Wednesday, January 3

What A Day

Two recipe disasters in a row! I'm on a roll.

Thought it'd be nice to have fresh potato bread to go with supper tonight, so I whipped up a full-size batch of the stuff, then split the liquid in half and made one loaf w/ wheat flour and one loaf wf. Really, it looks beautiful. It has that delightful potato bread texture, and it smells delicious. Unfortunately, my bright idea to leave the skins on, well, wasn't quite so bright. Just for future reference, the skins don't bake up so nicely in bread. They don't affect the taste adversely, but they produce these awful, shiny dark spots in the bread. It's not a healthy sheen, at all, and it took me a bit to figure out what those nasty spots were. *shudder* Oh, well, perhaps they'll toast up okay. A little peanut butter and honey can cover a multitude of baking sins.

Most of us still feel like hammered dog poop, so we aren't setting the world on fire at the moment. The house gets tidied, the linens get washed, and that fairly wears me out. In spite of that, though, we're managing to do school pretty well. We're hitting about 95% each day, and are rotating the 5% we don't manage to get. So far, we're ahead of my beloved schedule by a full two days, though, even factoring in the stray 5%.

Zorak called this morning to ask if I'd been out to the road yet. (I hadn't.) He informed me we need a new mailbox. *sigh* I had forgotten about the joys of drunk teenagers on a dull winter evening, particularly out in the boonies. I guess there's just not much to do but vandalize mailboxes while you're waiting for your buddy with the ID to get more beer. Well, I hope they enjoy the concrete reinforced one we'll be putting up. There were Christmas cards strewn on the roadside, crumpled, wet, and dirty. That torqued me off pretty badly. Not to mention, mailboxes have gone up in price quite a bit! Oy!

Tomorrow we've got to get to the library. We won't be heading in to share the crud, but we do need to slip some books into the box and then run before they catch us. It's been a while since we've all been healthy enough to leave, and Zorak doesn't go into the town with the library, so the books are very, very delinquent. The library will be glad to have their books back, and I will be glad to be back on non-compounding terms with my late fees.

And really, that's about all I've got the stamina to put together. Some days are stellar, and some days... well, the prepare you to fully enjoy the stellar days. Today was a prep day. But that's okay, maybe tomorrow will be stellar!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in the city limits and are still a regular target for mailbox baseball. Somehow, though, because ours is on the same post as our neighbor, they just can't get it - it just gets routinely dented instead.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are all feeling better than dog poop soon. :)

OOOooh the mailbox damage is bad enough, but ruining Christmas cards! I'm sorry you have something to fix now that you weren't counting on.

I just made a dreaded library trip this week to pay my $9 in fines if that makes you feel any better.

I'm glad I can see your blog now!!!

Bob and Claire said...

Oooh, that is a bummer about the Christmas cards. Grr. I hope your next mailbox really holds its own against teenage boys. I am so impressed that you are doing 95% of your schoolday, even with you all not feeling totally great! We just had our first day back today, and I would say it was probably 65%, LOL. We're easing back into it . . . baby steps. : )

Anonymous said...

We have the mailbox smashers here too. What is with that? I don't see the fun.

At our old house Derick finally mounted our mailboxes between two telephone poles he had cut down to size. There was not way anyone was going to take a swing at that without actually stopping the car and coming straight down from the top. It worked for use but old telephone poles aren't easy to come by.

Good luck!