Friday, August 5

Happy Retirement!

It's my retirement party? I'll do the BBQ, if someone else will make the cake!

The boys had their second swim class yesterday. We have spent every day at the pool, and they've done wonderfully. John spends most of his time underwater playing games (rock, paper, scissors; ring around the rosie; watch me sink). James still can't get his skinny little frame to float on his back, but he can lay back, sink about a foot and a half underwater and swim 20 feet like a crawdad. They love it. We are there over an hour each day. They motor all over the pool without floaties or assistance.

So why, WHY, I ask, does John go into psycho panic mode when he's in class? *sigh* I stayed home with Smidge last night while Zorak took the boys. He called to let me know they were heading home and mentioned that John started a mutiny. Evidently hysterical crying is somewhat contagious (who knew?) and he managed to undermine the confidence of darn near the entire class. By the end of the hour, most of them were crying. Including James, who was still teary-eyed when they got back about having to jump into the four foot end. Ahhh, that's my boy. Poor kid. Poor other kids. Poor instructor. I don't get it, and I don't know how to help him get over this, considering he doesn't do it at the pool with me. I do know that next time, we'll hit the pool earlier in the day (*whine*) and then I'll see if I can get John to be still long enough to nap. Lessons do come so late in the day, and I'm sure he's pretty pooped, which isn't helping.

Oooh! Ooh! I'm not sure how correct this is, but I've heard tell that there are only a few more weeks left of this heat! Part of me is afraid to call the lady back and confirm that I heard her right. :-) I'll just live with the dream, thank you.

After talking with LB, who gave herself a funky short haircut and loves it (and who mentioned that in addition to helping to deal with the heat and humidity, it also makes tick checks infinitely easier!), I've been so tempted to follow her lead. I broached the subject with Zorak last night, who looked at me with the saddest expression on his face and said, "I will let it be cold again someday." *snort* OK, thanks, honey, I'll keep that in mind. I don't think I'll be able to pull it off this summer, but next spring, the Easter Barber is going to make a visit to my house!

And really, that's about all there is here. I can't share the conversations that have taken place in our home surrounding the search for a backup property if our Forever Home can't get financing. They are either way too weird for public consideration or... well, let's just stick with that, shall we? Zorak is realizing he married a g-i-r-l, and I am learning to embrace the unique qualities of having married an e-n-g-i-n-e-e-r. It's a learning process for everybody involved. But even at it's most bizarre, it's good.

I'm off to enjoy some blogrunning (the only kind of running endorsed by some joint association, I'm sure!) and coffee before the boys are up.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Amy said...

Ah, yes. The girl v. engineer conversations. BTDT. Good luck.

Dy, just a word from a non-pregnant friend. Remember what Vicki Iovine said about haircuts when you're pregnant? If not, get out the Girlfriends' Guide and reread that section. I love my short haircuts, but I don't want you to have one single moment of regret!:)

Laney said...

Don't do it!! Save the hair, save the hair!

No pregnant woman should ever be allowed to step foot in a beauty parlor unchaperoned, I am speaking from experience here, LOL! Your hair is so beautiful! Between you and Jess, I am dripping with jealousy.

No help for the pool episode, just BTDT!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I have to agree with these other ladies about the hair, Dy. I cut mine short while pregnant with Jack (actually, during that 3.5 month time frame when I was unaware of Jack's existence) and it was. not. pretty. There's nothing worse than weighing 50 pounds more than usual when you've just cut off all of your hair.

Er, y'all gain at least 50 pounds when y'all are pregnant, too, right?

L said...

Just popping in to check on property updates. Nothing yet?! Did I miss anything?! The suspense is terrible.

Things are getting weird again on our home search, too. WAHH.

Dy said...

Wow, C.S., it's a little scary that none of those ideas sound wacky to me at all! LOL! They get pretty intense around here, and while it's fascinating, I just wanna nest right now. I wouldn't trade my engineer for anything. Ever. He keeps me from dying under my structurally unsound projects!

The hair? I know. I know. I should know better. At my best, I look like a stunned, partially shaved tree squirrel w/ short hair. At my current rapidly exploding mass level, if it's not atrocious now, it would be in about four months. You know, in time for Christmas pictures! No haircut for me. Zorak did offer to let me splurge on "all the hair clippies you want", which cracked me up. (But I'm going to take him up on it!) Thanks for the moral support, though. ;-) I may need it again in about three months, when I'm not avoiding the heat, but start looking for that "not pregnant" look, right?

Dy