walking into a room with his hands outstretched, "Where'd it GO? I don't know!" and roaming out again, still talking to himself (we never did find out what he was looking for); his tendency to flush just one sock from each pair down the commode and how we could not figure out where all his socks were going; the way he would leap into a doorway, shout "Buggah!" and then disappear...

They laughed and giggled.

James' household redecoration project comprised mainly of a Costco-sized sqeeze bottle of mustard; his first (and only) failed gas joke; his Kermit-Must-Die campaign the Christmas of 2000; the time he stacked everything on Miss Heather's counter into her toilet and flushed (thankfully, only the contact lenses could get down the drain)...

the boys howled with laughter.

John laughed so hard he choked.

James had tears streaming down his face.

Smidge laughed and squealed, until it got too loud for his taste. Then he stood on the couch, pointing and growling, and doing a priceless imitation of my Mom when she was irritated but not willing to let you in on why. He had us doubled up with laughter.

It wasn't so much the stories themselves (some were simply not humorous at the time they occurred), but the connections the boys saw between themselves (who they generally view as rational and intelligent beings) and Smidge (who can be completely alien sometimes), and the realization that we all do silly things from time to time. It's refreshing to know that it's ok, and we get out in one piece, and in the end, we really can laugh about it later. I think the boys enjoyed knowing that, remembering that.

By the time we'd cleared the table and put everyone to bed, things were quieter. Occasionally we'd hear a wee little voice from the bedroom whisper, "Buggah!" and fits of stiffled giggles ensued, but thankfully Zorak and I were on the porch, where the boys couldn't hear us.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Heather said...

And here I'd forgotten about the flushed contacts *G* Heehee. See I can laugh about it too (well now I can).

Kim said...

Having boys just creates a unique brand of humour doesn't it? My youngest came to me the other day complaining that his armpit was sore. He said it was "sunburned." I thought this was a highly questionable conclusion. I looked at it, didn't see anything unusual, poked a bit, and then ask if perhaps he'd been hanging on monkey bars at the park or something to pull a muscle. He thought, but said no. Then something occurred to me. I commented that making fart noises with one's arm pit incorrectly could result in sore underarms. He got a sheepish look on his face and said: "Me and Jacob were doing fart noises at the pool the other day to see who could make the most." Mystery solved. My husband and I howled about that one.

Laney said...

Yeah, we think farts are funny, too! Joe now knows what "poopie" is and the fact that he does it, totally cracks him up! He poops, gives the little shudder and says, "Joe poopie"! The older boys (Kevin included) think this is hysterical!

We also think falling down, things hitting you out of nowhere and random falling are funny! (Think Jacka@@) Sometimes I fear I am raising the next generation of Evel Kneivals!

And yes, I am still picking stuff out of the toilet! LOL

J-Lynn said...

OK, I'm not ready to share that bouncy ball story publically yet but you KWIM, *that* had me laughing beside myself!

One of the main things that attracted me to George that in a life full of darkness (at the time) he was full of laughter and light. I forget that sometimes, thanks for the reminder!

I catch myself refraining from laughing at times when my kids do things, I don't know why, it's a learned thing I think. Lately I've been consciously just letting go and laughing out loud. My kids laugh at me laughing and we're just a giggling mess. Isabelle laughs at EVERYthing, I think Smidge and her would be a trip together!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I only laugh at very highbrow intellectual type jokes.

You know, like, "Why did Tigger look in the toilet?" ;~)

Emily said...

Ah yes, potty humor is huge here too. I am amazed how W already thinks farts are funny, much to Q's delight!
And the "That's just what babies do..." response is a popular one in our house too.
Boy are such great fun aren't they? Their humor and curiosity may not be "high brow" but it is still side-splitting funny (sometimes not right away, but eventually)!!

Cheryl said...

Boy do you sound like a house full of men! I've never been a fan of potty humor... except...

Yesterday when the baby was "pooting", while my husband was looking at banjos online, he said she was having her own "pootenanny" (hootenanny) and I almost fell on the floor!