Tuesday, December 12

I'm not coming out!

And nobody can make me! Not unless they have my creamer.

For the third time this month, I have returned from the market, only to find at least one item from my cart made it over the scanner, and onto the receipt, yet is not among my belongings. The other two times, it was frivolous things. This time, though, it's serious: my creamer. And I carelessly used the very last drop of what I had left, thinking I could just open the new container. *phew* Tomorrow's going to be harsh.

Zorak picked up the cabinets on his way home from work. They're in. Kinda sorta. Technically, they aren't going to fall on anybody, but we can't load them up yet. There's a lot of shimming, and banging, and probably some calling on unseen forces to be done first. Stoopid studs. Everything we put in is straight. Unfortunately, our Forever Home wasn't framed out by us, or by anyone with access to a plumb line or a level, and we had to work with the pigeon-toed studs as we went. That means our walls have a delightfully contemporary (if it's the 1960's) wave theme to them. None of those rigid right-angles and flat planes for this house. I suppose if we ever have to market it, we can simply refer to the "soothing undulations of nature which resonate throughout the home". Right? The difference, though, is already stunning. It'll be even more impressive when we can once again see the countertops!

For anyone who was wondering, a grahpite high seems to last a mere 48 hours. Not bad for .10 a pack, eh? We're all doing much better today.

The boys helped me empty the bookshelf, and then I moved it to the school room. We loaded the school books onto it (thus freeing the living room for a more aesthetically pleasing collection than overstuffed binders and random scraps of paper), and unloaded six boxes of books (small boxes, but exciting anyway). We love new books, even when they're actually just old favorites unearthed (or maybe it's because they're old favorites?) The boys spent the evening wallowing in books. I just wandered back and forth in the living room, looking into the kitchen, into the school room, back to the kitchen, back to the school room. Ahhhh. It's getting better. Definitely better.

We actually did a bit of school today. The boys wanted to do history - they are excited about Rome. Then they asked for a little science over lunch. What am I going to say? "No, you've learned enough this year." Pfft. So, science it was. When they moved their school books, you'd have thought their math books were the Holy Grail, and they were the knights who say, "ni!" Two hours later, it just felt like time to read a bit. I truly have no desire to unschool, but I can see how it could work beautifully for some families. I share this, not to bring on a case of the comparisons, but because it encouraged me today, more than anything, to realize that we have done it. We've created a rich, interactive, healthy learning environment. *ding* *ding* *ding* We have a winner, folks! (Yes, it's like winning the goldfish at the fair. One of those, "Wow, how'd this happen" moments that, in all its rarity, isn't of the paralyzing fear kind. This one is good!) This whole thing has been SO worth it, and this is just the week that I needed a reminder of that.

And now, it's after two. Between Smidge and Miss Emily, this is the first time the house has all four children asleep so far tonight. Oy. I'm gonna follow them before one of them decides it's time to be up again! :-D

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

our walmart is 14 miles away almost eery time something is missing here too. One time it was ribs and porkchops and those arent cheap! So I didnt want to drive all the way back to explain my case.It sucks I do try to keep an eye on the bags from now on though. Youre kids are so lucky to be learning at home!

Laura said...

I'm surprised - I had you pegged as a gal who took her coffee straight up! My children could empathize with you on the cream, though. When there's nothing here to whiten their coffee they sadly give it a pass.

You'll have to come visit me and see *real* undulations in walls, floors and roof. I'm going to try to take a picture of the downstairs hallway for you later and post it to my blog - the wall curves, and the floor goes up and down. Our living room floor is so hilly that on one wall we have about six inches of shims shoring up the bookcases so they don't slam down on top of us.

Honestly, I think that given enough time, all houses settle and their "settlement" just gets more obvious the older they get - kind of like laugh lines and wrinkles on us!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of the finished kitchen. I loved your description of the learning environment in your family. As any regular reader knows, that is something that resonates throughout all your posts. Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your creamer is with Ed's drill, sander, and gallon of glue. We know where they Should be, and we don't see them frolicking gaily outside the window. Where do these things go?

It is wonderful that the boys are so eager to learn. I know that unschooling works for some families, and I also know that it Would Not work for us. T. would be perfectly happy drawing his cartoons All day, every day, if I let him. I look forward to seeing the new cabinets!

Laney said...

Ugh! I *hate* when that happens!! It's aggrevating enough to have to go to the store, but to have to go back! Unthinkable!

We have fallen into the same unschooling type of rhythm, it's amazing how much they remember when the "pressure" is off.

xxx Laney

Dy said...

Laney, Go back? It's 20 miles! Zorak's at the Pig right now, getting me an emergency bottle until I can get back into town. I should get him a Trusty Steed for Christmas. He's so good to me. :-)

Oh, Melora! I feel your pain. And confusion. For us, the quickest and easiest way to find those kinds of things was to buy replacements - they'd turn up the very next morning. *sigh*

Laura, Oh, can I admit that when I saw your home was going to be on the tour, I was sorely tempted to try to talk Zorak into driving down there to see it, and meet you? You've done beautiful things with your home, but I'm glad to know you have undulations, too. All the cool homes do, ya know. ;-) I like the idea of laugh lines.

I'll drink the coffee any way I can get it. Used to be a cream 'n sugar gal, but then they came out with these flavored creamers... it's more addictive than the caffeine itself! However, when there is nothing to put it in, it's still a food group on its own. Definitely.

Ang, I think it's that horrible little swivel thing, and the confusion that ensues with loading the bags. I would personally remove every one of those bag-go-rounds if HQ wouldn't arrest me. Just put the things in the bag, the bag in the cart. That worked for years! But I'm starting to think everything gets swallowed by the bag-go-round. Hmpf.

Dy