Thursday, December 21

ARGHHH.

So we were invited to supper with friends Saturday night. We were there about half an hour, the kids all playing together, when their precious little 2yo came toddling out, half-awake from a late nap. We had a nice supper, a good visit.

On the way home, Zorak says, "Well, be prepared, I guess."

"For what?"

"The little one has pink eye. Didn't you notice?"

"No. Oh, crap. I thought it was just sleep in her eyes."

"Nope. Pink eye."

Well, we've spent the week holding our collective breath. I really thought if anybody got it, it'd be Emily, since she played with the little one's toys most of the night, and she and the little one played together.

This morning, at a little after three, John comes to me, groggy and panic-stricken, his left eye matted completely shut.

*sigh*

We didn't need this. We really didn't. And after the Big Scary Eye Incident of '01, John's eyesight is the one thing that consistently gives me nightmares that will wake me with a jolt. I worry constantly.

And, if I'd been given a heads up, we'd have taken a raincheck. I don't mess with the eyes. The sniffles? Sure, what kid doesn't get the sniffles? Some of the nastier things? Maybe, depending. But pink eye? No. Would not have chosen to go. And would have been nice to have the choice.

*sigh*

Appointment with the doc at 9:30. Trip to the pharmacy after that, and then, rather than the market and the library, we'll be heading straight home.

ARGH.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuck! Pink eye is no fun especially with 4 kids. Sometimes it can be a domino effect one right after the other! To bad they didnt tell you before you came to dinner!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about poor John's eye! I hope the others don't get it. I think one of mine might have had pink eye once, but I don't remember it being all that serious (of course, my memory is terrible), but John's in 2001 must have been a severe case. Did the doctor give you antibiotics & peace of mind, I hope?

Anonymous said...

Oh ((((Honey)))). I'm SO sorry. You are much nicer and sweeter than I am, by far, but I'll tell you right now that unless those people had NO CLUE that their child had pinkeye (which makes them total morons), I would be pretty much hating their guts. But that's just me. This so ROYALLY stinks for you guys. I'm sorry.

~Jo's Boys

Anonymous said...

We suffered a pink eye outbreak a couple of years ago...No fun! A couple were on antibiotics for something, too, and there was so much medication to be given so often, I had to make a staggered checklist on the calander to make sure nobody missed anything!

I hope this doesn't spread...and what happened to John's eyes in '01?

Dy said...

Jennie, the staggered medication chart is what's running through my head right now. Just talked to Zorak - his eye is acting up, too, so he's on his way home. Weeee!

They knew. Her husband told Zorak that's what she had. *sigh* I don't get it, but I do know that they weren't being malicious or anything. And we'd talked before about how kids "get stuff" and it's not that big a deal. I guess I should have pointed out that eye infections count on my Big Deal list.

Anyhow, the Suburban wouldn't start, so we had to call and reschedule our appt. John and I go in at 1:35. In the meantime, they're breakfasted, fed, dressed, and sick... and have no idea what to do with themselves. LOL.

Dy

mere said...

Ooooh, I am so sorry for you. Sometimes, I think people are so worried about disappointing guests or they are just so in need of companionship, that they just don't think about the consequences of having people around them when they are ill. Sometimes, it's just downright negligence, and that's so aggravating.

Just be glad it wasn't rotavirus.

What happened to John's eye in '01?

mere

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dy, how frustrating. It is so difficult when different things qualify as 'big deals' in different mothers' eyes, isn't it? I hope John's eyes (and Zorak's, too) get better in a hurry.