Monday, February 12

Renovation Tidbits: Landscape

So I told Zorak the other day that Spring's A-Comin'. We need to prune the fruit trees, and find out what type of fertilizer the nut trees will need this year. We need to clear some land for the garden and plan that. We need to arrange the best watershed scenario so as to make the best use of water and not cause any undue damage. I had a whole list of things for him to add to his Honey-Do list.

He said, "OK, that sounds good. You get spooled up on all that and let me know what we need to do."

*blink* *blink*

Wha-what?!? What?! NO! How'd he do that? That was most certainly NOT my plan! Nowhere near my plan. My plan involved me, staying inside (in the a/c) this summer, watching my beloved and our darling offspring do the natural-man thing. My plan was to greet them at the door with iced tea, fresh biscuits and gazpacho! My plan kept me far, far from the poison ivy, and the ticks, and the sweat, and the ticks.

And the ticks.

Gah. He's crafty, that one. It's a good thing he's cute, that's all I have to say.

So we're off to the County Extension Office today to find out what to do with a dying persimmon tree, how to cultivate muscodynes (and spell, evidently) muscadines, why on earth someone would eat poke leaves, and how to tell the difference between the berries of the latter two.

Give me a bed of cactus, or anything that grows in the Rocky Mountains, and I'm good to go. But all the Southern bit of Nature's Bounty leaves me realizing I would die in less than two weeks in the wilderness out here. Not from exposure. Not from dehydration. But from all those juicy, sweet, deadly berries!

Gah.

Kiss those babies, and tell them not to eat these:


~Dy

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Are you really going to eat the poke leaves, Dy? I seem to remember that some part of the plant *other than the berries* is edible, but only if cooked a certain way or harvested at the correct time or something. We have tons of pokeweed out here, but I can't imagine growing it on purpose to eat. That sounds like survival school stuff--fun but not worth the work of planting and nurturing. We've got wild grape and elderberries, too. My FarmerBoy wants a garden in the worst way, so I think I'll make it a homeschool project for him:o)

Dy said...

Me? No. I have no desire at all to figure out the Native Witchery behind the proper process for preparing those things for consumption. Medicinal herbs? Sure. Corn? Maybe. But poke leaves? That's right up there w/ eating puffer fish, if you know what I mean. Sure, *some* people do it... :-)

But they are EVERYWHERE on the property - over the bridge, beside the barn, under the balcony, around the carport. Other than the poison ivy, I think the pokeberry plant is the one with the highest number of applicable prepositions! Hey, that'd be a fun assignment!

We spent three fun-filled hours at the County Extension Office today. We have a mongo bag o' stuff-to-read. James is now quite concerned about Radon. It was a productive trip, in all. It will take us two growing seasons just to sort this stuff out.

Ahhh, what was I thinking???
Dy

Bridget said...

I love having a garden, but living in the Shenandoah Valley about the only thing we can grow is rocks and I mean huge rocks. I do manage to get some tomatoes talked into growing each year but that's about it.

melissa said...

Y'all have muscadines? And a persimmon tree??? Lucky, lucky! The kids will learn oh, so quickly how delicious a RIPE persimmon is.....and I cannot emphasize the word "ripe" enough.(Won't hurt you, but it's a sensation, you'll NEVER forget). ANd muscadines are supposed to top even blueberries for their antioxidant content....(and they make a mighty fine wine, too!) Enjoy!!

Laura said...

Muscadines are good to eat when you're a kid, too.

You're so smart to start preparing for spring now. I never remember that sort of thing. Thankfully, I live near my parents now and today my dad was out in my yard, fertilizing the pecan trees.

I think pokeberries might be good for dyeing fiber - can't remember!

Meliss said...

Shoot! I can't even grow anything in the Rocky Mtn region!

J-Lynn said...

Yikes, we had those pokeberries. I thought they were beautiful until I looked them up and saw they were poison. The kids clothes were stained from them pretty good but at least they didnt' eat any. ;-)

Dy said...

Melkhi, I can't *grow* anything in the Rocky Mtns, but I know what's safe to eat. ;-) Here, I'm a goner!

The boys will be SO excited about the muscadines when they see pictures, and realize how big and juicy they look! Can you make jelly out of them?

Melissa, thanks for the heads up on the importance of the *ripe* factor w/ persimmons.

Laura, did you know I'm technically an orphan? Would your Dad be willing to adopt me and come help me out with this stuff?

Dy