Thursday, January 11

Oops, little time warp, there

I started to write up all the book lists I've collected and seem to hoard with a stunningly dragon-like enthusiasm, so we'd have them in one place (as opposed to my current system, which, it would seem, isn't working out so well). That was around one this afternoon... aaaaand, now it's after eleven.

Did you know there's a lot of neat stuff I've got bookmarked that I never, ever go look at? What do I bookmark it for? And why don't I *use* the bookmarks? We should have an official "List Your Bookmarks Day" sometime next week. I'll bet there are some real gems hidden away that we've clicked on, saved for later, and promptly forgot about.

In the meantime, somebody at the WTM boards posted a link today for "68 Nature-Oriented Things To Do During Winter". What fun! I'm printing this out tonight, and go through it this weekend. I'll bet there's a delightful few ideas the boys will love.

I'll also get around to putting a good list together sometime this weekend. But in the meantime, if you're looking for some new reading ideas, check out the Baldwin Project's Children's Literature Project. (It's less overwhelming than trying to find something in the entire Baldwin Project, and you have the option to print your selection, or purchase a it through Yesterday's Classics.) Good stuff. James is reading Ways of Wood Folk right now, and we're enjoying it so much. I would love, love, love to buy these books, but for now, I'm putting the printer to good use.

Also, Mere mentioned World Wide School. I blew several hours there today. Really neat stuff, and I love the way it's organized. (And that was another site that turned out to be in my favorites already, but it's been so long since I looked in there that I didn't even recognize the url!) And Mere, it's funny you should mention Long. He also wrote the one we've been reading this week! We're enjoying it tremendously, and I can't wait to read more!

Funny that so many of us are in between read alouds right now. It's a like a collective pause in the universal reading rhythm.

Well, I hung in there quite well until Smidge's last request for a little Squirrel Nutkin. That did me in. Hillary thinks there is some kind of sedative in Potter's works. I'm inclined to agree. I'll bet if you dug through Old English spell books, you'd find the sleeping spells were all written down as children's bedtime stories. Yep, pretty sure of it.

And so, good night.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"List your bookmarks" What a neat idea! I'm going to go do that today.
Rebel

mere said...

Oh! I love that nature site, and it is now in my Flora and Fauna bookmarks. We took a nature walk yesterday and the boys brought home lichen covered sticks, and now we have a place to get info! I'm sure we will eventually make our way throuh all of the Long books. They're so beautifully written.

Yes, Miss Potters books have a lovely "soporific" effect,much like lettuces that the Flopsy bunnies ate.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! I love the Baldwin Project site!!! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment last night, but I got lost in your great links and never emerged! So I'll return to tell you thanks for the bookmarks.

Needleroozer said...

Loved the world wide school site. I am a huge Baldwin fan, and have ordered several books from Yesterday's Classics- did you know that they don't print them till you order them? THe kids love that.
Will try to post some links soon. I haven't been looking at much regarding school- it's all been about fiber art for me lately.
LB