Monday, March 5

A Rose, By Any Other Name

Would be just as difficult to pick.

She-who-must-not-be-named (well, she could be named, but refuses to pick one), has, ironically enough, blogged about naming her children. Her story is great. She asked me to blog about it, too. My story? Well, they're named James, John, Jacob. And Emily. It's a pretty sure bet my story isn't that creative. And we don't have a cat named Smidge or Jimmy or even... well, we don't even have a cat.

So, here's how the basic scenario played out the first time around:
Z: How about Roland?
D: No.
Z: Creighton?
D: No.
Z: Roland?
D: No.
Z: Fine. You pick one.
D: *squeal* OK, how about Christian?
Z: *snort* How about B'hai?
*glare*
*silence*
D: You can't make me say okay to Roland, you know.
Z: Muslim? Unitarian? Agnostic?

Thomas. We both liked Thomas. But you can't pair Thomas with our last name. It invariably comes out "Thomas Edison". Hmmm. No good. In the end, we picked James. We both like James. We both have positive connotations of the name. He has a buddy, James, who he thinks the world of; I have an Uncle Jim and a buddy from high school who I think highly of, and so, it was done.

The girl name-picking session took a bit longer. It seems between the two of us, we either knew a thousand children with the names we liked, or could think of horrible things kids can do to the other names we liked. A few, we tossed because they would have condemned a girl to life on the second barstool from the end. A few more, we weeded out due to the somewhat restrictive nature of the names. The list of those rejected by only one or the other of us is enormous. We just couldn't come to a consensus. It was rough. Honestly, if we'd had James, then Emily, we'd have had to stop there, because we'd run out of girl names we could agree on.

Here comes child number two. The conversation(s) went something like this:
D: If it's a girl, Emily, right?
Z: ...right... and if it's a boy, Roland.
D: *hairy eyeball*
Z: Do you like Martin?
D: You know, I do.
Z: *pause* That was almost too easy. Do you really?
D: I really do -- wait. No. We can't do Martin.
Z: Why...?
D: My buddy, James? Yeah, Martin is his other name. That might seem creepy at high school reunions. I'm sorry.
Z: No. I totally get that.
D: Well... wanna try Thomas again?
Z: I really like Roland.
D: Chester.
Z: What?
D: If you can put Roland on the table, then I want Chester. Chester Christian. Or possibly Christian Chester. You can pick.
Z: Can we talk about this later? (And then, in his head...) Like when you aren't pumped full of growth hormones and kind of scary and irrational...
D: I heard that.
Z: I didn't say anything.
D: You thought it.
Z: And I was right. But you can't get me on a technicality. Even if we'd been taping this conversation, there's no evidence to convict me. Want a foot rub?

I don't remember how we came to John for a name. I do remember that we'd had it picked for a while before we realized we'd then have two children with the same first initial. My mother did that with her first batch of kids, only it was intentional. They all had the same initials, first-middle-last. Monogrammed gifts were a nightmare in that family. I thought it was kind of creepy, personally, and have always been glad I came later, thus dodging that bullet. So, we made sure his middle name did not begin with the same letter, and called it good.

There. We were done. Two kids. Only one slight snafu on the whole initial thing. Zorak liked the combination. As he pointed out, I could tell folks from church we'd named them after the Sons of Thunder from the Bible, and he could say they were named after the Belushi brothers. Everyone wins.

But, wait! There's more!
MORE? We can't have any more! We're out of names, and we're not having a girl. So. So, we're done. Remember? Two children? D-o-n-e. *chuckle* Ah, okay. But if we DO have a girl? (both, in unison) Emily. Ok. Cool.

Now we were in a pickle. We couldn't have James, John, and The Spare Kid. Or possibly, James, John and The One We Didn't Plan For. We felt compelled to use a J name. Do you have any idea how many bizarre J names are out there? Wow. Three months of wading through those, including a brief, yet enthusiastic, courting of Jedidiah (Zorak went to school with a Jed. He was twitchy, but brilliant, down-to-earth, and didn't seem terribly scarred by his name, but we couldn't come up with a middle name that could pull it together, you know, like a rug), and we emerged with Jacob. Again, I don't know how, exactly. We weren't even 100% certain the day he was born. I think poor Smidge spent the most time nameless of the four.

And then, Number Four.
D: Emily?
Z: Emily.
D: But, what about her middle name?
(*editorial note: no backstory to the boys' middle names. The combinations had to offer plenty of variations, enough nicknames to fit whatever they might like in the future, work well when yelled in full from the front porch, and not be difficult to pronounce or spell to strangers. That last one is my personal issue. Enough years being called "Dylan" or "Dion" and you get pretty fanatical about plain-Jane spellings.*)
We picked the boys' middle names by how they sounded with the first and last names. I'd like to do something special for Emily's middle name. You know, since her first name is a hand-me-down to the fourth generation. She needs a really special name.
Z: Yeah.
D: Would your Mom mind if we named her after her?
Z: *blank stare* Mind? No.
D: Ok. We should do that, then. Emily Radna. I really like that.

We toyed again with Jed. Wrangled over Roland (that doesn't even BEGIN with a J - I don't know how it kept coming up.) If she'd have been a he, we'd have probably gone with Joshua. It has a J. It's easy to spell, difficult to mispronounce, and we were out of ideas. Thankfully, though, we had our Sweet Miss Emily.

And now, we're done. I think. No guarantees, but I'm relatively sure. We're out of names.

16 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

LOL! I love to hear how other people came up with names! That is ALWAYS a sticking point for Bob and me too. Bob was a fan of "Francis" for awhile. And "Vernon", after someone he saw on a documentary that inspired him (Martin Luther King's preacher maybe?). Finally I made a short list of names I liked and asked him to pick one of those. Fortunately he's always been able to. Whew! It's never been really easy though . . . : )

L said...

The Gunslinger?!

Cool.

I considered Danger or Defiance for middle names once but decided not to push my luck.

Anonymous said...

What, no Cuthbert?

*grin*

Amy said...

Dy, I can't believe you courted Jed. Jed has been our second son's name for about 5 years now. After the ultrasound, it appears that Jed will have to be my imaginary son's name, but I still claim that name, nonetheless.

We named Luke at dinner about 5 minutes after I found out I was pregnant and never looked back. Girl names - a different story. Peyton Rose was Sadie Rose until about 5 minutes before she was born and Bud decided he didn't like it after all.

Now it appears we have to come up with ANOTHER girl name. Let's just say we have not come to an agreement on that one. Humph.

I loved your naming stories! And Roland does not fit any of your children, by the way. Even though it is a nice name.

Patty in WA or Rover said...

My husband was stuck on "Jasper".

Gads.

We named the BEAR Jasper, but not the boy. The boy STILL owes me on that one.

mere said...

I loved this post! But don't you think Em might like to have a sister at some point?

Maybe you could name her Rolanda!

Well, I laughed!

mere

Anonymous said...

LOL...the thought of you as a "Dion" is for some reason (oh, the late hour, no sleep last night and WAY too much caffeine, maybe?!?!) cracking me up.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great and funny post!! I loved this: "Like when you aren't pumped full of growth hormones and kind of scary and irrational..." It is just so true and exceptionally funny.

We, you see, had the opposite problem. We had one boy in five pregnancies and felt like we scooted under the "boys only" entrance just barely. :+) It was the girl names that were hard for us after using up three of our favorites (Hannah, Abigail, and Elizabeth) we were just stumped. It did not have to be biblical, but I didn't want something modern either--it had to be clearly a girl name. Emma was our choice (after much late-night discussion with the baby name book--which are only helpful in making one laugh late at night anyway). The middle name was just as hard. I felt like I was giving birth just trying to make it happen. We did though, Emma Katherine. She is our babydoll and we are pretty sure (baring a fairly big miracle of course) that she is our last. We eat her up every day with her cuteness and she is fast growing!

Enjoy that little baby while you have her--oh it is gone just way too fast.

Loved this post!
Warmly,
Kate

Amy said...

I always love hearing about how names were picked. I did this over on my blog. I'm not as funny as you are, and honestly can't remember our baby name sessions quite as well as you did. But the general idea is there.

I love your children's names.

Amy

melissa said...

I dunno what's so hard. Just name em' after cities. Austin, Savannah, and Jackson. That's what we did. Easy to remember, no fancy spellings.....southern.

O.K., maybe it wasn't that easy....and maybe there's a story in there somewhere...hmmmm.... Maybe I'll have to post it.

Great post, Dion.

Amber said...

I always enjoy hearing about how names are picked, thanks for making me laugh.

Roland, though? Hmm... Can't say that would fly with me either!

We know someone who really wanted to name one of their daughters Jermima - to the everlasting gratitude of the two daughters, he did not win out on that one!

Matt and I were recently discussing names and we came up with a great boy's name (although, strangely, I cannot for the life of me remember what it is at the moment - oh well, Matt will remember!) and we already have a girl's first name picked out. We're not eager to have another one or anything... *grin*

Janet said...

Lauren Paige. I've always loved the name Lauren and my daughter, who was 10 at the time loved the name Paige from watching Trading Spaces (Paige Davis). So that was it. My hubby simply agreed. It's actually quite fun that Hannah had a part in naming her baby sister.

Becca said...

It's always so fun seeing the evolution of names. What a process we have to go through to agree!

Emily said...

after the Belushi brothers BWAHAHAHA!!!

We think we are done having kids too b/c we are out of good names. It is hard coming up with good ones!!

Funny post!!

Anonymous said...

Dy, you had me on the edge of my seat...

wondering

waiting

to see

if you were going to announce a new edition to the family!
What a deflation.
I'm so upset with you. lol

Okay, the name game. I have no idea what I was thinking but I allowed my mother to name my first born daughter. Her name is very different, as is my name. I should've known.

Anyway, I love the names you've picked. I think they're strong and wonderful names. I only wish I would've had the same forethought in picking names but instead, I allowed my family members the honor.

What was I thinking?!!!

:-P

Delaina pronounced Dee-lay-nuh

PS My children are Aryana pronounced Air-ee-ah-nuh, Lauren (my husband picked) and Frederick the 4th (a given).

Meliss said...

Yeah, I go the "Can we talk about this later?" comment along with, "We have plenty of time to talk about names, we don't have to decide now." Drove me nuts, because the name-pondering was one of the few enjoyable parts of the nine months of torture.

Thanks for sharing your naming process!