Thursday, August 25

Gardens and Sushi and Dad, Oh Boy!

Wow, what a fun day! The boys and I enjoyed a leisurely morning together, then they played for a bit while I made a bazillion phone calls and tried to coordinate the Signing of the Contract, Part Deux. (Three? How many is this, now?)

The weather was not beautiful yesterday, but it was do-able, so we packed up a nominal bag and headed to the Huntsville Botanical Gardens for a day of exploration. I was prepared to be relatively bored out of my skull, but figured the boys would enjoy the time outside. They have a butterfly house and water play areas, so why not? I have not been so wrong about a place in a long, long time! This place is amazing! The work the staff and volunteers have put into the 30+ gardens on the property is astounding. The quality and care that's gone into everything from design to presentation hits you the minute you enter the Gardens, and never stops. From the Bonzai Garden and Model Railroad Village on through to the Aquatic Garden, the entire experience is one to be savored. We must go back. The boys hope to catch one of the daylily volunteers and become little apprentice daylily growers, and I want to lose myself for a bit in their herb garden. (The herb garden is larger than our apartment. I'm still shivering with anticipation over that place!)

I haven't hiked with the boys since, well, since there were only two of them and Smidge wasn't even a twinkle in Zorak's eye. They drink a lot more water now, and I hadn't expected the day to involve so much hiking! Yup, we ran out of water. At the far end of the Gardens. I'd been trying to navigate toward the spot marked on the map as having a water fountain, but that was like herding cantakerous cats toward a bath. Finally, we stopped and asked one of the volunteers if he could point the way. He not only pointed the way, he led us to it and when he discovered the water fountain had been turned off, he settled us under the pagoda at the Aquatic Garden and headed off to find some for us. A few moments later, a nice lady on a maintenance truck pulled up with three bottles of water for the little guys. Talk about a mission of mercy!

The cafe at the Gardens was closed when we headed back, so I proposed sushi for supper. Yay! We had just enough time for the boys to change into dry clothes before the restaurant opened. It was a great meal. Smidge took in two bowls of miso soup, and ate all the tofu. John thoroughly enjoyed the teriyaki, and they served the "invisible noodles", which are rice, so how cool was that? James endeared himself to the staff by ordering straight from the sushi bar - he ordered a few favorites and then got a little experimental by ordering a few new (and partially unidentifiable) items. Our waitress was a gem, an absolute gem. She brought the "trainer" chopsticks, kept the tea fresh and hot, doted on the boys, and kept us supplied with plenty of napkins. I love her! We were late for Pioneer Club, but it was a meal that couldn't be rushed if it was to be enjoyed properly.

The only meltdown we had happened about mid-meal, when Smidge, using his cat-like reflexes, snagged the mound of wasabi from James' plate with this chopsticks. The whole mound! James and I both responded rapidly and rather vociferously, which resulted in Smidge dropping the wasabi, then crying like we'd just told him we don't love him. The manager peeked in to see what was wrong. She got a good chuckle out of his curtailed adventure and brought him a piece of tempura. That cheered him considerably, and the rest of our meal was event-free.

Pioneer Club was fantastic, and then we had a couple hours to burn before Zorak's flight landed. Or so we thought. On our way to pick him up at ten, he called... from Atlanta. Flight delayed, put on another flight. Then it was delayed. Twice. Not going to leave Atlanta for another hour. Oops, ok, turned around and came home. It was another two hours before he left Atlanta, but he did finally make it into town in the wee early hours of this morning.

Amazing Realtor will be here in an hour and a half to do the paperwork over again, and then I have no idea what our game plan for today will be (I'd thought Zorak would be gone until this afternoon, so I'd planed one last library trip for today), but it should be good. I, however, had probably best get myself tidied up and start the day (everyone but John is still asleep, and even he doesn't look like he wants to be up).

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Thom said...

I can't believe your boys like sushi! That's like...such an adult food. How cool.

The botanical gardens and it's staff sound awesome. An herb garden larger than your apartment? I share your shiver of delight! Glad you guys have found another local, fun place to hang.

Good luck with the final phases of contract signage.You're ALMOST there!!

J-Lynn said...

OK now Miso soup/salad mine will do (although they prefer Egg Drop) but they won't even eat the California Rolls, much less sushi, I'm impressed! Of course, I wouldn't eat it either so...hehe That place sounds GREAT - we have a place like that in town and they are always really friendly as well.

How cool about the botanical gardens! And at DH being home! Have a wonderful day! SOrry I missed you on IM, I accidently left it online.

Let us know how the meeting goes!

Laney said...

You used so many fun words in this post!
Bonzai
Sushi
Teriyaki
WASABI

LOL! I'm glad you had an adventure and that Zorak is home, safe and sound.

Thank heaven for The Amazing Realtor! With a big "R" on her chest, her pen never runs out! Able to view 10 homes in a single hour, process contracts quickly and return phone calls! LOL

Sheila said...

Omg..your boys eat Sushi?

And I thought mine were impresive for eating Hunan Shrimp.

We've toyed around the idea of visiting the Huntsville Garden. I love the one in Myrtle Beach so much that I'm scared another garden will spoil it for me.

Jules said...

Hooray for the unsung heroes of the local community attractions! She brought you water on her maintenance truck- that would have made me smile all day! I love when people go the extra mile.

Dy said...

That's funny. I kind of think the keys to getting children to eat non-mainstream foods are simple: start early; don't act like it's any different than chicken nuggets and fries; if you don't like it, just smile, nod, and pretend you're stuffed or you'd eat some, too. They eat all kinds of things I just couldn't. LOL. I mean, I love the sushi, but they eat *gasp* TOMATOES! EWWWW! ;-)

Yes, the staff at the Gardens are my heroes! And a big thank you card is going out this week.

Laney, that's cute - I'll have to share the description w/ our AR!

Dy

L said...

Parallel worlds! Sara chose the local sushi restaurant for her birthday dinner the other night and I just signed the fourth copy of our contract!

Have fun discovering more of your local attractions!

Dy said...

L, NO! The fourth!?!? Oh, honey, I am. So. So. Sorry. {{hugs}} As soon as I am able, we are simply going to have to hit a small cabana on the beach and a good concert - and hopefully celebrate the passing of the WAHH torch to... someone else! Deal? I'm thinkin'... early summer '06. LMK. :-)

And we can take the kids out for sushi! COOL!

Dy