Wednesday, January 17

What A Year!

A year ago, our family grew by one. A girl. Our sweet BabyGirl. Oh. My. Word. She was so tiny. So precious. So new. And she has been busy!



In the last year, Miss Emily has done quite a lot. For starters, she's tripled her birth weight. That's quite a feat! (The boys are envious.)

She's dropped the "Miss" portion of her name. And the "Emily" part. She answers mostly to "BabyGirl", now. Much as we've done with Smidge, I imagine we'll have to start calling her by her proper name at some point. But right now, "BabyGirl" just fits so beautifully.

She developed a healthy sense of humor straight off. It's served her well so far. (She may actually think this is a joke, and is waiting for her real family to come get her... any day now... waiting...)

She's wrapped more than one person around her wee, pudgy fingers with those eyes, and that giggle, and those cheeks...

She's known love, and warmth, and comfort. No matter where we've gone.

She entered the covenant family of believers, and inherited more family than she knows.

She spent the summer being quite the little hostess, gettin' tips from Granny on all the good things in life.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Once she outgrew the bouncy seat, she discovered the joys of alternative transportation! *beep* *beep*
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Before long, BabyGirl was ready to see the world. Well, Florida, anyway. What fun! (And that hat? That is inter-generational payback. She will hate this photo one day, and I will think it's the sweetest thing ever. And I have three Grandmas from the boat trip who'll back me up.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


She's become a daring eater. This will not be her only taste of sushi, I'm sure.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


She figured out what's behind those pesky zippers on the diaper bag. (And how cupboards work, where the pots are hid, the best place in the boys' closet to hide, and all the good spots for snuggling!)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And a lot of the time, she just sat in awe of her beautiful world.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And we sat in awe, seeing the world through her beautiful eyes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Happy First Birthday, Sweet BabyGirl! You've changed our home in so many ways, all of them good. You've brought us joy, and delight, and wonder. Just when we thought our lives couldn't be any more full, you came along. We love you, BabyGirl!

*(That lovely white dress up at the top? It's a gift from her birthday buddy, sweet S. J.. Thank you, Mere! She loves her special dress! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SARAH JANE!!)

Happy Baby Kisses All Around!
~Dy

26 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Wow! Did that go by fast or what!? I cannot believe how beautiful she has become, and how much she looks like Smidge!
Kisses and hugs to sweet Baby GIrl!
LB and crew

L said...

Happy first birthday to beautiful Sweet BabyGirl!

Does not seem like a year already...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Emily. I can't believe I have been reading your blog for over a year now. They grow way too fast, my Babygirl is graduating from high school this year, my middle child is 15, almost 16 and my baby is 8. Time really flies. I love the pictures. Enjoy every precious second with her

Anonymous said...

A year old already?! She is a most beautiful baby! Give her a happy birthday hug from me, with a nice cheek snuzzle!

G. said...

She's adorable. I absolutely love the picture of her looking up.
She reminds me of James in that last picture.
Happy Birthday to Miss Emily!

mere said...

Happy Birthday Emily! We hope you have a wonderful year full of joy love and grace!

Sarah Jane & Co.

Anonymous said...

Aww! What a beautiful baby! I love how those eyes seem to twinkle with merriment in every picture--at least when she has them opened. Happy birthday, Baby Girl!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday to darling BabyGirl! And the years do just fly by, don't they?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Baby Girl! What wonderful pictures of your sweet daughter with her sparkling blue eyes! She is beautiful.

Don't you enjoy having one girl among your boys! The sense of humor describes our daughter too. She thinks her brothers' good-natured teasing is hilarious, and she entertains them in return with her antics.

Thank you for the wealth of comments on my sparse blogging... My Grandma's chair stayed nice through a combination of careful use (Another example: They were the kind of people that didn't sit on their bed so that it would last longer.) and my Grandpa's refinishing.

Thanks again for sharing your tribute in pictures to Baby Girl's first year of life!

Anonymous said...

Oohhh! That was beautiful, and what a lovely record you've made of Emily's first year! I can hardly believe it Has been a year -- wow! I'm so impressed that she would wear that bonnet, as neither of mine would tolerate hats. It is adorable!

Amy said...

Oh my, she is a beautiful thing.

Happy Birthday, Miss Emily! And many happy returns!

Anonymous said...

Miss Emily is one of the prettiest babies I've ever seen. That was such a sweet post and it makes me want to run and squeeze my own sweet wee ones.

Happy Birthday!

Bob and Claire said...

Happy birthday, Emily! What absolutely beautiful pictures. A year goes by so quickly . . .

We call Anna "BabyGirl" as well! It must be a thing for little girls who come after lots of boys! : )nm

J-Lynn said...

I *still* call Belle "babygirl" and sometimes Lyssi too. :-)

I LOVEEEEEE that last photo of her especially! She is gorgeous, I can not wait to hold her! I can't wait to hug all of them...

Hugs,
Jess

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Emily! You are beautiful, and so lucky to have been born into such a wonderful family! Dy, those smiles are precious. I particularly like the photo of her in the white bonnet, and also the one of her gazing at the sky. Congratulations on your one-year-old getting-bigger-one!

Donna Boucher said...

Happy Birthday to dear sweet Emily!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear sweet babygirl! Oh that post did bring a tear to my eye, and a tug at my heart. I'll definitely hug my littles a wee bit tighter tonight.
The pictures are just precious, she is such a pretty baby, and that one of her looking at the sky is the best.
love dawn

Anonymous said...

*snifff* Good post :). Happy Birthday Babygirl!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! That birthday dress is sooooo beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Happy First Birthday Baby Girl! Those are some beautiful pictures. I love the sun hat :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BabyGirl! And here your Mama was scared to death of having a girl. I knew you were just what she needed :-)

XOXO Heather

Amber said...

What great pictures, thank you! It is amazing how fast a year goes, isn't it. She is such an adorable little girl - and so photogenic! Happy (belated!) birthday to a wonderful little girl!

Anonymous said...

OH good grief I'm blubbering. Happy, happy birthday Emily (and Mom) and I pray you'll be as loved and cherished all the rest of your years as you have been this year.

I cannot get over how big she's gotten - I was just packing those itty bitty outfits?! It goes so quickly.

Laney said...

Oh, she is just so beautiful I can't stand it!

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl!

Anonymous said...

One happy, beautiful girl indeed.
Thanks for sharing your birthday smile with us, Emily.

Love, Verena

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh. She is darling! Her cheeks are just begging to be squeezed! The picture of her sleeping is just too cute!

I think your blog should be called Cute Overload for the day! ;)