Thursday, August 11

See? It works. (Part II...)

Alright, already! In all fairness, we didn't hear anything back until after five today. Well, Wednesday, but Ben & Claudia just left, so I'm still running on Wed. hours.

So here's Part II:

Once we withdrew our offer on the first property, Zorak and I sifted through all the other places we've looked at over the past three and a half months. We found one that had inspired our imaginations and which we truly liked. We called Nice Mortgage Man to find out if he could do that property, what the payments would look like, and what he'd need to do it as a ten-day closing. (Can you tell we're tired of living in an apartment?) He said he will make it happen, so we called the realtor who'd shown us the property and asked to make an offer. She agreed to meet us after lunch to do all the paperwork. Yippee!

We sat down at the table and the first thing she said was, "I have to let you know there is someone at the office putting in an offer on this property as we speak." Hear that? That is the sound of my intestines knotting around my heart and squeezing the valves out of it. For the record, that sound echoes in a library. You know, in case you ever find yourself wondering, "Is that just gas or am I dying?"

The realtor had let all appropriate agencies know that she, too, was getting an offer and so it was that both offers were to go in on a "multiple offer form". Yeah, that sounds like fun. We scrapped the original plan and put in a much better offer than we'd intended. Still within our comfort range, just not as, mmmmm, spectacular a deal, let's say. For us. For the seller, it was great. There's a dispute over the easement of the property. They were going to take care of it; we said, "don't bother, we'll do that." They were going to fix the broken air conditioner; we said, "that's okay, we can take care of that." We even had a ten-day closing date with an approval letter from Nice Mortgage Man. How sweet can that be, right?

Evidently, sweeter than Equal, but not quite up to Pure Cane Sugar standards. We heard nothing at all yesterday due to a bizarre twist of events in which our mortgage file took a joy ride to Tennessee and arrived late at the bank's office. (The bank is the seller in this particular transaction.) They had both offers all day, and could peruse them. From what I understand, though, they could not actually make a decision until all pertinent documents (including the prodigal approval letter) were safely in hand. So we heard diddly yesterday aside from the painful grinding and squealing of brakes as the process came to a stunning halt. We would definitely hear something by Wednesday.

Wednesday was really long. When your adrenaline is pumping hard enough to infuse the hairs of your eyebrows, you know you're wired. And time. stands. still. So you eat. And you wait. Then you clean. And you wait. You feed the small ones. And you eat some more, then wait a bit. It feels like more waiting than it really is, but eventually you call the realtor with the same song and dance she probably hears at this point in every single transaction she's ever facilitated:

Hi... This is your neurotic client. I know you're going to call when you hear something, but I, uh, well, um... Actually, I thought I'd call to make sure there was nothing else they needed from us. You know, blood samples, access to our life's savings, more lead-based paint forms in triplicate? And, well, after not much thought at all, that sounded like a good enough excuse to call you instead of waiting by this phone, peeling my nails off my fingers one layer at a time.


And your realtor, if she is kind and for whatever reason, likes you, will be genial and sweet, and not mock you for it. She still won't have any news for you. But at least she'll be gentle in letting you down and recommending that perhaps you put on gloves and find something productive to do. And yes, she really will call you as soon as she hears something. Yes, anything. Yes, she promises.

So you take your company swimming, and you feed the small ones again. You let them watch a movie while you fill your guests in on all there is to love about the area. And you discover that you can, in fact, completely drain the battery on your cell phone by constantly pressing the buttons to see if you somehow missed a call - even though you have the thing on HIGH ring and vibrate, and have worn it all day tucked into your undergarments. When your husband calls, you try to sound calm and collected as you explain that no, you haven't heard anything yet, and yes, you really will call him as soon as you hear something. Yes, anything. Yes, you promise.

(You also note that he called you more today than you called the realtor, which has a redeeming sensation to it, although you wouldn't ever hold that against your husband because you wanted to call the realtor every half hour until she had news or filed a restraining order against you.)

Finally, as the business day has ended and you are wondering how much chocolate one fetus can withstand, the phone rings. It is your realtor. With news. Bizarre news.

The bank has a counter offer. Just for you (don't you feel special?!), which means that the negotiations have begun in earnest. But their counter is very strange. They want:

Full list and they aren't going to fix anything - but, wasn't the whole point of volunteering to fix those two biggies ourselves so we don't have to pay you to do it, and you'd priced it out including your execution of those two features... but, *sigh* ok, that's fine. The difference isn't much at all, and we're okay with it, so we'll take that.

They'll pay $xxxx in closing costs - um, as opposed to us paying $yyyy in closing costs? And this is going to cost you more. Yeah. That's weird, but we'll take it. Gift. Horse. Mouth. Got it.

They want double the earnest money. Huh? Um, okay... I don't know why. You've got one check and now you want another one just like it. If you could see my nails right now, you'd know we're serious.

And then the really weird one. They countered our ten-day closing with not a 30-day closing, but a 45-day closing!! WHAT?! No! Why? Now, this is a bit of a deal breaker. There is no way we can get the house clean enough to move into by the end of September if we can't take possession for another 45 days... and our locked rate on the mortgage expires way before then. No. Why?

The house is vacant - nobody has to move out.
The property is abandoned - there is nothing to remove.
The house is closed up and busily molding at this point - and that's okay.
You have nothing to fix, repair, clean, mow, or even titter over. This is a completely "as-is" sale - so it's not like you need time to get things done there.
We want to give you your money SOONER rather than later...

That last one, we don't get. At all. If, however, we can come to a compromise on that point, then, my friends, we will have a home. Then, and only then, will I get all excited and girl-like over it and tell y'all about it. Until then, I'm doing all I can not to let my nerves make contact with my hormones. Baking soda and vinegar have nuthin' on this combination, trust me.

The realtor has sent the bank an email inquiring to the import the bank lays on this 45-day closing date and it's negotiability. I have eaten three rolls of Tums and washed it all down with a dose of Rescue Remedy. (Followed by more Tums - I always forget how nasty that stress-relief tincture tastes.) And we still don't really know much more.

Zorak says it's all going to be okay, they just want to make sure they leave as nasty a taste as possible in my mouth first. If that's the case, I'll buy a case of Mentos and I can outlast them. Oh yes, this is where my gypsy blood comes into play. It's stubborn, and since I've been ousted from the camp, I need a camp of my own. So bring it on, folks! You cannot out-weird me. Oh no.

Part III... I have no idea when part three will come. Hopefully soon, though, because I only have three fingernails left.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Kim said...

Is this where you get cautiously optimistic?

I'll pray for your today!

{{hugs}}

melissa said...

Oh Dy! I have been praying for you this week. But you are right to be so cautious at this point, I do believe that it is some sort of instinctual self preservation that kicks in. You can do it!!!!!!!!!

Thom said...

Just hang on a bit longer! You're doin great!Keep those chins held high! The hard part (waiting!!) will be over soon.I'm still praying for you. :0)

J-Lynn said...

Did Thom just say you had chin(S) as in plural? LOL j/k Thom, I knew what you meant, just caught me by surprise at first. ;-)

Dy, I'm praying hard over here! Baking soda & vinegar? ROFLMBO

Hugs,
Jess

H said...

Dy,

I was so hoping that this was the property for you, but this has red flags all over it. Many of them you've pointed out in your post. But also, why all the counter offers, except to squeeze every drop from you? Why just you and Zorak and not the other people who put in the offer? Was there ever REALLY a competing offer? I know how excited you are to move into your own *home*. I'll be praying for wisdom and peace for you and Zorak.

Also, I happen to know that fetuses can withstand a LOT of choclate. More than you'd think. :) You can relax on that end. :)

Blessings,
Hillary

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Yowza. And a raspberry at the bank. And prayers for y'all. ((hugs))

Heather said...

There was a truck filled with explosives that crashed and went *BOOM* here in Utah yesterday. At first I thought it might have been tremors caused by your twitching, but it really was an explosion. Please do your best to chill (yeah I know, I'm a riot). Just remember I haven't ever done the house buying thing so you are going to have to hold my hand when I get there. I may hold the wisdom of raising children (really I'm not laughing, nope, nuh-huh) but you will have to lead the way with the house. Hang in there sweetie I know the perfect camp for you and the rugrats will come along!! Plan things just right and I may just have to come out to inspect it in person (that is a promise). XOXOXO

Amy said...

Dy,

I have been praying for you.

All I could imagine at the end of the story is a recent college graduate twit at the bank who missed the lecture on how to negotiate during Econ 101. The purpose is to find a middle, not go the exact other way.

Stay steady and draw your line. Banks do not want to hold on to property any longer then they have to.

Amy in Apex

L said...

That was the perfect description, Dy! I'll tell you, we are living in a parallel universe -- only ours has a "contingency", and I'm more of a Rolaids girl myself. I can't wait until Jorge gets home from his big deal making meeting tonight to read him your post.

Hang in there!

Thom said...

Alright, to clarify:

Dy has only ONE chin that I'm aware of. The reference to multiple chins was a reference to the combined chins of all her family members. In other words, all of Dy's family should keep their collective chins up.

Lawdy!One must watch ones typin! LOL!;0)