Tuesday, February 20

Frau Hillary's Pancake

We tried it. Oh, my, we may live off this stuff. Give it a shot.

This is the basic wheat-free version. I'll note alternative substitutions for other ingredients below the recipe.

In an oven-proof skillet (as always, I recommend cast iron), melt 1/2 stick of butter. (This is easiest to do by sticking it in the oven while the oven preheats.)

In a bowl, sift together 1/2 c. of flour blend, 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, 1 tsp. baking powder, 2 Tbsp. sugar.

Add to the bowl, 2 eggs, 1/2 c. milk, 1 tsp. vanilla.

Mix well.

Pour the batter over the butter and bake at 400' for 20-25 min.

Enjoy!


********Substitutions And Notes*********

The original recipe does not call for sugar or vanilla. I added those because I really wanted to. (It was for dessert, okay?) :-D

Butter in this could be replaced with any oil (coconut, maybe? Canola, plain vegetable, whatever you want - you just need the fats to make this thing really sing. Well, and to get it out of the skillet when it's done, I would imagine.)

Xanthan gum and guar gum are interchangeable. Use whatever you have, but if you're using non-wheat flours, don't leave it out!

Baking powder substitute: 2 parts baking soda and 1 part cream of tartar.

Milk - I used fat free powdered milk, and so I would imagine you could use any other milk - rice, soy, or almond - without problems.

I'm going to go eat what's left. We'll just have to make more in the morning. Thanks, Hillary!

2 comments:

H said...

Wait. This post isn't related to the food-poisoning question on the WTM board, is it?

.....


Just kidding! (But not really...) I'm glad you liked the pancakes. They're favorites here! Thanks for converting the recipe! I can hardly wait to try it!

Dy said...

OH, no, not at all. The food poisoning came Monday. I didn't fix this til last night. (Just in case any innocent bystanders think you've tried to poison us. *grin*)

I think James worked extra hard to keep down his tablespoon of peas and rice just so he could have a sliver of this stuff later on. lol. It worked!

Thanks for the recipe.
Dy