Thursday, December 7

Blogger's Cramp

Not quite writer's cramp, as I could sit and write for days. But between the interruptions for food and clean clothing and all those other pesky details that keep things running smooth...

Wait.

A.

Darned.

Minute.

When did *I* become the one that keeps things running smoothly?

Whoa. That's a whole 'nuther issue there, isn't it? Anybody else torn between fits of riotous giggles at the mere thought of slipping into the Grown-Ups Club without ID, and the paralyzing fear that you're going to cut the red wire. Or the green wire. Whichever one ought not be cut. Yeah. Me, too. Gets me so worked up I can't keep my metaphors straight. ;-)

So yesterday I spent another three hours at the dentist. I actually kinda like our dentist now. I'm not afraid of dentists anymore. Not sure if that's because things can't get any worse, or because he's just very good, or because I've finally ditched one of those irrational fear things and decided to be a grown up about it. Whatever it is, this is nice. Not something I'd like to do on a regular basis. Um, anymore.

Tomorrow Santa pays us an early visit. Well, not Santa, actually. It's Very Cool HVAC Guy. You know, the one with the mojo. I love him. He brought us cool, refreshing air in the summer, and now he comes bearing the warm, soothing balm of fire. Mmmm. We'll have to cough up the rest of the money for the unit upon completion, but that's okay. Maybe we can pay him in dog.

The tree is up - it's a "'Picy Christmas Tree", according to Smidge. The boys found the red chili pepper lights and those just had to go on the tree. It's actually very pretty. Then James discovered his true calling, if the whole chemical engineering thing doesn't pan out - he spent all Tuesday evening and all Wednesday morning testing every. single. light. on two big strands of lights to find the bad ones. And he fixed them. So now, our tree is about 50# heavier than when we brought it home, and it's a good thing we went with new wiring in the house. You know, just in case. Merry Christmas, indeed.

We've Officially ditched lessons for the week. There's no sense in pretending and making everyone miserable. No kid learns when he's miserable. Well, not the things you're hoping he'll learn, anyway. So it's a week of preparation - focus on Advent, nature studies, reading old favorites and finding new ones. Baking. Lots and lots of baking. We'll continue with Latin studies, because those just slip right off stage left if you don't keep an eye on them. But the rest of it can sit on the back burner for a bit.

And, well, there ya go. Laundry's going. Kids are playing. Salsa music is blaring into the living room. Life is good, and it's time to put Baby Girl down for her nap. But I just wanted to touch base (I hate showing up at my favorite blogs *ahem* to find that there's no new conversation going on... *ahem*).

Kiss those babies! (And for those of you who needed the *ahem*, BLOG, would you? Thanks.) :-)

~Dy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, oh wise woman, please give me your beauty secret. Please tell me how you do all this wonderful baking and continue to stay beautiful and thin. Please impart words of wisdom to those of us who have packed on 5 lbs in the past month and a half. :-)

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, your school plans sound pretty much like mine--"keep up with Latin"! It's nice to have a relaxed month, I think. Hopefuly it will prevent burnout--in me, LOL.

Anonymous said...

we're off from lessons this week also. Everything except Grammar and math. We can't get much work done when we're trying to decorate, clean, and bake.

You know...now that I think about...I've got a blog post. LOL
You're a blog muse.



Sheila (too lazy to log in with her beta blogger account)

mere said...

Hint taken...Assuming mine is one of your favorite blogs.

Studies are on a break at our house, too, but for different reasons.

Have a good one!

Mere

Anonymous said...

I need to borrow James. We had to throw out about 6 strands of lights because nobody felt like checking what was bad on them.

Anonymous said...

I keep wondering how I officially got to be a 'grown up.' I swear I'm just a scared, insecure 16 yr old kid, and how in the world did I end up with 3 kids, a husband and a mortgage? Sheesh.

And I'd love to see a photo of your Christmas tree!

Jules said...

LOL!! I also wonder on a daily basis about how I got to be a "grown-up". I think back to when I had Samantha and I was sooo young! Yet at the time I thought I knew it all- I had the world by the tail. Now having another baby 8 years later I just look back at those early years of motherhood and laugh. I really knew nothing. at. all. :) It's amazing any of our kids survive isn't it?

L said...

Man! I have so much to write, but I can't find anything safe to put on the ol' blog: The girls and I are sneaking home for Christmas!! They want to pop by their best friends' house (their mom is in on the secret) and then hit the homeschool group's park day unannounced. We've been wrapping up school (summer vacation starts this coming Friday) and tennis tournaments and Christmas shopping and packing and oh, so much more, but I can't write about any of it without letting the cat out of the bag. I can't even post about how excited I am to have one night and most of one day to sightsee in Japan. AAAARGH!

Now that that's out of my system, I just thought, I can go post something about George's job offer in Papua New Guinea.

Thank you, Dy for your inspiration!

Meliss said...

I was so honored to get an *ahem* on my blog! :) I blogged several times today, but homeschoolblogger will be down tomorrow for maintenance.

You are the most consistent blogger that I know!

I can't imagine my grandmothers or my mother ever feeling as immature as I do at 38.