Wednesday, January 31

Books

Yesterday, as a treat for surviving my LAST trip to (this) dentist, I stopped at the local bookstore to browse a bit. I've only been there three times, and every time, it's after a trip to the dentist. I'm pretty sure the owner is beginning to suspect I'm a stroke victim in utter denial, as it's always the left side of my face that doesn't work when I go in.

I picked up The Chamber of Secrets for James, and a Nate the Great book for John. Grabbed a couple of biographies. Passed on a few books that looked interesting, but upon further inspection seemed a little graphic for our guys. Chose The Indian in the Cupboard for our next read aloud.

Someone had recommend the Dragonriders of Pern series for James, so I did grab the first in that series (Lessa of Pern). Read it last night. Um... Not a good recommendation for an eight-year old. Perhaps I'm more conservative on the sex issues than I thought, but I don't think I'd recommend the Pern books for anybody under the age of, say 13. The writing is easy to follow. The vocabulary isn't terribly difficult. The plot seems to be your typical action-adventure-fantasy plot, along the lines of Terry Brooks (who is the only author I can remember off the top of my head). It would be great stuff, if it weren't for little bits here and there that leave images a bit too graphic for such an age, at least for my children. (It's not the mating, or the multiple women in a Hold, or even that the Weyrwoman sleeps with the rider of whichever dragon her queen dragon has mated with this time. Those, we could handle comfortably. Some, we already have.)

At first, I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with pre-reading books for James. The child is voracious in his reading. However, it seems that, at least for a while, I'll have to. Not such a bad arrangement, really, as I get to enjoy a wider variety of books than I would probably choose for myself. I'd kind of like to see if they've got the next book in the series. ;-)

Another great option this bookstore offers is that they'll order new books. WOOHOO! I hate going to the big chain stores, as they never have what I need, and then I get distracted by the eye-candy and walk out w/o the things I needed. So, this will be handy. I can take my order list down, pay with a check, and then browse with a few bucks cash while they process my order. Doesn't that sound heavenly?

Haven't taken the boys in yet, as it doesn't seem too child-friendly (the signs are EVERYWHERE!) but as much as the boys love a good bookstore, we'll all be making a trek down soon. I think they'll do fine once the owners have a chance to observe them in action a few times. It's definitely no Bay Books, but I think we may have found our local vendor!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Melora said...

That sounds like such fun! It is definitely a worthy consolation for dental work (glad that's over, eh?). I haven't found a decent bookstore in our area yet, not that I should shop for books until I find some employment anyway. I could have told you that the Dragon books were iffy for an eight year old. I enjoyed them very much as a teenager (I think the series continued for years after I went off to college & quit reading it), but, as you say, some of the themes are not really appropriate for an eight year old. T. loves Harry! We enjoyed the video of The Indian in the Cupboard -- the book should be a great read-aloud!

J-Lynn said...

Oh we've never read "Indian in the Cupboard" but we do enjoy the movie, how fun! We're halfway through the first Potter book and enjoying it thoroughly. It's the first book everyone listens to and looks forward to the next night!

As for bookstores, I wouldn't trade Hastings for anywhere else. We only have tiny used bookstores and although child friendly, the owner won't leave you alone in the one I like. I don't mind being social and friendly but it gets invasive and downright annoying!
Hugs,
Jess

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Terry Pratchett books for kids? Bromeliad Trilogy, then there are a few kid ones in the DiscWorld series-Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Amazing Maurice.

Dy said...

Terry Pratchett - thank you! I could not, for the LIFE of me, remember that name the past two days. LOL. I'll check those out. Thank you.

Jess, we seem to be on a weird wavelength right now. Zorak keeps bringing home these really neat movies to watch... and they're all books I've got in mind to read first. But we watch them, anyway. We just saw "A Wrinkle in Time", which was great fun for the olders. (A little intense, so we waited for Smidge and Em to be down.) I do still hope to read the book, though. I'll bet it's just delightful.

Melora, yeah, I had an inkling. It was a fun read, though. Zipped me straight back to speech and debate tournaments in high school. :-D Ahhh, that's kinda sad, actually...

Dy

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the Pern books -- but I didn't start reading them til I was in college. I'd consider them YA at the very least. Of course, these days, it's hard to know. I can't believe some of what's sold as YA! I've seen Anne Bishop's books listed YA in our library system's online catalog and they are extremely sexual as well as very dark-themed. (one of my secret vices, dark fantasy and vampire literature)

Heidi said...

The third Wee Free Men/Tiffany Aching book is just out, Wintersmith. As the series progresses, Tiffany ages two years. I don't know if he'll stop at three books or not.

There is another Pratchet trio for kids, that I haven't read. Let me check... yep, it's the Bromeliad trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.

I listened to Wrinkle in Time as an adult, book on tape. I think I am too book-theme-wise, as I could see the secret from a mile away.

Time changes some things. That could be it. I had to explain to my daughter that when Curious George is sent into space, in the original Rey series, people hadn't landed on the moon yet. Now, it seem ordinary. When PBS updated that storyline for their show, they put George in a space shuttle instead.

Anonymous said...

If your son's into myths, there's The Sea of Trolls, by Nancy Farmer. Viking tale--trolls, Beowulf, Thor, all the usual Norse stuff. My son enjoyed it.