Tuesday, March 13

Red Wasp Control

First, you cleverly disguise an entrance for the wasps. Hide it so well that even you have no idea where it is.

Then you let the wasps in, one at a time. This method works best if you make sure you have a decent alarm system. A child who has been stung before works well, but if you haven't got one of those, any child who reads voraciously and proceeds to freak out about the possibilities of, say, a cobra attack in North America ("but someone could have smuggled one into the country!") will work just as well.

When the alarm sounds, you simply leap from the floor, sending the small ones flying (some head for cover, some simply roll right off your lap) and grab your trusty fly swatter. The wasp will likely show you to it, landing quietly just. by. the. handle.

Begin the umpteenth search for bug spray this week (which you haven't got, and never remember to put on the list until you're mid-battle, of course). In a pinch, Lysol works relatively well. More of a mental boost than any actual help, but that's okay.

Now, exude confidence. Express to your small ones that it's only a small wasp. It's okay. It doesn't want to be here (anymore than you do), and that it won't hurt you if you stay still. Unless, of course, you make it mad by spraying it with Lysol. (Small, of course, also being a relative term. They don't need to know that its red body bouncing off the walls looks, from your vantage point, particularly large and invincible. And angry.)

And so, you begin. Wait. Smack. Spray. Smack. Leap! If you'd like to do it the way I do it, which is truly quite exciting for all involved, shut one eye. This will eliminate any of that pesky depth perception some people have which allows them to hit the wasp on any attempt in the single digits. If, however, you happen to be fond of your depth perception, well, I can't blame you. I'd use it if I had it, too. Smack. Spray. Smack. DIVE! And so on.

Red wasps have incredibly hard bodies. It's amazing how quickly your standard store-bought fly swatter will crumple and bow beneath the impact, while the wasp will only glare at you and start dancing a jig above your head. But if you have the cardiovascular strength to keep up, you will eventually be able so show your small ones the corpse. And they always want to see it. I don't know why. It's not impressive. Honestly, for all the pomp involved, it's more than a little humiliating to have only that to show for it, but they insist on viewing the vanquished foe. (And am I the only one who cringes the entire time with fear that it's not Really Dead, but only playing oppossum and waiting to poke one of my children in the eye with lightning speed before I can reach the Lysol again?)

The house is wasp-free for another hour or so. It smells clean and antiseptic now, too. Ah, I love Springtime in the South!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Meliss said...

Thanks for the (nervous) laugh! I've only had to kill a wasp once ~ twas scary.

My chemical engineering husband won't let me have Lysol in the house. I think he's more scared of Lysol than wasps. ;)

Dy said...

LOL. I can appreciate that. We bought it when the creeping crud threatened to invade our home last month. But it smells like a nursing home, so we never used it after the initial gag reflex wore off. I think last time, I used hair spray (why it was in the kitchen is one of those things I can go to my grave not knowing and be perfectly fine with...) Whatever's handy. But Murphy's Oil is really hard to get off the windows, so I try not to grab that.

Dy

Amber said...

LOL

I am so glad I am not the only one who fights off bugs with Lysol!!

We had a bout of ant invasions and I found that lysol works pretty well to kill those buggers. It doesn't seem to do anything to keep them away, but it is satisfying to spray it at them and watch them all die instantly.

Laura said...

We have wasps too, now that the weather is warming up. Ours are just the plain ol' black variety, though.

Rebel said...

Oh my goodness. This is ME, except that I use Windex.

J-Lynn said...

You guys are brave. I just ask my 9yo to kill them.

KIDDING!

Jenni said...

We get wasps in our house all the time. I usually suck them up with the vacuum cleaner or tell the kids to stay away from them and they'll die eventually.

Anonymous said...

Hey, a spritzer with soapy water also works, they'll fall to the ground quickly and you can deal with them from there.

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, I HATE wasps. They really scare me. They just seem so . . . evil. Your methods of fighting them sound a lot like mine, LOL. Did you ever find where they are coming in?

Dy said...

Thanks for the tip on the soapy water - they drop like small, angry rocks. Don't stay down long, but that's okay. I can usually get in enough whacks to do the trick before they get back up.

Claire, it's probably the screens, to be honest. We haven't repaired any of the screens or storm windows yet, and they were cared for just as gingerly as the rest of the house was.

Dy

Thom said...

You know spring is acomin' when the wasps start invading. I've found that just putting a glass over them (when they land on a flat surface) and then sliding a piece of cardboard under it, makes for a less stressful way of shooing them out of the house. I do, however, COMPLETELY freak out if there's a Wood Bee (they're so HUGE!!) or a spider (any size freaks me out!) in my domain. Lysol, windex, Pam...anything that squirts is fair game, man! Let the swat-fest begin!