Wednesday, March 21

Oh, look! Another big... uh, move along, kids.

So after working hard last Saturday, we realized we had (once again) not prepared something for supper ahead of time, and so... into town for supper. While waiting to be seated, we noticed another good-sized family beside us.

"Oh, look, they have as many children as we do!" I whispered to Zorak.

He counted. "More. They have five."

"Oh. No, one more. Six. How cool."

"They're cute, aren't they?" By now, our children are waving and smiling at their children.

"Yeah, they are. Oh, seven. Wow, that is so awesome!"

About this time, the father, whose ears are probably programmed to hear any mention of the number "seven", turned to find us staring at his family. He looked prepared to tell us it's none of our business. We smiled.

"We were just admiring your beautiful children."

He smiled.

We began talking. They're in town for a soccer tournament. Oh, what fun. Kids and hotels, and negotiating travel with so many people. General family chit-chat. The wife overheard adult conversation and turned around. She's pregnant! Oh, she's beautiful. Made me want to have quadruplets right then and there, just because.

Then she gave me the once-over and her whole demeanor changed. She shot him "the look", he gave us (me) the once-over. Conversation ended.

Huh. That was a little strange, I thought. Well, we have been working in the barn all day. We're a little grunged out. Maybe... I don't know. Maybe she thought we're in the business of nabbing other people's adorable children. *shrug* OK, whatever.

So we sat down, and I took off my coat and went up to get some food. And I got several other really odd looks. Mostly from families. What the --??

THEN it dawned on me.

We have a selection of t-shirts we use for wearing around the house, working on the land, etc. And I was wearing one of those. Emblazoned across my chest, in bold letters and detailed artwork:


Polygamy Porter
Why have just one?
Bring some home to the wives!



Well. That would explain a lot...

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

*edited to fix the slogan

13 comments:

Amber said...

Matt came downstairs and told me I had to read your blog. Oh man!!! That is too funny.

Wow, it is amazing you didn't get kicked out of the resturant, given what part of the world you live in! *grin*

Kim said...

Oh dear. I realize that it was probably embarrassing, but it sure made for a funny post!

H said...

BWAHAHAHA!

Okay, I'm sorry, but I think that's funny!

I must say, though, kudos to her husband. If I were his wife, I'd be thankful that it was ME and not my husband that noticed those words emblazoned across *another woman's chest*.

What self-discipline!

That, or maybe he can't read.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

ROFLMAO!

Meliss said...

I'm snickering here. Too funny! I'm also smiling that you were unaware of what you were wearing before going to a restaurant.

Hillary makes a good point about the husband.

Dy said...

Well, *shuffle* *mumble* it may have been that the camo hunting jacket I had on covered most of it.

I don't ever wear camoflauge as a "fashion accessory". But it got chilly when the sun went down, and on the way out, I just reached in the back of the closet for a light jacket, and... *sigh* yeah. But it's not like we changed before we headed out. I'd been in it all day, so didn't even think which shirt I'd put on, or that it might be wise to change it, down here in the Belt.

It was funny. Moreso later, from the safety of my own home. I had to fight the urge not to run up to the family and start shouting, "NO! No, we're not weird! Well, we are weird, but we're not. You know. It's. Um." But even in my mind, I didn't see that working out well, so I stayed put. Probably better that way.

Dy

Bob and Claire said...

That is so funny!!! Where do you even get a shirt like that, LOL! At least you all weren't eating with any female friends whose husbands happened to be out of town or anything to really cement the impression! : )

mere said...

Oh My. Maybe she thought you and Zorak were out on YOUR night and the other wives were at home watching the rest of the kids. That is just too funny!

andie said...

Kin I borry it? Fast walking neighbor is having a cookout...

Just kidding. I have no idea if she's having a cookout, but wouldn't that be awesome?

Melora said...

That is too funny! That is the shirt Andie needs to really have fun with her neighbor.

Unknown said...

ROFL!!! Oh my Dy - hysterical! Too bad I wasn't with you with my 5. I could have sat on Zoraks other side and had the kids call him "papa". Bwahaha!

I googled Polygamy Porter and saw the artwork. ROFL!!!

Becca said...

As a Utahn (where the Wasatch Brew is based) this story has me laughing out loud!! I love it!

Jenni said...

LOL! How did I miss this post? See, now I occasionally let my family wear shirts like that in public on purpose. I like to shake people up a little once in a while and sometimes I'm just feeling a little ornery. I will admit, though, that it probably wasn't wise to allow 13yods to tear down the equipment from the gymnastics meet wearing a T-shirt that says, "Boobies Make Me Smile". The T-shirt is kind of a family joke. Dh questioned the choice pointing out that some of the parents might not like it. Oops! Wrong thing to say. "Who cares! Let him wear it!" I practically snarled thinking of a few folks who are just a little too uptight and nosy. Doh! I forgot that some of the *little* girls might be there with their parents. I was thinking just the guys and a few (uptight) moms would be there. Okay, I feel kinda bad about that one. I feel worse that when the coach's wife laughingly told dh that some of the moms didn't appreciate it dh said, "Hey, Jenni let him wear it" and she just laughed and said, "Yeah, right!" My fault and dh gets the blame. Bad, bad, bad.