Tuesday, February 27

Play Ball!

Or, more appropriately, "Run in circles and laugh until you trip and fall over!"

Baseball Season has begun. Yesterday was the first practice (moved from Saturday for some unknown reason). John is one of the older children on the team, which is good. It'll help balance out the fact that he hasn't been raised in a culture of sports and knows next to nothing about... any of it.

The coach is a doll, and his wife has more enthusiasm than any one person should be permitted. She's really great. And so organized. (I'll admit it, I sat and just stared at her - how can she DO so much with a manilla folder? How does she make that work? Don't things fall out and get coffee spilled on them, and don't her children *rearrange* them for her all the time? Ohhhhh, could she possibly have a Special Place for her paperwork? Mmmmmm. I must get to know this woman!)

But back to the children... They are so stinkin' cute! It's like being at the zoo, watching the Cute and Fuzzy Display. (The chain link fence may have added to that sensation a bit.) One little boy just danced and danced while he was in line. There was no music, but that didn't stop him. He was so much fun to watch. There's a little guy who reminds me of Ron Weasley, with his red hair and sweet nature. He was so enthusiastic, but couldn't run ten feet without flipping over. He'll be a tad bruised by the first game, but with his go-get-em attitude, he'll probably be running marathons in five years.

The kids were a bit shy with one another. Most of them look to the stands for their support and encouragement. As they get to know each other, they'll be more willing to shout encouragement to one another. But in the meantime, John and a couple of others flashed the "I love you," sign to their parents in the stands. And after each catch or toss or running stint, the little face attached to the action would turn our way, seek out his people and absolutely BEAM. That was good to see.

Actually, the whole afternoon was encouraging. There were three dads out on the field, helping the coach. The benches were filled with moms and siblings. No swearing. No fighting. No nastiness. We were in heaven. If you're ever feeling a little down on how our society is going, let me know and I'll bring you by the ballfield. Like a little shot of hope, really. But without the puckering fear of the needle, or the little cotton ball/bandaid thing.

We're sized for his uniform (oh. my. word. - those are just the cutest little things!!) and Zorak and I have the requisite parental support garments ordered (cap for him and t-shirt for me). I've got to find a small duffle bag for John to keep his things in. Practice comes three times a week, plus games on weekends, so it looks like I'm going to have to master the art of the stock pot, and make-ahead meals. But did I mention how absolutely adorable the little ones out on the field are? Oh.

And the coffee is good. Zorak put it well. It's not gourmet coffee good. It's not Circle K coffee good. It's, "We're sitting here, on a bench, watching our child play ball" good. Very good, indeed.

There were going to be pictures, but the upload cord has completely disappeared. Without a trace. Weird.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Wow they practice a LOT! And they sell gear for parents? Those guys are serious! LOL

I'm so glad John is liking it! How are the other kids? Do they love watching him play?

I look forward to hearing about the season! It is so funny hearing you talk about sports. ;-)

Hugs,
Jess

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Your children "rearranged" the cord, of course. :)

Meliss said...

I hope you find your cord!

Slightly OT, but, I posted this on the WTM board today, but didn't know if you'd see it:

I regularly read Dy's blog, because...

-she wears her heart on her sleeve
-she writes honestly about her life
-she blogs consistently
-she makes the commonplace interesting
-she delights in her family and inpires me to do the same
-she posts cute pictures of her kids
-she amazes me with her energy, talent, & can-do attitude
-she reads my blog, identifies w/ my life, & leaves comments that express her interest

melissa said...

Off to a great start!!! WOO-Hoo!!Oh- and you need to get John a bat bag for his stuff. CUTEST THING EVER watching those kids carry their stuff around like the pro's!! PLEEEEAASSEEE post the pics!

Jack's coach called last night, and Austin starts on Thursday. Let's Play Ball!!

Dy said...

Jess, keep mocking me, woman. Just wait til you're here... I have ways of exacting revenge, you know. ;-) (But if I'm being perfectly honest, it's weird talking about it.)

Emily, LOL! I did call Zorak to ask if he'd removed it. Or hidden it. He says no... that does leave the children in a particularly suspicious position, doesn't it?

Melkhi, awwww. Thank you for sharing your sweet words with me. That was a smile I sure needed today, too.

Melissa, "bat bag"? We have a bat box, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean. You DO know you're my unofficial mentor for this endeavor, don't you? Well, just for the record, you're not preparing me *ahead of time* very well... First there was the "cleats" issue, complete with panic-stricken phone calls for help. Now the "bat bag". You're not just snickering away over there, thinking, "Oh, wait'll she needs a whozit puller! BWAAHAAA! That's really gonna be a funny post!" (Are you?)

Dy, off to figure out what a bat bag is, and how to catch the bats to make one...

Laura said...

Love the description of family life as spring rolls in. And the description of the coffee - perfect!

Jenni said...

Wow, Dy! I'm glad you have real live adults as the parents for your son's baseball team. We did not have such a happy experience, which is a large part of why our ds did not continue to play. Wrestling is very similar, but our wrestler is 12 instead of 7 and more able to understand that not all big people are *adults*.

But isn't it cute the way a 7-year-old will pay more attention to the butterfly flitting about his head than the ball about to hit him on it?

Bridget said...

We have spent the last 10 years on the ballfield every spring with 1 child or another for baseball or softball. I have loved every minute of it and look forward to it every year. We have shirts, sweatshirts, coaches shirts, hats, pins and magnets for the cars, around our town (our very small town) sports is very important and they are very serious. Have a great time!!

andie said...

Dy, a bat bag is where your bat and other gear should be. Where it's supposed to be. And where it WILL be if Mom checks it before flinging it into the Suburban, but which will be mysteriously filled with other things if Mom DOESN'T check before arriving at the field and unfastening two babies. . The heft test: "feels full" is a TRICK.

A ninja turtle sword and entire collection of matchbox cars weighs just as much as two gloves and a bat and a chest guard, but aren't quite as useful on the field.

But that was t-ball. He's Serious now.

Amber said...

Wow, I'm glad that the experience went so well! That is a lot of practice though, I hope you have a lot of good audiobooks and such for all that time in the car going back and forth. :-) That's neat that the parents are all positive and present and such, I know it isn't like that everywhere. Personally, I'm rather hoping that my kids never notice the whole organized sports thing... but if they do I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! My family never did any of that, but my step-brother played soccer and baseball, then did wrestling when he was in high school. It is a big commitment!

Dy said...

Amber, Zorak tried to ignore it, too. But the desire has stayed for over a year on both boys - so there's no denying it. Really, I think that's why they don't get the drive until they're older. It gives us fogeys a chance to adapt and slowly come to terms with the fact that they're... not... babies... *sniff* Well, and the sports issues. ;-)

andthemama, Thank You! (And thanks for the reminder that not all hefts are equal in composition! LOL! I'll bet that was a fun day!)

Bridget, I don't think "serious" will ever really describe our tone, or our family. ;-) But I do hope for a fun and enriching year.

Jeni, yes, "real adults" - that's key, isn't it? When people freak out about archery tournaments, or that we plan to compete in the high-power rifle matches, we point out that people don't kill each other at those events. As opposed to, say, (Insert Church Lady impersonation, here) Little League... hmmmm. Hopefully, though, this will be adults in the stands and kidlets having a blast on the field.

Dy