Wednesday, March 28

Just...Stuff

(You know, I have to work very hard not to abuse that category!) It's been one heckuva week around here, folks. Not all bad, but please allow me to whine a bit, first.

All that dental work we've had done over the last year? Not a bit of it has worked. Not. One. Bit. I've got an appointment Monday with a new Dentist For Big People. I'm in so much pain right now from bad work the first dentist did. Gah. I hate this. I hate going in blind. Of course they're going to say they can help you. They want your business. But can they help? I've asked around, stalking people who have lovely teeth, but they either don't have a dentist locally, or they don't have anything yay-or-nay to say about their dentist. "Eh, he's okay. He's on my insurance." *sigh*

Well, being the eternal optimist *snort* (Yeah, I know, but it sounded good, didn't it?) I'd think some dentist, somewhere, is capable of filling a cavity and not leaving the edges sharp enough to break those teflon flossers. (Had those "fixed" by him, twice. And three of 'em are still breakin' floss.) Or perhaps of putting on a temporary crown that doesn't protrude so far out of whack that it forces the patient's jaw out of line. (My favorite memory of this guy will always be when I mentioned that particular one, and was told, "Oh, well, that's only for six months." Wha--? And it hurts now. Well, it hurt then. NOW, it's more than mere inconvenience.)

I had a delightful dentist once. He did an amazing job. He got it right the first time, every time. He was gentle, thorough, honest. Well, mostly honest. Turned out he had a pretty rabid cocaine addiction. But even with that little glitch, I find myself wishing I could make a quick run up to PA to get the rest of my work done. Yes, I know that's wrong on so many levels. But it just serves to illustrate how desperate I am.

Then, this morning Balto had a Grand mal seizure. Whooo boy. Of course, I didn't look at him vibrating on the porch, and think, "Oh, looks like a seizure episode." I looked at him and thought, "Holy cow, can fresh rabbit do that to you?" Actually, my first concern was that he'd been poisoned. The boys helped me get everybody shod and loaded in less than ten minutes (WOOHOO) and off we went to the Wonderful Vet, who did a thorough check and said he's in perfect health and shows no signs of toxicity. He said it looks like epilepsy. Huh. So, I looked into whether we need to worry about Baltoid's mental stability (such as it is) and general personality changes (could he, by chance, be a little more calm after a couple of these things?) From there, it's just a matter of learning to live with epilepsy.

Wonderful Vet did touch base about letting him go down to the creek, but when we described it - nothing like Melissa's creek, which is a real creek - we just call ours a creek, but the other creeks would shun it and deny it membership in the AW-CRAP (Associated Waterways - Creeks, Rivers, Aquaducts, Ponds), he gave the a-ok. Poor BaltoDog. He's been a big clingy since then, and I don't blame him. Seizures are freaky enough for a fully functioning human who can listen to an explanation and process the whole thing. What's that like for a dog? Ugh. I can only imagine, "Oh, man. It was awful. One minute I'm chasing robins off the porch and chewing on my feet, and the next minute, I'm belching foam and peeing all over myself. Then they made me get in the CAR! What's that all about? I don't know what happened, but... I don't ever want to be alone again, man." Plenty of gentle lovin's and snuggles seemed to make him feel better. If he plans to stay inside more often, though, he is SO getting a bath tomorrow. He's such a good dog, and I feel bad for him. We'll see if we can identify any triggers he may have, and help him develop a safe spot for when he's feeling punky. He's our Balto-Dog, and we love him.

Oh, the finger? Almost healed! I still can't put any real stress on it, or it makes a wretched tearing sound - similar to velcro being pulled apart - and somehow, that doesn't seem like it should be happening. But it's significantly better. I thought it was lookin' pretty good, until I showed it to Zorak and he said, "Aww, a FrankenFinger!" Um... yeah, thanks, Love.

AND, we made it to Pioneer Club. We made it home. We got everybody snuggled and loved on. And in the end, I'm sitting here typing with my FrankenFingers (it's okay, I never planned to be a hand model, really), with my goofy dog draped across my foot. My wonderful husband is passed out cold with Smidge, and there's probably no way I will be able to wiggle in there with them, but it's such a snuggly, inviting scene, I may try anyway. The big boys are big. They did well this week. They've really learned how to work together (when they must) and how to be caring for those who need it. Really, it has been quite a week. But not as bad as it sounds. I'm thankful.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Oh sweetie,
You were so kind and there for me this morning, and I didn't even know your teeth were bothering you.

I am glad your finger is better, and I hope this new dentist helps.

Talk to you soon,
LB

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh Dy, your poor teeth! It really is hard to find good dentists, isn't it? I had a WONDERFUL one when I was growing up, but since then it has been one disaster after another. I went to one (on my insurance!) who informed me that I needed ten fillings and four crowns. I thought that might be a tad crazy, so I made them give me copies of my xrays and actually mailed them to my childhood dentist! :) Turns out the guy was a complete crook and just wanted lots of my money. I needed ONE filling.

All that to say that I'm empathizing with you! Sore teeth are no fun and finding a good dentist is awful too! :(

I hope your new dentist works out beautifully and you can stay with him for the rest of forever. :)

Bridget said...

A good dentist is hard to find, we have been very blessed with our dentist.
We had a dog that had seizures, he had to take medicine for it but he lived a long normal life. Good luck to Balto it has to be scary for a dog to go through that.
Glad the finger is healing, we don't realize how much of a hinderance it is to not be able to use just 1 of our fingers until we can't.

Jennie C. said...

In case it helps, I'll tell you how I pick important people like dentists, plumbers, hair stylists, and the like. I've had excellent luck with the method.

1. Pray
2. Open phone book to appropriate section.
3. Scan the list until you feel drawn to one.
4. Call and make an appointment.

Hint: try to choose businesses that have a NAME on them, like Bob Smith's Plumbing. It seems to me that people who put their good names on the line are more likely to do good work for you.

Anyway, the pray and pick method has worked really well, and the only service person I have who I don't like came with the house.

Good luck!

Melora said...

Good Golly! That is a lot of rough stuff in one patch!
I certainly hope your next dentist is a winner and actually fixes your poor teeth. We had a good one in Florida, cheap (relatively) and honest, and I am dreading hunting for a new one.
A tearing sound from my finger would give me the willies. Zorak needs to work on his reassuring comments.
Poor Balto! We had a couple golden retrievers when I was young, and one of them had seizures. It was pretty scary. Sounds like you have a great vet, though (does he know of a good dentist?), and that counts for a lot. Maybe whatever set him off was an unusual event, and he won't have any more.
I hope the rest of your week is peaceful & healthy!

Amber said...

Oh man, good luck on finding a good dentist! We have a great one out here in CA, but that doesn't exactly help much, does it. :-) I'm fully planning on continuing to trek back down here to go to this dentist even after we move, she's that great.

And I'm sorry to hear about Balto, what a surprise! I didn't even know dogs could have epilepsy. I wonder what his triggers are.

Ah, life! It is such an adventure, isn't it. :-)

Emily said...

EEESH!! Teeth problems are the worst! Good luck with the new dentist.

Our dog, Stella, has had epilepsy for years now (she's 7). We don't have her on any meds we all just live with it. Her trigger is over excitement (did I mention she's a JRT??). The seizures tend to ease when we take her outside, where it's calm, and talk gentle and pet her. Hope some of this may help poor Balto.

J-Lynn said...

I'm so sorry your tooth is bothering you. You should be light years ahead of the shape mine are in, I'm sorry!