Sunday, February 25

Garden Blogs?

This morning, while researching raised beds, I found this place, Compost Bin. The guy is in New Jersey, so I'm sure there will be things that wouldn't ever apply to our little piece of land, but he's enjoyable to read, and let his children plant a stick garden. How can you not love that?

Anybody read gardening blogs? I'd love to find some Southern gardening blogs (since we live in the South, and all). Would love to hear your suggestions!

Zorak and I have moved on to the portion of the Forever Home Remodel which shall hereafter be called The Garden. The technical term for its place in the whole renovation process is Phase I, part 3, subsection A. Or, possibly, we'll call it, "&#!@**$". We'll see how it goes. So far, though, so good.

We've dealt with location, layout, and general gameplan. For the most part. We have vague ideas where to go from here, and I imagine there will be a great deal of milling about, looking lost - both literally and figuratively - as we get our bearings.

Zorak and John took the tall pruning shears and the machete out back to tackle the massive growth back there, rid the trees of dead limbs, and get a jump start on the poison ivy. I went after the once-decorative shrubbery in the front. It's all lookin' mighty spindly right now. John asked why we were doing it that way. I'm sure it seems strange to a child's mind to go in and remove so much foliage. We talked about getting the land healthy first, pretty later. It's just like our bodies, or our homes, or our relationships: they need to be healthy and strong, to have all they need in order to thrive. And then, it's pretty delightful to see they don't need to be "managed" for beauty, really. They're beautiful in their own right. Plants, people, and lives. We may not get much to actually grow in the "garden" out back, but this may be a wonderful year for the children.

Kiss (and nurture) those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Laney said...

That's wonderful! I am afraid I cannot help you with the garden blog or garden ideas or anything related to gardening.

Last summer I mentioned to Kevin that it would be nice if I started a garden. The fact that I was met with *uproarious* laughter did little to encourage my vision. If you remember I was once referred to as "The Plant Killer."

I think I'll stick to the grocery store.:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy,

Thanks for the link to my blog (CompostBin). I hope you found the answers to your raised bed questions. If not, let me know. I plan on building a few more (and posting about it) once the NJ weather warms up.

And if you're looking for more Garden Blogs you should check out voices.gardenweb.com