Thursday, August 18

The Week, Mid-Stride

On The Mommy Front:
When I was a kid, things, life just sort of... materialized out of nowhere. Suddenly, I was thrust into a new group, or activity, and although it felt a little awkward, that just seemed to be "how it was". Well, you know, I really didn't like that a whole lot. Granted, I do have "control issues", as Zorak lovingly refers to them, but still, I remember that disjointed sensation, thinking, "Why am I here? Whose idea was this?" So, upon reflection, I determined to give the boys a bit more of a head's up in Life, starting immediately.

This week we talked a lot about Pioneer Club beforehand. I let them know that this is something we thought they might enjoy, and that we'd like them to go to the first meeting and see how they felt. James took it in stride, but it really seemed to affect John. I think he has been feeling a little small lately, and knowing he had that input and some say in the process boosted his little spirits like you wouldn't believe.

They went prepared. They had a fantastic time! They talked endlessly on the way home about the things they did, the things planned for next time, the badges they will earn, and the great leaders in their classes. Wow. Cub Scouts can wait another few years. I'm good with this.

I guess they put them into classes by asking each child his age and grade in school. Um, oops. Not used to that yet. James said he's six and in the first grade. (We haven't done the big "new school year" thing yet, and he's not anxious to push his birthday - so the whole "going into second", which would be just plain "second grade" for other kids since school's already begun, didn't quite come across.) My first instinct was to encourage him to go ask to be put in another class, but I gave him the choice. He thought on it a bit and said he's really happy in his class and he would like to stay. Well, I'm all over that! So it looks like we're set, then. Wednesdays will be Pioneer Club Nights for the boys for the next 38 weeks.

On the House Front:
24 hours is not, contrary to popular belief, a measurable period. It's totally subjective. Who knew? Amazing Realtor said if there's nothing on their desk tomorrow, they'll call and find out what the hold up is. Meanwhile, Amazing Mortgage guy is ON THE BALL and ready to go! I love feeling like we have a team on our side. Even if we don't get this place, I know that everyone on our end has done their utmost. That's a peaceful feeling.

On the Home Front:
I think I tried to kill Zorak. The ick that descended upon me late Friday and kept me pinned to the bathroom all weekend slipped into his body late Sunday. His boss tried to send him home Monday, but he took a few something-or-others and toughed it out. Today, it was a different story. He got up at six, called in sick, and went back to bed. I woke him around three to force some hot tea and a sandwich down him. Then he fell back to sleep. I managed to get a half a cup of juice in him before we left for church. Those two times have been the only times we've seen him today. He is one sick Daddy. I feel for him. This is the tail end of it for me, and it's one whoppin' tail! He's not going to be right til the weekend. Poor Daddy. I really didn't try to kill him, though. Honest.

And in general, that's about it. Mid-week! WOOHOO!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Don't forget, you got me sick too...LOL

I'm SO glad the boys liked Pioneer Club! And yes, James may be better off with the younger children - they may not have picked up quite as much yet behavior wise. I'm glad John found a niche there as well! I really have to check it out around here.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Get well soon, Zorak.

Re: 24 hours is not a measurable period, it's funny how that works, ain't it? *sigh*

And yea! that the boys enjoyed Pioneer Club. 'Cause ya know, as homeschoolers, they NEED socialization. *grin* (Have you seen that homeschooler t-shirt? It says, "Caution: Unsocialized Homeschooler." Cracks me up. It's a shame they don't make them in Jed's size, but my other boys are each getting one.)

Kim said...

Sounds like Pioneer Club was a bit hit.

Hope hubby is better soon. When hubbies stay home, you know they're sick.

Dy said...

Jess - I'm pretty sure that was Geo's doing... ;-)

KathyJo- I love that shirt. I'd love to get them for the boys, but I am terrified that the *one* time they decide to come unhinged in public will be the one time they have *that specific shirt* on. That's the stuff anxiety attacks are made from!

Kim - yes, that's how I know he's SICK. I think if he'd asked to see the doctor, I'd have started calling the family! He looks much improved today, though. (yippee!!)

*Update* Nine twenty and still no word... but it's early, right? I mean, I'm only on my second cup of coffee...

Stephanie not in TX said...

Time is an illusion. Househunting time doubly so.

Laney said...

I am glad that the boys enjoyed Pioneer Club. My boys love Cub Scouts!

I am also glad that you finally got somebody who is on the ball. Woo-hoo!

Still waiting...aka Laney