Sunday, January 21

Post-Birthday Day

We had a lovely time Sunday, Officially Observing EmBaby's Birthday. There's just something special about your first introduction to Flaming Food! She warmed up to it after the boys blew out the candle for her.


In keeping with The Nature of Things, Zorak and I aren't strong on the "planning" aspect of things, or rather, the "coordinating" part, but we have friends who are gracious about it. I had to use my "Get Out of Hostess Jail Free" card, because Zorak told our guests to arrive a full hour and a half earlier than I'd said I could have everything ready. (Honest misunderstanding. I think.) But then, they called two hours before *that* time to say they were on their way. Oy! Well, folks, at that point, you're just not going to get the full presentation. I need a shower, so make yourself comfortable. Drinks are in the fridge. Probably some snacks in there, too. We visited, we cooked, we ate.


I experimented a bit in the kitchen, which I probably should not ever do in front of others. I hope they forgive me. The lasagna (not an experiment) turned out great. The breadsticks (not normally an experiment, but we'd thrown together a new batch of French Bread mix and it turned out, well, not so much). They were kinda gummy. Well, that's embarrassing. Salad - yeah, I'd have to work pretty hard to botch a salad. It was good.


The Namaste cake turned out lovely, as usual (I love Namaste!) I tried my hand at making my first-ever poured icing. Um... huh. Well, at least I know what to do differently next time! I let it get too warm, so it didn't adhere well to the sides, as you can see. And, as you can see, the boys didn't care one whit what it looked like. I love these ages.


And now, the kitchen is clean, the children are detoxed (detoxing... it's a process), and it's back to our regularly scheduled programming. I will leave you with gratuitous first birthday cake photos.

"Are you seriously putting that on my tray?"


"MMM! Have you tried the stuff on top of this thing? MMM!"


"OH! You mean like this!"


Kiss those sweet, sticky babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

J-Lynn said...

The cake picture with the boys is SO sweet! And she looks like she thinks you guys are crazy bringing a flaming cake...LOL Looks like she enjoyed it though! Glad you have guests that understand!
I can't believe she's 1 already!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! I'm glad you all had a wonderful day in spite of the "misunderstandings"!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I love the way she moves from "highly skeptical" to "enjoying with great gusto." John looks so proud to be the "cake holder."

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, BabyEm!

Dy, you have the sweetest bunch of babies! Such handsome brothers that beautiful little girl has!

Crissy

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday, Emily!!!! She is sooooo cute!

Bethany

mere said...

Too Cute! Looks like everyone had a great time!

Emily is adorable!

mere

Amber said...

Ah, I love it! There is nothing like that moment where the baby goes - "Whoa, that's for me? Really? Wow!" They may not be able to talk much (if at all!) but it is one of those moments when you know exactly what they are thinking!

Thanks for sharing the pics, it looks like it was a great day.