Friday, December 29

Post-Holiday Daze

I awoke this morning at some awful hour to the sound of Zorak's phone playing the Radetzsky March. That sounds like something out of a horror film when it wakes you from a dead sleep. I stumbled into the living room, prepared to do battle with an evil clown and its demonic calliope, only to find my beloved preparing to head out to go hunting. Really, a good old alarm wouldn't serve the same purpose? So now, he's out the door, and I'm sitting here, a little dazed, wondering if I should just go back to bed, or do something productive.

We're all a bit dazed, actually, in spite of the fact that we've cut our turkey intake with a good deal of ham. We're full to the top of good things, new things, and things in general. We're floating in an eddy created by the swirling of necessities and luxuries coming together. (Yes, I know, everyone should be so fortunate. That we acknowledge our blessings, though, doesn't make us any better at handling them.) I don't know about the others, but I'm ready to take the tree and all the trimmings down NOW. I'm ready to get back to the business of schooling and building and preparing for Spring (which will come far too soon for me to be ready for it!) I'm done. I've had my fill. And next year, I think we're going to put non-blinking lights on the tree.

I also think that when we vault the living room ceiling, we're going to add a pocket door at the beginning of the hallway. There's a lot of cleaning I could be doing while everyone sleeps, but the light and noise will drift straight down the hall and before I could make any actual progress, all the little ones will be awake. Yes, a door would be handy.

And, as if on cue, John's up. Why is he up? He's never up this early. Well, he looks happy, and says he's hungry. Time for the day to begin!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about being ready to get back to school & renovations. Part of me thinks that it would be nice to have the tree up until Epiphany, but a bigger, less contemplative part wants to get back to Normal.
You are vaulting your living room ceiling? The door sounds like a good idea, but vaulting a ceiling sounds like a Very Interesting Project.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE pocket doors! We stayed at my uncle's house for a couple of weeks when we first moved to Illinois, and he had one in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure all internal doors should just disappear into the wall like that! Think of all the extra space we'd gain!

And the Holi-Daze is almost over...just another week, then life will go on as usual. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. :) I meant to get the tree down today; maybe tomorrow. But I am DONE with the holidays and I'm ready to get back to normal.

Bob and Claire said...

Yep, I'm with you--ready to get back to good old routine! But now it turns out Bob has Tuesday off as well, for a day of mourning (since we knew Pres. Ford so well, LOL), so I guess routine will have to wait a bit longer. Maybe I'll take the tree down Tuesday . . . that's an idea!