Tuesday, March 6

SCORE!

Tonight, after a particularly grueling day flogging the meadow into shape, wrangling the children into some semblance of an educational position, off-kilter napping schedules (mainly mine, but BabyGirl helped), baseball practice, and... did I mention it was a particularly tough day? We came home, and I managed to have supper on the table in less than an hour.

While I cooked, Smidge and John sidled over to the dining table for some horribly mangled game of chess-meets-dragonlore. Zorak and James played a riveting, and rather loud, game of chess at the breakfast bar. (James may one day be a mean chess player, but the kid will get beaten consistently if he ever tries to play poker.) Emily screeched protests against the injustice that everybody got to touch the chess pieces except her. You know, in my daydreams about the idyllic family evening routine, it's much quieter...

No idea how we managed it, but we sat down to eat before seven o'clock! We said our prayer (Smidge has stopped screaming while we pray, always appreciated!) and enjoyed a hot meal after a long day. But, that's not the SCORE! The SCORE! came when Zorak said, "Wow, you're getting really good at this. Just being able to walk in and whip up something good."

Angels sang, folks. They sang. They danced. I think a couple of them even waved lighters. It was beautiful.

And that's it. That is the summit of my felicity today. It may not seem like much to those of you who are culinarily gifted. Or have husbands who are thus blessed, (or will eat anything and not quietly decide to cook all the meals from here on in). But for me, this is huge. I have, after a mere thirty-three and a half years on this earth (admittedly, only about the last ten spent actually trying) achieved a major goal as a wife and mother. I can whip up something that my husband actually likes and doesn't sniff, poke, and then add Tabasco to before eating.

Sometimes, it's the small things.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Jennie C. said...

We're all works-in-progress, I think. Congratulations on your victory!

andie said...

Oh, how funny. We had very similar dinner-time experiences!

mere said...

"I think a couple of them even waved lighters." LOL!

My DH similarly complimented me last night...we had a bunch of errands to do yesterday evening and I suggested Costco pizzas for dinner. He was quietly skeptical, but sang my praises at supper time, about what a good idea that was!

Yay for both of us!

Laura said...

I can relate perfectly! And I feel the same way whenever Steve compliments a meal I make!

Anonymous said...

heh - congrats to you! i figure my mountain I climbed was getting Dh to cook instead of my doing it! he's coming along nicely.

BTW - I have recently discovered that waving lighters is passe'. Now you flip open your cell phone and bathe audiences with it's florescent green or blue light!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Congratulations!! Maybe in another few years I'll be able to pull that off, too! :)

Meliss said...

Good for you! It is so nice to be acknowledged as competent by one's family.

Unknown said...

WooooooooHooooooooooo LOL@the loud chess game. I've never heard the words "riveting" and "chess" said togehter before ;-)

You GO GIRL!!!

momanna98 said...

I'm so jealous of all your "gardening". I want to get out and pull some weeds. My compost bin is still frozen solid.... I still have patches of snow in the yard... The good news is, we can finally see the alligator that was left out from when the kids played in the pool...

Bob and Claire said...

Hey, that's not a little thing; that's a BIG thing! Yay! I've always been glad that Bob is one of those men who don't really seem to have many taste buds, LOL. Pretty much whatever I make, he's fine with (maybe this comes from being the youngest of 6?!) I'm hoping my boys will be the same for their wives . . . takes the pressure off, LOL.

Emily said...

Does Smidge scream when it is supper time??? Walker does too!! And he too pauses while we pray :)