Wednesday, February 21

Mornin'

Well, I didn't mean to go to bed at ten last night, but somebody needed some snuggles. Actually, several somebodies needed some snuggles. I awoke again this morning under the pile 'o bodies. (Honey, if you're reading this, we're moving to the guest room. Meet me there Friday at ten, but don't mention this to the kids, okay?)

Today is Ash Wednesday. We don't attend a church that observes Ash Wednesday, and I miss that. The preparation, the reflection... all a part of preparing for Lent. I'm not sure why a church would observe Lent and not observe Ash Wednesday. Probably ought to talk to Pastor about that. (Cuz' if you don't ask, you won't know!)

If everything stays put today, we'll get outside for sure. We simply must. But I'm not telling you what we're doing, because everytime I write out a plan, we don't do it. Not that I blame you. No. It's me. Or maybe it's the small ones. Whatever it is, today is a "surprise day". Heh. How's that?

We're reading Captains Courageous now. It's written by Rudyard Kipling, and the story is delightful. Absolutely fantastic. As a read-aloud, though, it requires a certain verbal flexibility which, it seems, I simply don't have. The gymnastics required to keep one eye reading ahead in order to pace the phrases and speech of the day will wear. you. out. Goodness. This goes well beyond the banks of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever-trees. That, I can finagle. It's the myriad contractions (Vowel! I need a vowel, here, folks!) and the colloquialisms of the Boston fishermen from the 1800's (much longer, and more complex than our speech and pace of today). But even with that challenge, which is just a challenge and not really a hinderance, it's a delightful read. Perhaps one to read twice: once, to yourself, and then again, aloud. But don't miss it.

And now, two of four are up. Time to begin the day!

kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Heidicrafts said...

If you're up for it, have a small Ash Wednesday service at home.

When I was in college, I missed the Maundy Thursday service of my hometown, so I did one just for myself.

The church has a candle holder for 13 candles. As the betrayal story is read from the Bible, one candle is snuffed out for each disciple's desertion. Then for Christ's death. And we are left in darkness and go home in silence, a very moving ceremony.

Needleroozer said...

Whatever you do (and I have a guess as to what it might be), may today be filled with wonder and a calm sense of delight.
FYM goes to tournament practice all day, and the Young Miss has piano. OTher than that, no volunteer work to distract us from finding this house and turning it into a home.
Look for more pics on the blog today- now that I can do it, I am hooked!
Love and smooches to all,
LB

Laura said...

I have never read Captains Courageous - I'll have to add it to the list to be read. My oldest daughter always recommends that book, too!