Tuesday, January 9

The Substitute

Ah, I'd forgotten just how unruly children can be for the substitute teacher. Even when it's Dad. He so doesn't get paid enough for this subbing gig, but thankfully, he does it for the love of the job. And the bene's.

So, Zorak subbed for me today while I went to the dentist (yes, again), then he ran interference and let me heal during the afternoon. He cooked a scrumptious baked chicken supper with steamed yellow squash. Smidge made mashed potatoes - and he was so proud of them that he ate three servings! Of course, John barely touched them. I don't know if the tater ban on his part was related to concerns over Smidge's hygienic levels in the kitchen, or if he just wasn't up for potatoes. He did praise Smidge's efforts, though, and so, I really don't mind. Be kind. Be helpful. You're good-to-go.

We had a really nice day, all things considered. John got over whatever demonic possession had caused him to spend three hours this morning swearing he couldn't write numerals 1-100 (WTH??? Thankfully, Zorak did not buy that load, not even for a buck.) James let us help him with his latest jigsaw puzzle. Baby Girl practiced standing without holding on to things. And has perfected landing without hurting herself. Smidge worked on attaining his goals. (Today's goal: to perch atop my head while I laid on the couch and whimpered.)

And suddenly, it's eleven o'clock. Wow. That was fast.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is Doc no longer on your blogroll?
And you no longer on hers?

Dy said...

Hi curious,
I don't know why I'm not on Doc's sidebar anymore.

Her blog's never been in my sidebar. It may have been on a similar blog that you found it before. I'm sorry I can't be more help on that one.

Dy

Laura said...

Oh, I can soooo feel your dental pain! David and I have to go tomorrow morning and it's my first time in about thirty years to have to have something *Done* - other than cleaning. (I have to have a filling replaced - sticky candies + old filling = drill & replace filling. EEEeek!)

Anonymous said...

Poor you. I hope you are feeling more the thing today! Sounds like Zorak is a good cook -- baked chicken & squash -- yummy!
I have to say that I found John's performance funny, only because I have just had two days of the same silliness. I don't know what goes on in their funny little heads sometimes.
Good for Em! Proper falling technique is very important.

Anonymous said...

When Gonzo was about three or four, he told us that he liked potatoes. So we made some that evening's meal. He looked at them on his plate and declared, "Not as FOOD."

So I guess it was just some sort of a business relationship.

Dy said...

Oh, Heidi, that made me laugh! I would love to know what their minds look like from the inside! What a cutie.

Melora, yeah... silliness. That's one word for it. ;-) Zorak is an awesome cook. It's one of the things I find so irresistable about him. (Thankfully, he didn't have the same criteria when we met.)

Laura, {{hugs}} I hope you have a wonderful, gentle dentist. And you had a good, long streak between work - that's a good sign!

Dy

J-Lynn said...

LOL!

I'm so proud of Zorak for knowing better. I'm not sure what Geo would do honestly. I'd like to think he could see through the kids ploys but honestly he may make up a story about a "work fairy" that needs to come into their brains and inspire them...rofl