Wednesday, January 31

Cinderella, Brother-Style

Gosh, what a few days it's been. We've been busy. Some of it good-busy. Some of it, not so much. But in general, not bad. The kids have been a riot.

The boys decided to put on a puppet show for BabyGirl the other day. They wanted to do Cinderella, but thought we'd have to make puppets for it first. "Nah," I said (trying to convey more "creative, fun mom" than "really lazy, don't wanna do it mom," which was closer to the truth).

Look, we've got a lion. That could be the wicked stepmother. And an elephant, which sister could the elephant be?

Pretty soon, we had the full ensemble:
MonkeyPrince
Pigerella
Wicked Steplioness
Step-donkey
Step-elephant
Fairy Frog Who Makes Milk Shakes (Smidge's theatrical interpretation of the role)

Two sea serpents served for glass slippers.

Most of the action was ad-libbed, and I had to bow out about half way through the production because the boys had me in stitches too badly to perform my part as narrator.

I wish I'd filmed it. I really do need to find the camcorder, because these are the things that simply do not transfer well to words. I'd like to watch it again, too, as I'm sure I missed a good part of the action in the background. The frog stayed pretty busy. And one day, I think it will be sweet for Miss Emily to hear stories of how utterly devoted to her happiness her brothers have always been. But you know, a little visual aid wouldn't hurt.

Yep, gotta find that thing.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

absolutely charming...I wish I'd seen that one, too!

Amy said...

I find the the Little People characters and stuffed animals make excellent fill-ins for puppets. I do it because I know that by the time we are actually finished making puppets, the interest in doing an impromptu play will be gone.

I keep thinking that I should install a nanny cam in the corner of our family room. I would love to have visible reminders of some of their antics - of course there would be other tapes I would erase as soon as possible.

Amy

mere said...

It sounds delightful! I think Emily is very blessed to have such sweet brothers.

mere

melissa said...

Awwwwwwww.........too cute! You GOTTA find that camcorder!!

Oh- and I saw the book discussion below. We give two thumbs WAY up for the Terry Pratchett books as well. Savannah especially loved these.