Thursday, December 14

Deliciously Fun



Those are Smidge's cookies. He went in for the Immersion Approach to cookie decorating. By the time we were done, he looked a lot like the one on the right.

We wanted a really great red, but didn't have cream coloring, so the icing was a little too runny. It took a little while to get used to working with it. The candy cane in the next picture looked fine when John called me to come see, but when he looked down, it had s-p-r-e-a-d. (He said it tasted great, though!)


James went with a more minimalist approach this year. Many of his cookies have a message of some sort, highlighted by edge icing, or underlined. Not so much on the whole slathering all flat surfaces with icing approach.


I thought it was all about the icing (mine look a lot like Smidge's and John's *grin*), but James says it's an artform. You know, Zen and the Art of Cookie Decorating. Big hit among the 8-10 crowd this year.

And the best part? Those are wheat-free Christmas Sugar Cookies! WOOHOO! I took the standard recipe from KitchenGifts.com and modified it. The results were spectacular. (Too good, in fact. We made one batch of regular flour and one batch of wheat-free, and visually there is no difference. Taste? No difference. This is when it would be handy to be better organized.)

Can't wait to hear about your favorite goodies at the Virtual Tour tomorrow! *hint* *hint*

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! They are all yummy looking, and James' is quite amazing. Neither of my kids has shown much patience for detailed decorating (but maybe this season will be different -- I'll have to mix some cookies & frosting and let them try again). Good job on finding a wheat free recipe that looks & tastes just like regular cookies!

H said...

Oh! Paint brushes! What a fantastic idea! I have always made my poor little guys spread frosting with table knives. (Poor guys!) But paint brushes are so much more manageable for little hands!

It looks like you all had a great time. (Smidge's decorating looks delicious!)

Merry Christmas!
Hillary

Anonymous said...

Dy,

It certainly looks like they enjoyed it! Would you mind sharing how you modified the wheat-free recipe? This is the first wheat-free Christmas season and, let's just say that the chickens will get last night's shortbread attempt:)

Many thanks,
Karen J

Delaina said...

I really enjoyed the pictures! Thanks for sharing. The cookies look scrumdeliumptious!!

I, too, love the paint brush idea.

We've reserved next week for baking, crafting and making more ornaments. I just can't wait!! I'll definitely keep the paint brush in mind for the cookie decorating.

Will you be attempting a family photo for this Christmas season? I took some of the littles last night and there are a few of me with them but no pictures of David :-(. I'm working on it.

My hope is to get the cards out by Monday. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to get with you and get your address to send one your way. I also have another little something to send with it. Don't ask! It's a surprise ;-)

Talk to you soon!

J-Lynn said...

Oh Dy, this is why I miss you most. My kids don't have any places to make messy crafts. I'm still way too over my head to do this kind of stuff. We have some crafty friends but as they have more kids they get less crafty as well. I'm hoping by next Christmas to have my act together - we'll see.

Start getting Easter crafts ready for April will ya? LOL