Tuesday, January 16

In twenty years,

I hope to be sitting at the banquet table for the wedding of one of my children. I can see it now... Everyone gathered together, all decked out in their wedding garments, surrounded by the people and things that make them happy, the band playing uplifting music... ah, it will be lovely.

And Zorak and I are going to sit there, beaming on the inside, and...

bicker.

That's right. We're going to touch each other's plates, and whine about it. He's going to swing his leg and kick *my* chair. Repeatedly. Ignoring all warnings. One of us will keep moving, and the other one will get up and FOLLOW, plate and all. And right in the middle of each toast, one of us will shout, "Would you stop TOUCHING ME!"

And that will be just the beginning, because by that time, I'm sure there will be payback galore built up from these four, and it's going to take some ingenuity on our part, but I'm pretty sure we will be able to cram all of it into the wedding festivities. Oh, yes. We're gonna party like somebody else is footin' the bill, folks!

OK.

Probably not. Truthfully, I am deeply grateful that neither of our parents did that at our wedding. Whooeee, that would've been one humdinger of a spectacle (we had a lot of payback coming from our raisings). And I guess that's the thing about parenting. You remind your children of a thousand rules of behavior a thousand times over: do not kick your brother's chair; do not put your fingers in someone else's food; do not get up and follow someone who has just stood, demanded in no uncertain terms that you leave him alone, and stormed off (actually, you may want to cover that one a few extra times - could save a life some day). And still, five years down the road, you find yourself tensing up, bracing yourself for combat because you *know* you're going to have to say it 1,001 times. Or more. And you dream of the day you can start a food fight at your son's promotion party. Or play frisbee with lunchmeats at your daughter's college graduation. Or pick a brawl at the wedding...

But when the time comes, those thousand and one (or million and one) reminders have kicked in and done their job. You've done your job. And suddenly, you realize you don't want to ruin it. You've spent all these years helping them learn not to ruin it for themselves... you want to sit back, wallow it in, think up new things to worry about, and love them. Just like you've loved them through everything.

I will probably look at Zorak, though, and smile mischeviously when he whispers, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" (Because I never am, and we both know that, but at that point, we may just be...)

But just to be on the safe side, don't sit near us at the wedding, ok?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Thanks for the much needed afternoon laugh.

mere said...

Yep. I can't wait for the grandchildren to do exactly what my kids do now. But acting up at their weddings sounds pretty good too.

mere

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dy, why wait? Every once in a while, Daddybird and I will be sitting in the front seat of the car, and he will turn to me and say, in a high-pitched whine, "You're on MY side!" To which I respond, "Nunh, UNH. Kids, make him SSSTOOOOOP!" We sometimes follow this up with a jolly round of "Am not!" "Are too!" before the grand finale in which we burst into loud wailing and crocodile tears.

It's so much fun being the grown ups, isn't it!

(wink)
Mamabird

Anonymous said...

Dy,

This morning when I asked our teenage daughter if she wanted an egg for breakfast, she replied, "Yes, please."

It struck me odd this morning, and I thought to myself, "Wow, how did that happen? It's been years since we last went over that whole 'yes, please' thing and yet, here she is still doing it. I guess this whole parenting thing works."

And then I breathed a sigh of relief.

After reading your post, I found out that I should have wallowed in it. :-)

Today's post belongs on your "best of Dy" list. Kudos.

Tammy

Anonymous said...

After the past two days of awful behavior from my kids, I was about ready to sell one of them to the circus. (Come see the amazing nosepicker!)

Good to read that other people (better people) are also driven crazy by their young uns.

I'll be glad when warm weather arrives and they can drive me crazy from out in the yard.

Amy said...

Just yesterday during one of MB's whines about how life was so unfair because she had to *gasp* read to me - I screwed up my face and fell to the floor in a heap and started whining back to her about how 'unfair' my life is. We got a good belly laugh about it - and then she looked at me and asked "do I really sound like that?" And, since, she has yet to gear up into a good whine. I am sure she will - but at least I've gotten 24 hours & a laugh out of the deal.

Amy

Thom said...

I SO agree with Tammy--this should go in the "Best of Dy" compilation.

You really have a way of putting it all in perspective. I love coming here!!! :0)

J-Lynn said...

ROFL Dy - just don't put me at your table - I'm sure 2 bickering couples would really not be cute.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Emily!

Hugs...