Monday, January 22

...chatting

Well, you know, the problem with making the blogrun, answering the phone, and chatting before actually blogging is that I get all my chatting done, and then, well, I'm done.

Tonight I've read about and discussed (both online and in person) Clinton's announcement, "universal healthcare", the rising price of corn and it's impact in Mexico, Roe V. Wade, knitting, the joys of little boys and winter snowstorms, precious babies, weird years, The Weather Channel's Heidi Cullen, the absolute heart-pounding glee of discovering a reluctant reader curled up quietly enjoying a book sans prompting (!!!), how completely and utterly children nestle themselves into our hearts, a friend's return "home" after a prolonged time away, how to help more and be better at the things we do, whether we have an obligation to do so, Murray's article on education and intelligence (Steph, I started to comment, got carried away and shelved it - will probably blog on that this week, though).


~~~ Insert Time Warp ~~~

OK, I'd planned to link to a selection of news stories on each of these topics, from a few perspectives, but I got lost here, and now it's after midnight. But that's a truly fascinating site!

And so, now I'm *really* done and ready to collapse. So, rather than links or kibbitzing, I'll just show you what we did for fun after lunch today. The boys love word games. The other day, Zorak drew a rocket and a baby head, and asked the boys what it was. (Anybody know? I'll answer in the comments.) Today, they wanted to do more. So we did "Birds". How many "birds" can you find in this photo? (Some of them are horribly obscure, but we were in the Zone already, and there was no going back. And I apologize now for one of them. I think you must be a little boy, or have been a little boy, to get it.)



Oh, and the thing in the bottom left - not a bird. It's a Mario Kart thing. And the road w/ the box? It's a question: what's in the box? (look carefully)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

16 comments:

Dy said...

(It was "Rock-a-Bye Baby" - rocket by baby. The boys got a good giggle out of that.)

J-Lynn said...

Remember that game show where they used to use pictographs? Did I just make that term up? LOL

Cool! I guessed right but I won't spoil it for the others!

J-Lynn said...

OK - I'm a dolt and was looking for hidden birds...LOL I got SOME of the answers right but not all of them at all. Your boys are smart, smart, smart Dy! And Zorak is creative as heck!

Anonymous said...

Is that a toilet with a smelly deposit?

Anonymous said...

Can you link to the Murray article online? I read the first part in my WSJ, but didn't catch the others when they came out, and the papers have gone on to other uses.
There was another article on that Revolution site in the WSJ this morning, assuming you have access to their articles online or in print.

Dy said...

Jennie C., it's a bird. But you have to really stretch to get that one. (If you click on the image, it'll open it in a screen by itself, then click on it to make it larger. That may help. The "deposit" has a specific shape.)

Melora, I don't know how to make links in the comments section, but here are the URLs for the articles:
Part I -
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110009531

Part II -
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110009535

Part III -
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110009541

mere said...

The Boys noticed the toilet immediately. From across the room.

I got one of the pictures...We will have to ruminate on this today. Are you going to post the answers?

Dy said...

Yeah, I'll post them tomorrow. :-) (That toilet one is the one I was apologizing for pre-emptively. Obviously, we're not terribly strict about off-color humor around here.)

Dy

Anonymous said...

Birds? How can you look for birds at a time like this?

HILLARY CLINTON HAS ANNOUNCED SHE'S GOING TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT.

Man the barricades. Alert the militias. Burn the children's homeschooling records and prepare for the Underground Resistance. This is as good as a formal declaration of war.

Needleroozer said...

Too funny. THe comments have been hilarious- Ernie, you just had to make me spew my tea, didn't ya?
Dy, mising you and hoping to get a chance to chat with you soon. Today is E's bday, and we are off to science center and fabric store- her mama's girl, ain't she?!
Hugs and misses,
LB

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting those sites! I only got to skim the second one so far, but they are interesting (not that I entirely agree with him, but they do tend to make one feel less guilty about having had to close out those college savings accounts!).

Anonymous said...

Dy, This is why we should talk on the phone more often. The subject matter that I sputter on about is so simplistic , that I am quite certain that you have no trouble at all blogging about the heavier political matters of the day. You guys NEED friends like me........I keep you balanced!

WHat a bunch of smarty's!

Deb said...

Dy,

I too have been thinking about the Murray articles. I have posted about them on my web site here:

http://kidsoutandabout.com/main-articles/BrainFoodIntelligence.html.

It's more intelligently stated there, but in general my feeling is he's WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Thought you might be interested.

Deb Ross
Rochester, NY

P.S. Yours is the best homeschooling blog around. Anywhere. Much better than mine.

Dy said...

Deb, thank you for linking to your article in response to Murray's. I tend to agree with him in much of what he has to say, and enjoyed reading your thoughts on the value and scale of Intelligence. I love good discussions that offer food for the mental table!

I should, uh, probably write more about homeschooling if this is going to be called a homeschooling blog... *cringe* But regardless, I'm glad you enjoy visiting. I hope you'll come and chat again. :-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

The only one I can get is bluejay. And maybe killdeer? C'mon; please tell us? Pretty please?

GrammaMack

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found your blog from TWTM site and really enjoy it.
I just had to post and say I love the deer in the crosshairs - looks like the stuff my kids draw.
Nan