Monday, January 8

A Look at our... well, our bread

I'd hoped to do a day-in-pictures, but we hit the ground running. And it's hard to find the camera when you're runing.

We've had a lovely morning. We enjoyed our Bible studies and Latin before breakfast, which was nice (and thus, buys me and the boys a little break just before lunch!) We did a lot of work on the Latin today, and they're doing so well. James is thrilled to be translating "real sentences" (simple subject-verb sentences), but he gets it and is flying through. John gets the concept, but hasn't really put as much into memorizing his vocabulary work as he ought. Well, no beating ourselves with the Oughts, we'll just remedy that, starting now.

Then it was on to breakfast, which this morning was a bit light on the protein (and we'll pay for it this afternoon, if I don't fix the deficiency at lunch!) But, oh, was it good. I took horrible liberties last night with KathyJo's quinoa bread recipe, and it survived surprisingly well. So this morning, I mangled it a bit further to make a breakfast bread, and it turned out *spectacularly*, if I do say so myself. (But I didn't have to - the boys and EmBaby said it after the first taste!)

The loaf itself does form up nicely, and it looks like any regular banana bread you might be given by a loved one, or a zucchini bread in August, by someone who secretely loathes you. I suspect the difference in the texture is the teff flour. I used it in both batches, and both batches came out with a wonderful texture and good heft. (Yes, that is the ever-so-faint outline of a hand print on the top. I have helpers. It's like living with enthusiastic gnomes.)



It was difficult to cut. Not because of the bread, but because I didn't want to see what was inside. (Sometimes the scars are on the inside, you know.) But we cut it...



Look at that - no goop!

And the best part? It looks like that all the way to the middle! This is a completely goop-free loaf of bread.



Another first for my normal sized loaves. (9x5 pan!) WAHOO! I've never had success like this outside of BRM GF Bread Mix. Ever. (If I were a crier, this would be where I cried. As it stands, I did get a little sniffly.)

So, I washed my hands and we ate up! DELICIOUS! The boys all ate four slices a piece. EmBaby ate two full slices. Served slathered with butter, sides of fresh fruit, cheese (next time, we'll serve cheese), and glasses of cold milk, it's a delightful breakfast.

And then, it was back to the grindstone!



Here's the recipe, in case anyone needs a good gluten-free breakfast loaf. (It would toast up nicely, as well!)

LIQUIDS:
1 c. fruit yogurt (any flavor - we used blueberry)
1/2 c. water
1 Tbsp. mayo
2 Tbsp. honey
2 eggs (room temp!)

DRY:
2 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
scant 1/4 c. sugar (optional - play with it to taste)
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 Tbsp. powdered milk
1 tsp. yeast (for flavor)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. teff flour
2 c. bean flour blend

Pre-heat oven to 375'

Use mixer to beat together liquid ingredients in large bowl. Beat 'em til they're creamy and frothy. In another bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add combined dry ingredients to liquids, a little at a time, incorporating well as you go. Beat thoroughly.

Pour into a greased loaf pan, use the back of a spatula to smooth the top. Bake for 10 min. Cover with foil, and bake for another 55-60 min.

(Loaf is done when bottom sounds hollow when tapped. If it's not done, just throw it back in for another 15 or so.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAHOO! It is greta to see you and Kathy Jo produce such great looking GF bread!! WTG! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Dy,

Thanks for posting another gf recipe! I did try the sugar cookies and my entire family ate them :) I also bravely tried to adapt your recipe for molasses ginger cookies and it worked wonderfully. I still have to get used to the bean flour "smell" that seems to bother me alittle(as in "are these really going to taste okay"). I'm sure it's just adapting to gf.

Thanks again.
karen J

Dy said...

Karen, I'm so glad they worked out and you all enjoyed them! Yay! Thank you for posting back and letting me know - that's great news. If you play around with things and come up with anything new, please let me know and we'll share it around!

Dy

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, that is indeed a fine-looking loaf of GF bread! And it tasted good too--how wonderful! One of our dear friends is allergic to gluten, so maybe I will try this for them. I'm always looking for new things I can make that he can have! : )

Anonymous said...

O.K, O.K, I'm just catching up here. .....reading past posts and whatnot.....and yeah, yeah, the bread looks amazing....but....there was a whole post....and comments and everything...about...moi??? Why was I not informed, so that I could revel in that moment of glory? BTW, you can call me Carley Bobby if you want too.

I loved the pictures of the kids. I can't believe how much Smidge reminds me of John. What beautiful kids, Dy.

I owe you a call, girl!

Dy said...

;-) I was wondering if you were going to chime in on that. I couldn't call you Carley Bobby, though. I like you too much, and her? I just wanted to slap her. BTW, Zorak thinks you need to get a GI Joe head to paste on Race's pictures. Not the namby-pamby GI Joe, either, the 1960's 12" Joe. Or maybe the Adventure Team one from the early '70's w/ the cool beard and flocked hair.

Claire, these are easy to make. I would actually serve these at a church function and not feel the need to add a disclaimer. You might also want to check out KathyJo's Flourless Cake. Mmmmm. Decadence in gluten-free glory!

Dy

Anonymous said...

What nice looking bread! I'm trying to get us off to an earlier start with school, but T. is too much my kid to be able to manage Bible study and Latin before breakfast. And, of course, I'm too much of a slug to get fresh bread made for breakfast (lunch most days, but not breakfast!). I showed T. your picture, so he could see what a Healthy breakfast looks like.

Anonymous said...

It was a bready day here too - I kept the oven and the Zo busy, busy.

It's practically gone already though. I hope Kathy Jo masters the regenerating loaf soon. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is some gorgeous bread. There's something about baking bread that makes me feel like such a good mom. Even if we don't do a darn thing for the rest of the day, there's a little of the Ma Ingalls about it that just feels great!

Thom said...

That is one fine lookin' piece of bread! Kudos to you (and Kathy Jo,too!) for the fine work. Baking has never been my speci-AHL-ity,but that lovely, golden loaf has inspired me to give it another go. Here's to successful baking!!!