Monday, December 18

Someone Has Stolen My Husband

The doppleganger they've left in his place is a pretty good double, I admit. He can cook, and he can crack a mean joke alright. And I know he isn't a robot, because he still gets wiped out reading Little Golden Book Land stories to Smidge. (I think only machines are impervious to the mindnumbing drone, erm, lull of those books.)

But last night, this handsome fake blew his cover. Yesiree, I'm onto him! Without any provocation, begging, or, my usual specialty - blatant bribery, he brought the kids' Christmas gifts up from the basement, dug out special wrapping paper, and began gleefully wrapping the presents. I don't think I've ever seen him do anything Christmas related in a gleeful manner. Direct, yes. Gleeful, no.

I wanted a closer look, and so I slipped into the living room under the pretense of "helping" to wrap gifts. I wanted to keep a close eye on this one!

Well, I almost called 911 when I heard snip-snip, snip, and looked up to see him cutting shapes and designs from the wrapping paper to make cute little tags for each gift. And... he was smiling while he did it!

There've been other clues, too. Like the peanutbutter fudge. Oh yes, the Real Zorak doesn't usually eat my candies. But this Zorak bought more powdered sugar just so I could make more fudge. Mmhmm. You can't fool a wife! (Of course, I am going to make more fudge. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, here, folks.)

I don't know. This is really nice, but I do love my husband. I'd like him back.

But, well, maybe it can wait until after the holidays...

Kiss those babies! (And watch out for the Doppleganger Christmas Hubbies!)
~Dy



(P.S. ~ This isn't meant as a criticizm of my husband. It's meant to bring a smile. I'm actually thrilled to see Zorak enjoying Christmas preparations. He seems to settled, and so very into the magic this year. I love it. It's weird, but it's a good kind of weird. We usually focus on how good "where we are" is for the children, and just in general, but it's good for him, too. Good for us. It shows in a thousand little ways, a thousand unexpected delights. Like looking forward to Christmas.)

5 comments:

H said...

Oh, that's sweet! I have to admit that it'd surprise me also, to see a man think to make cute little gift tags!

And, on a completely unrelated topic, I saw this video this weekend and thought of you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsr_lOv7A3c

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas to all of you!

Anonymous said...

I think its wonderful! He probably finally feels at peace with everything. I mean he busted his butt going to school and has finally moved into his forever home with his family and the house is looking awesome! Just in case though keep an eye on him!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'd be wondering where the "real" hubby is hiding. Good for him for putting forth the effort and enjoying the holiday! Now get your hubby to call mine and clue him in ;-) My dh is too focused on work to worry about the rest of us.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Why the hell does blogger have that "Remember Me" button if it's not going to REMEMBER ME no matter how many times I click it?? Aargh!

Ahem. Anyway... :)

Heh heh. I'm not sure Ernie's ever wrapped a present for the boys in his life. But he normally does the shopping, so that's okay. And he actually didn't go overboard this year with his shopping, mainly because he decided everything in the store was crap. And he called me twice while he was out and I managed to talk him out of the Consumer Tree. :) They've got a good selection of stuff, but not all toys. Which is good because I don't think we have room for an "all toy" Christmas. In any case, I'm pleased, Ernie's pleased, and I think the boys will be pleased as well. 'Tis good.