Thursday, March 15

Bad Mother of the Week Award

As I packed our bag for ball practice tomorrow night, I had to smile. We’re getting the hang of this. We’re not half bad, really. Well, most of the time. Monday wasn't what you'd call a "stellar" parenting moment. It's not quite Bad Mother of the Year quality (wouldn't want to peak too early in the year), but of the week? Yeah. You see, Monday, John was doing so well. He was hitting and running. Throwing and catching. Cheering and talking imaginary, mostly polite, 6-year old smack. He was a man possessed by the love of the sport. Until they put him on third base, which is about the same time I lost it.

Suddenly, the kid turned into Jack Sparrow. He was weaving and dodging, swiping at some invisible (to us) foe just above his head. The look on his face was an exact replica of Capt’n Jack – a mix of suspicion, irritation, and general confusion. I started to chuckle.

And then, I made the worst mistake you can make when you’re laughing and really oughtn’t be: I tried to stifle it. Might as well feed a gremlin in a pool at two in the morning. It was over. Soon I was cackling between sucking breaths. Tears bubbled up over my lids, and splashed down onto my cheeks. Just when I thought I had myself composed enough to join the practice again, I’d look up in time to see him sidestep and stumble over the base. Arms flailing. Eyes squinty and leering, chin set. And all composure was lost. My final hope of getting it together died instantly when a batter fielded a ball straight past him, and he didn’t notice until a hoard of children flew past him, all duck-walking to catch the ball. He spun around, cocked his head toward the children and then began swiping at the unseen foe. I was a goner.

Zorak chuckled a little at first, too. Then he started to ignore me. I’m pretty sure he scootched over at some point because when I toppled over onto his arm, it wasn’t there. Finally, he gave me the, “have you been drinking” stare, and that sobered me up somewhat. Well, that’s about when practice ended, too, so that may have helped.

For the record, no alcohol was imbibed at, or before this practice. Turns out there were mosquitos buzzing around John’s head at third base. After he’d been bitten by one, he determined there was no way he was going to let another one so much as land on him. Suddenly, his behavior makes a world of sense. And mine? Well, what do you want to bet someone slips me an AA tract after the next parent meeting?

But it was funny.

I do love that John Boy. Thankfully, that part’s a given, so when his parents occasionally perform a stunningly moronic slip, it’s easier to forgive. And, as James pointed out, I wasn’t laughing at him, I was laughing at the action. Yeah, I like that. But I still expect the award to arrive sometime this week.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Jenni said...

Too cute. I love it when they do things like that--even more so when there *isn't* a reason for doing them.

Melora said...

As long as he was distracted by the mosquitoes and didn't think you were laughing at him, I don't think it counts as Bad Mothering. Zorak may put in a claim for Excessive Frivolity Unbecoming in a Wife, but he'd probably do better just to shrug and write it off to "Sometimes she gets like this!" Did the other kids (and the coach) know what was really going on?

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

If it makes you feel better, I probably would have laughed, too. :)

J-Lynn said...

ROFL did he notice you? That's the key! ;-)

I'm glad I wasn't there. Or DH. We both have a bad habit of laughing more if we're in a place where it's just not OK. Like church. We avoid eye contact and think about morbid things and sometimes that doesn't even work.

Be sure to dust that award, I'm sure it will be mine soon. lol

Rebel said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. That reminds me of a wedding I attended with ex-dh. The vocalists were AWFUL, and the chorus of the song was something like, "Lord help us Jesus." We could not stop giggling, and were trying in vain not to burst. Luckily we were on the last row, but we were getting some dirty looks.
Rebel

melissa said...

Go look what I just posted, exposing myself to public humiliatin and socaial services..(isn't there some sor tof statute of limitations??). It'll make you feel like Wonderful Mother of the YEAR!!

momanna98 said...

HAHAHAHA!!! Too funny.