Thursday, February 1

Kids & Weather

Every time we have a nice day, I usher the children outside. Then we spend the next two hours or more playing King of the Hill in the doorway. You'd think I'd sent them to their death on Mars. But today? Today is one of the coldest days we've had so far. And the kids are playing outside, soaked to the skin, covered in mud, happy... happy... weird kids.

We awoke to "snow", or what passes for it in Alabama, anyway. Quarter inch of fairly small ice balls scattered about the property.

You'd think the boys awoke in the North Pole. Did I mention they're muddy? It's been drizzling a slushy, sleety rainy substance since about seven this morning. I'm cold just watching them out the window. But bless their little hearts, they just don't know any better.
There's a slush man on top of the Suburban.

Balto seems to have decided it's time to panic and eat the children. (I listened in, he was laughing. It just looks a bit heinous, though, doesn't it?)


And, while I was snapping pictures of the boy-eating dog, I realized, yes, that's Smidge without his coat! He has gloves, but where'd the coat go? Argh.

I tell ya, the next time they come to me, whining over being out in the cold, cold 60' weather, I'm going to pull up these pictures and tell them,
"I WIN! I'm king of the hill! Out!"


I'm glad to see that EmBaby at least has inherited some sense... she's the most comfortable one in the house!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Laura said...

Lucky you! We got rain. Love the sleeping baby picture!

(But the knitter in me wants to know, who crocheted the pretty blue and white blanket/afghan/throw in the corner of the picture?)

Dy said...

Laura, that beautiful blanket was made for Smidge by his great-Grandma. We call her Gram, and she's just wonderful. All the children have something special made for them by her - little rag dolls, sock monkeys, and baby blankets. Everywhere we look, there's something of Gram, and it always makes us smile.

Dy

Melora said...

That looks like the snow we got today (so I guess we might as well have moved to Alabama & been near you guys & museums, since we don't get any more snow here anyway!). If my kids had put their little snow men (currently residing in the freezer) together, they probably would have had something about the size of Slushman. Your property is so pretty!
Em looks so toasty and sweet.

Dy said...

Ah, we tried! lol! But you found such a lovely place, and such a wonderful spot of the world.

It just dawned on me what looked wrong about Em's picture - I forgot to rotate it! LOL! Looks like she's sleeping upside down. Oops. :-) She was so toasty and warm. I was half tempted to curl up with her and let the strange, cold ones fend for themselves.
Dy

Ernest said...

Mine are like that too. When they want to be outside, they're going to BE OUTSIDE, darn it. When they don't, any excuse will do. "It's too hot", "It's too cold", "the coyotes are biting me!"

Bunch of whiners. I'll be glad, though, when we get into a place where I can throw them out into the yard for hours at a stretch and be worry-free.