Thursday, March 8

Not With My Child

So our previous dentist decided he could not address John's and Smidge's dental needs (after extensive costs on our part), and recommended a pedodontist to have the work done. I called the insurance company, called the denstists on the list, and made an appointment with one whose office staff said they could certainly address the situation. When I shared my excitement with a friend, she said, "You mean you found one who would let you go back with the boys?"

What? I didn't even ask. What kind of a set-up would that be? I'd heard of the occasional dentist not permitting parents to go back, and the reasoning usually ran along the lines of "I am the child's care provider, and he needs to develop a relationshp directly with me." (Parents get in the way, essentially.) Well, ok, if a parent chooses to submit to a policy like that, that's fine and dandy. I'm not among them, so I thought I would call to confirm.

Good thing I called. But now, they've changed their line of reasoning. "It's a HIPA ruling. It's the law."

It's "the law" that the parent of an unemancipated minor cannot be present during exams and treatment? Um, no. Not exactly.

Firstly, HIPA addresses "privacy" with regard to the patient's files. It does lay out the framework for very specific cases in which a parent may not retain the rights and responsibilities of a minor's legal representative. Of the 60+ pages I've read of the Act thus far, suspected neglect/abuse, court order giving representative rights to someone other than the parent, and treatment for mental health when the child desires it and the parents do not are the only three specifically named conditions wherein a parent's right of representation may be removed by third parties. Parental consent to release responsibility is the fourth. All of which are set forth very clearly, and with precedented understanding and foreknowledge by all parties. I'm not going to tackle HIPA itself today, but only this specific point:

Nothing in HIPA authorizes a health care provider to deny a parent the rights of representation for the minor without cause.

Do not let a health care provider tell you that you cannot be present for your child's treatment due to HIPA privacy acts. If you allow it, then you have rescinded your rights under one of the specific provisions in the Act: express permission for the provider to bypass your representation. I have yet to find anything that cites rectification of the process when that permission was given based on faulty information, and I suspect that future searches will yield the same results.

When a provider denies you the right to be present for treatment, consultation, or examination right off the bat, that provider is acting unethically, if not unlawfully. If that provider tells you that it is the law, find another provider. You are being duped. Unfortunately, we are all too often unaware of our rights, what few remain, and our ignorance is going to completely strip us of our rights and responsibilities, in the end. When a harried parent is informed by a brusque staff member that something is a federal regulation, how many parents are readily armed with subsection and paragraph citation to counter it? (I also wonder how properly the staff are being educated. This isn't to say there is an onslaught by receptionists nationwide to participate in the Agenda of removing parents from the parental role. I honestly believe they are simply taught this, and thus propgate it.)

You can read the full text here. (It's a .pdf file.) Truthfully, the devils are in the details.

But not with my child, they won't. And we did find a dentist who isn't on the Gov't in loco parentis bandwagon.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy
Dy

11 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Good for you, Dy!

Since you're obviously good at finding and citing laws...want to do some research for me? ;) How about the legality of refusing care for a laboring woman - refusing pain medication and refusing care by ANY doctor in the hospital if she doesn't submit to a c-section?

That's the one I'm working on now. Sigh.

Anniesue said...

Thankfully we haven't had that issue at our dentist's office. They have seating for the parents in the exam rooms.

I thought of you and your family today. The Big Man and I took T. Willy to lunch at the beach today. It was so pretty. I really hope you'll return sometime with your whole family and we can meet up for dinner together!

mere said...

Thank you for this very informative post. We haven't had any issues with this yet, but I'm glad to know what my rights are.

I think the only white flag that you will ever wave will be one with a snake and the words "Don't tread on me". Good for you for doing your homework!

Emily said...

WOW!! I have never heard of such a thing! How wrong and completely absurd. Thanks for the good info on the subject.

melissa said...

Dy- I have walked out of a dentist as well because of the staffs misunderstanding of the HIPA laws. But in our case it was in re. to our privacy (or lack thereof). The staff had a seperate form that we were to sign basically saying thAT ANYONE requesting our info i.e, address, phone#, etc could have it. I would not sign the form, they were of course aghast and had NEVER had anyone refuse to sign. While they tried to figure out "how to handle" this- I found another dentist. No problems there.
HIPA.

Dy said...

Melissa, yes, I was stunned at the extensive protection given to "marketing" in the HIPA. It seems everybody gets a peek and a say except the parents. Absolutely stunning that we've let this go through.

Emily, I don't know what the laws state (we can figure that out, though - Matt has my email if you don't still have it). I do know that in Yavapai County, AZ, the midwives will transport an emergency homebirth all the way to a hospital an hour away because the ones in Prescott at Yavapai Regional Medical Center will. let. you. die. So unless there's arterial bleeding, or you flatline, it's worth the drive every time. Can you imagine not having the choice to choose our providers? Scary.

Dy

Becca said...

Thank you for this information. I've got a great pediatric dentist right now, but it did take some searching, and for that very reason.

Bridget said...

Dy,
First off good for you, if the doctor, dentist or whoever won't let you go back with your child during treatment, they shouldn't be treating children.
Second, I work for 5 extremely busy pediatricians and this HIPA law was a huge deal in our office when it was first put into practice. There is not one line in any of that massive law that states a parent can not go back with their child. In our office, if the parent isn't present they won't see the child unless they have received permission from the parent in writing. The whole purpose of HIPA is to protect the privacy of the patient. And they dentist that wanted Melissa to sign stating they could release their information to anyone is insane, they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit.
Good luck with a new dentist, hopefully they have a clue about what they are talking about when it comes to your privacy.

Thom said...

Once again, we are haunted by the Clinton administration's legacy. Will we ever wise-up, as a country??

Good for you, for researching out your rights!!!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Grrr. Rat bastards. :P

J-Lynn said...

I can't believe this!!!! Thanks for the eloquent way to handle it because if I ran into it before reading this I wouldn't say anything but stutter and curse. LOL