Thursday, February 22

Well, kids...

The nice policeman is flashing his lights and parking right behind Mommy because... Uh, I don't know, but I'll bet we'll find out in a minute!

License and proof of insurance, please.

AH-HA! I cleaned out the car today! *in my best sing-song voice in my head* I know where my paperwork is! I know where my paperwork is!

Whipped out proof of insurance (AND registration, just to show how organized I am), reached over for my bag and... looked in the back and... dropped my head onto my arm. "Boys, please tell Mommy her backpack is back there." The boys look around. Nope. *sigh*

And no longer doing the sing-song thing in my head - Of course it's not. I cleaned out the car today. My backpack is sitting on the porch at the house. I'm pretty sure the dog is tearing it apart as we speak. ("You see, officer, my dog ate my license." *snort* The stories they could probably tell!)

Evidently, I pulled a California-stop at the 4-way stop on the corner.

So, he took down all my information and went back to see if I was on the up and up. It took him a long time. I was so anxious (just because I hate being pulled over) that I took to sorting the trash in the little dangly bag on the cup holder. James and John did me the honor of reporting back every. movement. the man made.
"Mom! Mom! He looks mad!"
"Mom, he's talking on the radio!"
"Mom, he has a funny look on his face!"
"Mom, he's looking up at us!"
(Well, wave and smile and sit. back. down!)

I figured this was going to cost us heavily, so focused instead on talking with the boys. What better opportunity to let them know that I made a mistake, and although it wasn't intentional, it's still my responsibility. See, consequences for our behavior: it happens to all of us. We all make mistakes, but how do we handle it when we do? Want some milk to go with that Humble Pie?

The boys waved furiously as the officer made his way back up to the car. I got a verbal warning for being an idiot who leaves her bag on the porch. Got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. Alabama's pretty proud of their stop signs! Ugh. I feel like a real boob.

But, on the upside, the officer was very nice and didn't have a Robocop complex, which I appreciated tremendously. We picked out movies from the store and made it home without further incident. AND, there are two tidy, clean vehicles in the front yard. We did more, but the pork chops are about done, so I'll blog later, when the kidlets are asleep.

Dy

13 comments:

melissa said...

Well crap. But seriously, you shoulda' seen it coming. You had the house clean AND both vehicles?? C'mon....somethin' was bound to happen!

Poor thing. And no Zorak at home to sympathize.I'm so sorry. Good job handling it. Tomorrow will be better!

H said...

Oh no! What a no-good way to start your day!

At least you got a blog entry out of it.

Jules said...

Isn't that the worst? I got pulled over once with the kids in the van and Samantha was practically in tears. The boys kept asking if I was going to get arrested! ;)

Oh well. Chalk one up for experience and remember that those stop signs with the white border are optional. ;) I hope your ticket doesn't cost too much!

Meliss said...

Awwww! I'm sorry. At least the kids had an "educational experience" and got to see law enforcement doing its job up close and personal.

I'm going to take your post as a kick in the pants to dig in my van and make sure I can locate the paperwork.

Dy said...

Melissa, no sympathy from Zorak. The first thing he said was, "Is this your first moving violation? How many points do you have?" I guess that's better than, "Way to go, dork," which could have just as easily have come over the phone lines. If something had to happen, though, I am EVER so grateful it didn't involve a trip to the ER. I'll take the ticket over that, anyday. LOL.

LOL, you're funny, Jules. You know, I *knew* that about the ones w/ the white borders... I haven't done a California stop in EONS, either. But I still should've known better. Lumps well-earned.

I thanked him, just the general, unspoken, "Thanks for not being a gung-ho yahoo" and he said, "Well, I hesitate to say 'you're welcome' because I realize I've probably just ruined your day." Thankfully, it wasn't a day spent close enough to the edge that that would push me over.

Dy

mere said...

Does this mean that you will get the pleasure of an online defensive driving course?! Tee hee...I can recommend one that isn't too awful. I'll send you a link to the one I took, if you like.

I'm very, very glad that your California stop didn't end up like mine did in November!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid Melissa's right, Dy. You just got too productive. ;)

So sorry! (((())))'s

Heidicrafts said...

On our Christmas 10-hour drive through farmland and small towns, my husband got pulled over for failing to dim his bright headlights as he entered town. The officer heading the other direction flashed his lights at us, but CHG didn't catch on until a couple of blocks later. CHG dimmed his brights then, but too late. The officer tailed us out of town and pulled us over.

We got off with a warning, even with out-of-state plates. And we gained a new joke, as Daddy grumbles about other cars with their brights, all in a good natured way.

As it happened in the evening, we had fun watching the family in the house back from the road where we were stopped. They were looking at us to see why we were pulled over, but also trying not to look like they were looking. We will be their mystery.

Anonymous said...

:-( about your ticket. At least you were a good example for the boys about respecting law enforcement officers. I always hate to see people pitching a hissy fit on the side of the road.
Rebel

Janet said...

At least he didn't find you as being 'deceased'. Right? Weren't you deceased for a while? Or was that here in AZ?

My kids would probably think I was going to jail too. And cry.

I think it's great that the boys were waving to him and the comentary, how funny!!

Melora said...

Are there really stop signs where they really just mean "yield," or are you guys being funny? I actually googled this, but didn't find anything.
Sorry about your ticket. I hope it wasn't too much. I was backseat driving for Ed today and mentioned that I'd be really unhappy if he got a speeding ticket and cost us $100, and he laughed at me & said it would be more than that. I didn't inquire further.

Thom said...

Oh, how CRUMMY! At least the kids weren't too freaked out by it. Thank goodness for the polite policeman.

I think I'll just run outside and see if I can find my registration---been a while since I've seen that thing!

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

Much love though
James the Po-leeceman