Friday, August 5

OMGoodness!!! I'm so excited!

I just got the second best call I could have received!! (The first being a decision - one way or the other - on our home. Sorry, Claudia.) BUT, that aside, Claudia just called me to say that she and her wonderful family are on their way out this week!!

Ben & Claudia were our Wonderful Neighbors when we lived in Arizona. More than that, they were also our best friends, and have remained among our dearest and most cherished over the years. I don't know how many months of sleep we lost from late nights in the kitchen talking religion, politics, and other taboo subjects. And yes, all four of us packed into a one-butt apartment kitchen - that'll tell you how close we are, eh? We had the same midwife, the same naturopath. We shopped at the same gun shop, and they were among the few people we are comfortable shooting with. Claudia and I stayed home with the little ones, and the guys were in school together. They are Our Kind of Weird.

Ben is the guy who made the comment that has endeared me to him permanently: "If I thought you were really screwing up raising the boys, Charles and I would have it out in the parking lot before we'd ever call CPS." Now, that, my friends, is a good friend: one who loves you no matter what, will tell you when you're wrong, puts your children's good ahead of his own, and knows that it's all about the people not the government.

Claudia didn't think I was weird when I made a BUNDUHT, Bundit, Bunth... a cake for a celebration. She even put flowers in the middle, and we laughed ourselves silly while the guys looked askance and silently vowed never to let us go to the movies by ourselves again. She and I have prayed together, grown together, tried to work out together (we end up laughing too hard and it hurts to move, so that hasn't ever really worked out well), and have encouraged one another over the years.

We've missed their little Samster (the one John stalked with the paper towel tube/pirate's telescope) and have never held their little David. John wasn't speaking English the last time they saw him, and James was still a fat little toddler. There is going to be a whole lot of goofy oogling of the babies all around! The boys will be thrilled. They miss Mr. Ben and Miss Claudia. They love talking to Sam on the phone, and are still somewhat convinced Baby David is a mythological creature.

I'm just so excited. We'll have three days to show them around and hope that they fall as deeply in love with Huntsville as we have... because this is a recon trip for a possible move out here! WOOHOO!! They've promised to ignore the "hot 'n sticky", so I think there's a chance.

Anyhow, this is also going to help take my mind of the absolutely brain-disolving tension of waiting, waiting, waiting for a decision on the Forever Home. *whew* Thankful for that, too! So, if you had three days to extol the virtues of Huntsville, what would you do?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Linda said...

"Our Kind of Weird"--love that phrase!

Friends like these are rare treasures from God.

I'd take them somewhere where there's good eats *and* no one will kick you out after 5 hours of talking! Savor every moment.

J-Lynn said...

I'd let the guys do the touristy stuff. Maybe one day your families could visit a childrens museum or something. Other than that, just lounge by the pool or in your (hopefully bigger) kitchen and enjoy every moment, like old times!

Hugs!

Dy said...

Oh, Linda, yes! FOOD! We love food! And yes, they are rare treasures, but you know, my treasure chest is SO. FULL. of beautiful friends like them. I could fill a dozen communes w/ them. I'm very thankful.

Jess, *snort* Bigger? Nope. Apartments are apartments, I think. This one is maybe a .75 butt kitchen, but that may just be that my rear is a little bigger these days... :-S

Raeann, WELCOME to the front porch! I hope you'll stop in and visit regularly. Coffee's always hot, but we also keep RRL tea and other goodies on the table. ;-) Thank you for stopping to say hello.

Dy

Laney said...

I am excited for you! ROFL at "we shop at the same gun shop", you are the best!!

I hope you have a wonderful visit, make them a bundTTT! (maybe some windex will cure the "hot n'sticky? wry grin)

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I'm very happy for you as well. I'm also jealous. :~}

Dy said...

YAY! Laney got the reference! Laney, we must meet you guys someday. Simply must. Must. Must.

KathyJo, tell Roscoe to come down here TDY sometime after we have a home and we'll put y'all up - guys on the porch w/ their sinful products and ripped jeans, kids playing in the pond, catching critters, and we'll hang out in the a/c and eat. :-)

dy