Thursday, March 22

Getting Out The Door

A friend observed once that in order to get out the door at seven, she has to start the process at three. She wasn't joking, but the only ones in the group who knew that were the ones with more than two children. (This friend has six, and she's *good*. I want to be her when I grow up.) If you have children, you'll laugh because this wasn't you. If you don't, hopefully it will inspire you to have tenderness, and a flexible time frame, for your parent-friends. The friends in today's story are just such friends, and I love them for it.

Zorak calls at lunch and says, "Hey, they're gonna have the boat at the dock right after work. Can you have the boys ready?" (Me-Wa and Me-Tae bought a little fishing boat and wanted to surprise the boys. Totally awesome idea.)

Um... sure?

Now, I was planning to do all this on Friday. Or Saturday. This is Wednesday. What, in our ten-plus years together, made him think I am capable of this task on such short notice, I do not know.

But I gave it a good shot, and thought, for a while, that we would make it. I let the boys off the rest of their studies under the condition that they would please go find socks and some kind of shoes and meet me at the door. (Yes, this was around one. No, we didn't have to leave the house until after four. It takes that long.) Walk with me through the afternoon.

The three big ones shout, "OK, Mom!" and we're off!

Five minutes later...

I've scrounged up some empty bottles, filled them all carefully 2/3 full with water and set them (mostly) upright in the freezer.

I found a cooler. (Huh? This isn't ours. Where did this come from? *sniff* Well, it smells clean. It'll work.) Wiped it down. Threw in some cheese sticks. And some ice. Eight cubes of ice, to be exact, because somebody has - once again - turned off the ice maker.

John is standing in the front yard, wearing church pants. And pirate boots. And no shirt. "John, sweetie. You're going fishing. Don't you think you might not want to wear your navy Dockers?" With a cheerful, "OK, Mom," he heads inside to change. I'll deal with the boots later.

Smidge, honey, let's get your socks... why are you naked?
"Me wants to have JAMMY DAY!"
OK, that would be a place to start. Where are your jammies, then?
"No me no."
Alrighty, get some socks, sweetie. I'm going to go find Baby Girl.
"OK, Mom."

(I haul screaming BabyGirl in from the precipice of death that is our front porch, while yelling down the hallway, "JOHN, Honey, you can't leave the front door open. BabyFlash is an escape artist!" He yells back, "OK, Mom!")

As I set ScreamingBabyGirl down in the nursery, a pair of underwear lands on her head. *Huh?* Smidge has his head *in* the drawer, flinging skivvies, hand-over-hand. James enters, fully clothed in a sweater, jeans, thick socks, and boots. He immediately starts trying to intervene. (He's trying to help. He's trying to help. He's trying to help.)

Smidge is screaming, BabyGirl is screaming (and apparently stuck in the leg hole of a pair of whities). James is getting irate, shouting, "Stop it! You are NOT a cartoon character!" (I can't help but think he wouldn't say that if he could view this scene objectively...) I see movement from the corner of my eye, through the foyer and out the front door. Leaving it open.

That was John, now wearing his tan Dockers. And cowboy boots (because pirate boots just don't go with tan?)

"Smidge, why are you crying?"
"No me have socks."
"*sigh* James, can you catch BabyGirl (she's back on the porch now, and heading for the steps) and take her to your room while you change out of that sweater? You're going to roast."
"OK, Mom."

"And Smidge, let's get you some socks."
"OK, Mom."

(Yelling out the door,) "John, Honey, I was thinking something more along the lines of your cargo pants or jeans. Remember, not church pants, okay?"
"OK, Mom."
"And shut the door!"
"OK, Mom."

We get Smidge some socks. I direct him to find the clothes he was wearing prior to the JAMMY DAY announcement, and put them back on. James has BabyGirl safe and sound... I bolt to the basement to find the life jackets. Find them, just in time to hear a thump and some kind of wailing noise. (I have a game I play sometimes, where I try to guess the incident before I get to the scene of the crime. Was it Smidge, in the nursery, with the corner of a drawer? Or was it Emily, in the boys' room, with the ladder to the bunks? Kinda breaks up the tension.)

It was Smidge, in the nursery, on the doorknob. I was close. More crying. James announces he's ready. And he really is. Oh, bless that child!

(You do know, though, that we're not even CLOSE to being able to head out the door, right? But at least they're cheerful, and their hearts are in the right places. I can't get angry about that.)

John informs me that his shoes have no laces. Why? Who has taken them, and where are they now? (We launched a full-scale man hunt for the laces, but I ended up calling Zorak. "Are you still at the store? Oh, good. Can you please get John some shoe laces? Thanks!")

Smidge is dressed. But his feet have grown. Since last weekend. (Call Zorak back. "And Smidge shoes? I don't know. Hang on. Um, they're six and a half inches long... *screaming erupts in the background as BabyGirl claws at the front door and perfoms an opera about the orphan child locked in a dungeon - while Smidge starts yelling at James, who is digging through the craft things, searching for shoe laces* Can you convert from that? I've really got to go. Love you!")

James? Still good to go. Thank God.

Baby girl? She's okay, although exuding some kind of weird slime that's going to make her look dirt-breaded after five minutes on the bank of the river. But otherwise? She's fine.

Smidge? Still mostly dressed. I didn't even ask about underwear. He had pants. A shirt. Socks. Life is good.

Quick head count - 1, 2, 3, 4. *whew*

Check the water in the freezer. Only two spilled. Still no ice cubes. Stupid gremlins. Pack. Load. Wrangle. Wipe. Clean. Tidy. Pray. Pretty simple routine once you get the hang of it.

Zorak pulls up and it's a flurry of lacing and fitting and wiping and loading. Me-Wa calls. They've been at the dock for a while. They're waiting for us. What's taking so long? Zorak rushes. I do one last once over. Nobody is wearing anything too weird. Nobody's naked. Ah... I no longer care. "Load up!"

Zorak tells me we're taking the Suburban. Oh.

Yell out the door, "Wrong car!" Smidge cries again. Three hours ago, I would have bothered to ask. Right now, I can tell he's not bleeding, not stuck in the pickup, doesn't have a pitbull stuck to his head. He's fine.

And that's when Zorak looks at me and says, "You ready?"

Me? Oh, Honey. (Don't cry. Please don't cry, Dy. Deep breath.) I'm wearing one of your shop rag t-shirts, soccer-shorts-as-boxers, no bra, and I haven't showered in three days. I have zits. My finger isn't healed yet, and it hurts. Until you'd called, I'd been cleaning and teaching all morning long. And did I mention that I have PMS? Listen, I know where to find you. But there is No. Way. NOWAY I'm passing up the opportunity to wait until you leave so I can take a shower. Alone. With no "help". No stray drafts. No on-off-on-off of the vent fan. Nobody crying. Nobody screaming. No worries that someone has set BabyGirl adrift.

I. Am. Tired.

He shakes his head, but smiles. "OK, Mom."
I smile and wave. "OK, Dad. Love you!"

Ten years ago, a story like this would have scared the living daylights out of me. Now? Not it's not so bad. I wouldn't trade it for all the quiet, calm, or free time in the world.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

Bridget said...

When Blake was little and you would try to get ready to go somewhere he would take his pajamas off and run around the house naked with his underwear on his head singing "naked va naked". Don't ask, we have no idea where he came up with that. Gotta love them

Amy said...

That could have been written about our house on any given weekday. I am ready for 'spring' activities to be over. The good news is that with one who can dress himself appropriately there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Amy

Needleroozer said...

OK, remember the other day when you told me to tell you that it does get better? Well, this part of it does. Because when they are older you really can give the responsibility of gettin gready to them. ANd if they don't have what they need (and usually they don't), at least you are not responsible for it!
Hang in there baby.
LB

Rebel said...

Wow. I'm exhausted just reading that.
Rebel

Meliss said...

"...doesn't have a pitbull stuck to his head" :D

Okay, I want to be you when I grow up, because you still said "Love you!" to Zorak even with missing shoelaces, shoes too small, and kids screaming in the background.

Jennie C. said...

Wow. In an emergency, we can be out of the house in under ten minutes. In a planned non-emergency, about half an hour. Unplanned, about an hour. But my older kids are helpful girls. I've noticed the boy isn't nearly as useful. :-D

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh, Dy! What a day for you! I'm impressed that you wrangled the kids without getting cranky. :)

And you know, I feel better about our morning, now. Granted that it was a planned exodus, and I'd packed everything the night before, but it only took 45 minutes!!!

Thank you for the very humorous, very encouraging look at reality. :)

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, well, this was our house last weekend, right down to "me trying not to cry and passing up the opportunity to go to the basketball game so I could stay behind and GET SOMETHING DONE". Wow. So this is what it looks like written down, LOL!

Emily said...

YEP! You nailed it right on the head! I hope you had a nice long hot shower.

Anonymous said...

I love the story! I only have two-but a can still relate- maybe because mine are both boys and the eldest has some serious attention/impulse issues.

What cracks me up is how incredibly early I am to anywhere I show up without them. ( Not that I go anywhere without them...except really fun things like root canals and gynocolgist appointments) I have unconsciously added 45 minutes of slop time into every departure.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Amber said...

Ah, another one of those posts where Matt came downstairs and said "you have to go check out Dy's blog" LOL

Thanks for bring mirth and joy into our morning - and we were definitely laughing with you and not at you. :-)

The best part though was that after I finished reading it Matt said "the funniest part about it is that I can so picture you doing all that in a few years, once we're in our house and have a few more kids." I just laughed and responded that I hoped to be slightly better dressed. :-D

Oh, and I do that Clue thing too - it keeps the brain engaged and adds a fun element of mystery to my day.

momanna98 said...

OH! Thanks for the laugh! You TOTALLY brightened my day! To bad it's not funny when I am going through that every, single, Sunday... ;-)

J-Lynn said...

Dy --- I find myself oftentimes at the grocery store with a shoeless child. Once my oldest daughter went to church in a dress with NO underwear on. Even when you check there's time for them to slip by unnoticed when it's this hectic. I feel your pain and I also know, like you, to cherish these days because one day we'll be crotchity old women complaining about how "young people these days" can't seem to get anywhere on time! LOL

ON that note, off to lay out the clothes for morning service. ;-)