Sunday, March 11

Not so bright, and not so stoopid

Not so bright: I sliced the meat off the third knuckle on my middle finger today. Stoopid, stoopid thing to do. Knew better, but sometimes we just get so comfortable in the things we do to stop thinking about the things we know. Thankfully, it was a sharp knife, and everything could be put back in place fairly accurately. I'll leave it splinted for a couple of days, hopefully it'll stick back together okay. Please pardon typos over the next few entries. I had no idea how integral to the typing process that middle finger is!

Not so stoopid: Evidently, Balto should have been named Houdini. We had company for supper tonight. Fresh children to herd - WOOHOO! So, we let him in the house after supper, while the children played outside. But, no, that would not do. The in-and-out traffic through the front door was just too heavy to expect him not to make a break for it and succeed. SO, we put him in the basement. Not fifteen minutes later, there he was, skulking along among the iris and daffodils, heading straight for all the fun! I took him back in, flipped the two locks on the basement doors, leaned a cinder block against the door, propped a pallet under the door knob, and braced that with a mongo extendo-ladder/scaffold combo. As I emerged from the basement into the hallway, I commented (half in jest) that if he can get out of that, he's a genius.

Well, he's a genius. Who knew? He's out there, now, rolling happily in the grass.

And so, another weekend ends.

We made a lot of progress on the Forever Yard. The mystery tree from last week is in bloom right now, so it looks like it's hearty enough to have survived the frost. (Yay!) Zorak has the forms almost done for the first garden bed. The pile for the chipper is growing impressively. The barn is nearly cleaned and ready to earn its keep. Zorak's already making plans for fencing, and our first cow-calf operation. It looks like I've lost my argument that goats are smaller (and thus, less intimidating to, erm, the small children... yeah, the kids...) But all taken, things are looking good. Feeling good.

The children ran wild for hours today, thoroughly enjoying their friends and this beautiful Southern spring weather. Sleepy children seem not to notice the time change, and so, they slipped to bed without complaint. I think we will have to make it a tradition to spend the first day of Daylight Savings Time BBQ'ing with friends, running the children into a dreamy, happy, exausted sleep come evening. Quite nice.

And now, I am off to continue traveling with Mr. Twain, who has left Tangier, and is headed for points further East.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

J-Lynn said...

What a fun day! OUCH about the cut!

Balto & Sheba may run off into the sunset together! LOL

Jenni said...

Are y'all doing 4-H? Is that what the cow is all about? I *so* wanted a milk cow for the longest time, but was finally convinced that it's just not practical for us. I'd like to find someone to buy fresh milk from, though.

Hey, keep us posted as you find out what those trees and plants really are. Isn't it kinda fun to have a mystery to solve?

Dy said...

j-lynn, lol - do we need to get balto to the "vet" before the elopment? ;-)

jenni, zorak's family is a ranching family, so i think it's in his blood. the cow is actually for beef. (i wanted something for milk, but not an entire cow, lol!) anyway, i'll write more about the overall plan when i can type well again. we're looking forward to it. :-)

Dy

Melora said...

Sorry about your poor finger. Ouch!
I think Balto might even be a more amazing escape artist than our Bo. We lock Bo in the back room when we leave, barricading the door. We also put a baby gate across the bottom of the stairs with a chair in front of it. Nevertheless, we all to often find that Bo has broken through to his goal -- snuggling up on Ed's side of the bed, head on the boss's pillow.
The cow sounds exciting! I'd prefer a milk cow too, but any livestock should be a fun adventure.

Bridget said...

You should have the cow and some goats. I grew up on a mini-farm with goats, cows, horses, pigs, chickens and anything else my Dad could find for us to raise. It was wonderful and I loved every minute of it, give me a barn over cleaning the house anyday of the week. The goats are so much fun.
Sorry about your finger and also so about the "Uh oh" on my blog, I can not blog from home, I do not knwo what is going on with my computer. The icons (to attach photos, check spelling, etc) are gone when I try to post, I can't preview and if I do type something and then post it all I get is the title. I will try to get in here a little early tomorrow and catch everyone up.

J-Lynn said...

OH you know what? DH may never leave. He'd love to have cattle and all that razzamatazz. LOL

As for Balto - nah, we "liberalized" Sheba a long time ago. Did you get that e-mail? hahaha

Rebel said...

Wow! Did you ever figure out how Balto escaped? I LOVE Spring in the south.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh Dy, OUCH!! I hope it heals quickly.

Amber said...

Yee-ouch! I hope that finger heals quickly!

It sounds like things are shaping up nicely - and a cow/calf, how exciting! I'm with you though, I think I'd rather just go for the goats... but I'm sure either way it is going to be a neat experience for everyone.